Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862636 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14235 on: November 01, 2014, 06:28:27 pm »

Apparently you mashed your face into the shards of glass because game mechanics.

You can smash broken windows - "from the X you hear glass crunching!" to prevent cutting yourself on it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14236 on: November 01, 2014, 07:12:17 pm »

Or just use the construction mean and clean the window :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14237 on: November 01, 2014, 07:13:07 pm »

Still, I mean, I climbed through a window. WHy am I rubbing my eyes against the broken glass?

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14238 on: November 01, 2014, 07:19:10 pm »

Still, I mean, I climbed through a window. WHy am I rubbing my eyes against the broken glass?

Safety first man, gotta test if it is safe to pass.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14239 on: November 01, 2014, 08:20:32 pm »

Why *wouldn't* you rub your eyes on the broken glass?  Maybe you were all stressed and stuff, and couldn't stand to potentially see your loved ones zombified...  :P

Edit: Also, any helpful advice that could help me with the following day after this
Raid carefully into town if possible to grab some food, water and clothing.  As you're heading into town, lure zombies away from your path one by one, kill them by luring them through bushes and other rough terrain while you throw rocks at them/hit them while they're in the bush and then retreat around another bush, luring them through that, rinse and repeat.

If you see a tough looking zombie, run away and try another way.

A couple of pointy sticks make decent throwing weapons if you have the capacity, and don't worry about leaving em behind.  Otherwise pick up a couple rocks to throw, or whatever other likely junk you can find.  It's *always* worth dinging an approaching enemy as much as possible before it gets into range it can damage you.

Grab a couple days worth of food and liquids, a sewing kit if you can find one, and then as much likely looking clothing as you can carry/wear without increasing your encumbrance (replace your pants with cargo pants, add ONE utility vest or backpack, if you can't find any of those make a bindle or makeshift sling out of a bedsheet/rags but ONLY when you've got a safe route out of town because they're super burdensome and combat will kill ya).

Haul your loots back to the shelter, rip up/cut up ((a)pply a knife) the crap clothes to make rags, make socks and glove liners and easy clothing, repair your good damaged clothing, make it fit (reduces burdening) then reinforce it.  Keep doing that until you have a decent, nonburdening set - light gloves and armwarmer/legwarmers/long underwear for a bit of warmth, cargo pants and other not-so-burdensome carrying stuff for carrying capacity, an outer layer like a trench coat (or whatever is a decent, early protective layer now, I haven't played for a couple of weeks) and some kind of helmet, eye protection and filter mask.  Work on this stuff at night while crafting by the light of the terminal in the shelter.  Drop a pile of clothing/rags at the bottom of the stairs to sleep for now, til you can fnd/craft a bed.

Yeah I always shoot for making a bow asap, they rock (eventually).  Use firearms as little as possible 'cause they're noisy and ammo is hard to come by early on.  But if it's noise or death, pick noise...

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14240 on: November 01, 2014, 09:37:39 pm »

I always play with 91 day seasons c: makes a 364 day year, In my stable version save I have everything I could ever need, I doubt I would ever die at this point unless something unexpected happened. so very boring.

As decent at the game I am, I said my big weakness is I rely VERY heavily on bows, Its never been a problem since I've survived solely on the use of a bow and arrows, but if I run out of ammo or get in too much pain to use it, and I'm in bad situation? DEAD. besides that meh. c: I like how you can actually store arrows in the quiver now.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14241 on: November 01, 2014, 09:39:25 pm »

My problem I always had with bows is that I generally don't have too great a strength and metal arrows weigh a lot.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14242 on: November 01, 2014, 11:43:25 pm »

Ah, I almost always have great strength - as a certified pack rat I hate not being able to carry tons of stuff.  Plus melee weapons getting stuck in targets is really annoying, and the higher hit points and melee damage is niiiiice.  And don't the good bows need fairly high str?  Or am I confusing systems :D   

I shave points off dex before strength - it seems high dex is only noticeable early on, after some levels of melee and dodge it's not so awful to have a middling dex. ("middling" for me is 10ish, I don't like to go TOO low 'cause it is still a factor in a bunch of useful things...)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14243 on: November 01, 2014, 11:47:01 pm »

I like 12 - 16. Then again, I play with 1000 starting points, so yeah.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Carsonjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14244 on: November 02, 2014, 12:11:34 am »

Ah, I almost always have great strength - as a certified pack rat I hate not being able to carry tons of stuff.  Plus melee weapons getting stuck in targets is really annoying, and the higher hit points and melee damage is niiiiice.  And don't the good bows need fairly high str?  Or am I confusing systems :D   

I shave points off dex before strength - it seems high dex is only noticeable early on, after some levels of melee and dodge it's not so awful to have a middling dex. ("middling" for me is 10ish, I don't like to go TOO low 'cause it is still a factor in a bunch of useful things...)

Selfbows don't have a requirement, while the rest range from 8-12 strength. So you have all that carry weight from your strength, and don't have to find a safe place to drop everything when you need to fight. Just gotta have arrows! :D The lower bows are pretty bad though, so it's a bit of a grind at first. But it pays off.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14245 on: November 02, 2014, 12:46:19 am »

A bug I just discovered, to my joy, you can get back more rags than you put into an item. I'm crafting a sleeveless trench coat, which requires 9 rags. I cut it up with a pair of scissors, and I get an average of 12 rags back.

blazing glory

« Reply #14246 on: November 02, 2014, 05:46:59 am »

So, I'm more or less a vet (despite a bunch of bad habits that tend to get me killed early on.) but after a while I decided to download the latest experimental and I'm greeted by diesel engines, so what's the difference from normal engines? Except for the fact that they are harder to get fuel for and tend to be mounted on trucks.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14247 on: November 02, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »

Hi guys, haven't played in a while and have a couple of questions about mods.

Is there a mod removing the supernatural/demon enemies without removing zombies? (the "no monsters" mod appears to remove everything except wildlife)

Where can I read more about what the dinosaur mod does? And what are its compatibilities with e.g. "no monsters" or other mods that change spawns?

I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14248 on: November 02, 2014, 01:27:10 pm »

Classic zombies in the options menu (not the Mod menu) turns off... I'm not sure. Shockers are probably out, but are hunters? Brutes and hulks? Zombears? I've not played with it myself.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14249 on: November 02, 2014, 01:40:47 pm »

Classic zombies in the options menu (not the Mod menu) turns off... I'm not sure. Shockers are probably out, but are hunters? Brutes and hulks? Zombears? I've not played with it myself.
All that are left are Zombies, Child Zombies, Tough Zombies, Decayed Zombies, Soldier Zombies, Cop Zombies, Firefighter Zombies, and Crawler Zombies. There are no zonimals. There are regular animals. Temples, anthills, military sites, missile silos, rifts, caves, and probably something else do not spawn. It's kind of linear if you play it like this, because you have to survive until your melee skill is high enough to mow down hordes of boring zombies or can make an OP ranged weapon like a pneumatic rifle, but that also leaves you open to make a death car of ultimate awesome and stuff.

This is all from Stable 0.A, so take it with a grain of salt.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1086