Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 999 1000 [1001] 1002 1003 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863095 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15000 on: November 28, 2014, 12:19:58 pm »

I can't build an improvised shelter despite having all the required ingredients and tools.

Is this a bug or am I not able to build on in the forest? :P
Do you have the skill? The shelter uses survival, not construction, if I remember right.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15001 on: November 28, 2014, 12:25:48 pm »

Yep!

Spoiler: Reference (click to show/hide)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15002 on: November 28, 2014, 12:27:05 pm »

It has to be built on a shallow pit, did you build that yet?
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15003 on: November 28, 2014, 12:28:50 pm »

I am a derp. Yep. Apologies, false alarm. Did not see that portion of the screen XD

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15004 on: November 28, 2014, 02:11:25 pm »

I don't believe there's any year stat.
Correct, the game just counts the number of 6-second increments since the cataclysm. (Though starting a new game might make some schnanigans show up, since at that point IIRC you technically start back at the same time your first character spawned.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15005 on: November 28, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »

Well, it will keep your base warm for as long as your base's expected lifetime.
For me, that's years.  I've already rolled back over into spring, survived over a year.
Put in another way, if you set fire to a pile of infinite corpses next to you, you'll be warm for the rest of your life.
'Give man a fire and he'll be warm for an evening, but set a bunch of other people on fire and he'll be warm for a lifetime'?
More like "Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for an evening. Set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life".

>.> I'm aware of that quote, I paraphrased it on purpose.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15006 on: November 28, 2014, 08:25:42 pm »

You know, I just had a thought. Wasn't the original main use of alcohol water purification? A very small amount of alcohol would render a fairly large volume of water safe to drink, and it wouldn't really be alcoholic enough to make you drunk...

Of course, there's so much booze floating around that would make water a non issue in a town of any kind of size. Still, might be useful for getting safe drinking water on the quick without having to resort to fire and pots or cumbersome water purification machines or limited supply purification tablets.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #15007 on: November 28, 2014, 08:37:38 pm »

Really, there should be different kinds of water contamination. Bacterial can be cleaned up easily by alcohol, but industrial pollution is much more recalcitrant.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15008 on: November 28, 2014, 08:41:21 pm »

You're probably thinking of the early beers/meads/ales/etc.
Back before the Renaissance, there was no real concept of bacterial infestation, and it just so happened that the brews of antiquity happened to be the only sanitary source of water. (Also, they were weak as shit compared to today's alcohol and concentrations thereof.)

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15009 on: November 28, 2014, 08:59:52 pm »

Really, there should be different kinds of water contamination. Bacterial can be cleaned up easily by alcohol, but industrial pollution is much more recalcitrant.

sometimes I feel like I'm the only one without the advanced vocabulary. :o
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15010 on: November 28, 2014, 09:07:37 pm »

Pretty sure they knew it cleaned water before the Renaissance. It doesn't take much to notice people drinking water from impure sources regularly getting sick, and people drinking water with alcohol in it not. You don't need to know about bacteria to note simple cause and effect.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15011 on: November 28, 2014, 09:08:40 pm »

You're probably thinking of the early beers/meads/ales/etc.
Back before the Renaissance, there was no real concept of bacterial infestation, and it just so happened that the brews of antiquity happened to be the only sanitary source of water. (Also, they were weak as shit compared to today's alcohol and concentrations thereof.)

Not necessarily true. Breweries made both 'small' or low-alcohol and normal ales. They of course didn't have distillation like we do now, so no liquors but they could make perfectly strong ales, meads, and wines.

Also, the alcohol was not the primary disinfectant. The reason ales were safe to drink is because the water was boiled. A lot of bacteria don't actually give that much of a shit about alcohol.
Nothing important here, move along.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15012 on: November 28, 2014, 10:41:53 pm »

Then uhh... why pour it on wounds to disinfect them if they don't care about it?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #15013 on: November 28, 2014, 10:50:20 pm »

High concentrations of alcohol will still kill most things, but the concentrations you'd find in small beer weren't very high.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15014 on: November 28, 2014, 10:52:34 pm »

Also, concentrated methanol or isopropyl alcohol kills about 60% of bacteria last I heard, which is... kinda alright, I guess. Definitely not on the level of proper antibiotics, and definitely definitely not sanitary, much less sterile. Alcohol also has other beneficial effects for wound treatment beyond killing bacteria, like astringency, which slows down blood flow and helps to both prevent clotting and slow down the uptake of bacteria.

60% bacteria death doesn't cut it for brewing. The remaining bacteria would kill off the yeast culture of the brew, so they boiled it. Boiled water is sterile, 99.999% of bacteria and viruses are killed.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 999 1000 [1001] 1002 1003 ... 1086