Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 930 931 [932] 933 934 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862020 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13965 on: October 11, 2014, 10:46:59 am »

In Cataclysm, a teleporter turret is a bad thing.
Spoiler: Lore spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13966 on: October 11, 2014, 02:10:57 pm »

Like what kind of exotic options?
I meant like the ones you already made, like a nailgun turret or maybe a pneumatic rock thrower turret.  I like the lategame idea of having a base defended by autoturrets but the current vanilla guns seem to mostly be good at wasting hard to find ammo on rabbits (and missing 99 out of 100 shots anyway).  Weaker autoturrets able to use less precious ammo types like nails or pebbles sound cool.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13967 on: October 11, 2014, 02:39:38 pm »

the current vanilla guns seem to mostly be good at wasting hard to find ammo on rabbits (and missing 99 out of 100 shots anyway).

Ain't that the truth. I tried mounting an NX charge rifle on a buggy for cheap fire support. A few weeks of heavy exploration later, the sum total of it's kills was a single zombie dog. I shudder to think about loading .50 BMG into a real turret...so wasteful.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13968 on: October 11, 2014, 02:57:52 pm »

the current vanilla guns seem to mostly be good at wasting hard to find ammo on rabbits (and missing 99 out of 100 shots anyway).

Ain't that the truth. I tried mounting an NX charge rifle on a buggy for cheap fire support. A few weeks of heavy exploration later, the sum total of it's kills was a single zombie dog. I shudder to think about loading .50 BMG into a real turret...so wasteful.

Sawn-off and ammo on your seat. Best turret you can get. Chances are, unless something already is in range, you don't need to have it shot.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13969 on: October 11, 2014, 03:01:07 pm »

But... but what if I'm really... reeeeeallly lazy?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13970 on: October 11, 2014, 04:07:48 pm »

I meant like the ones you already made, like a nailgun turret or maybe a pneumatic rock thrower turret.  I like the lategame idea of having a base defended by autoturrets but the current vanilla guns seem to mostly be good at wasting hard to find ammo on rabbits (and missing 99 out of 100 shots anyway).  Weaker autoturrets able to use less precious ammo types like nails or pebbles sound cool.
Dual and Quadruple Nail Turrets are already in the mod, for 2x and 4x burst. Quad SMGs are also in there and can be swapped between .22, 9mm, and .45 by reinstalling them (Also 2x and 4x burst). I went for lower bursts precisely to conserve ammo. Compare it to the current M249 (Will always fire 30 shots even if the target would die to 1), and the M2 Browning (Burst 25). The splintergun essentially uses scrap.  There are no arrows since there's a bolt turret and bolts are much easier to make. Any other materials you think we can use?

I had a pebble gun using 2x pneumatic assault rifles; I guess I forgot to port it to this current version.

Note that the energy turrets consume quite a bit of energy; they're meant to be hooked up to a base's solar grid or on a car that has a plutonium reactor/tons of quantum solar panels.

Maybe a "cutting claw" "turret"? Less an actual turret, and more of a doorway guard. Anything that comes into range is immediately assaulted by powered claws, expending battery power on the turret.
It's possible by adding the "WHIP" effect, but If I set the range too low you get loads of debug messages.

A TELEPROT TURRET. SHOOTS TELEPROT AT ENEMY, ENEMY LOOKS DOWN. ENEMY DIES IN LAVA.
"This weapon contains a portal generator that generates a stream of a degenerating, unstable universes. They decompose before they can expand, but meanwhile they are rapidly attracted to nearby matter; exploding violently upon contact before moving towards anything else unfortunate enough to be nearby. It is theorized that the use of this weapon will permanently scar the fabric of the universe as well as cause genocide on an unimaginable scale as the generated universes release massive amounts of radio static which is said to be the cries of their inhabitants as they plunge helplessly to their inevitable doom."

It's possible, but most likely overpowered.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13971 on: October 11, 2014, 04:53:48 pm »

Heh. I love the RPG characters mod. The Ranger is OP. Day one and I kill a moose with most of me still intact.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13972 on: October 11, 2014, 06:09:50 pm »

Heh. I love the RPG characters mod. The Ranger is OP. Day one and I kill a moose with most of me still intact.

Link?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13973 on: October 11, 2014, 06:21:28 pm »

Also known as "Classic Roguelike Classes" in world generation in the newest experimentals.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13974 on: October 11, 2014, 06:52:21 pm »

Yeah it's a built-in mod. It's super fun. Might try a different one next time but I'm all set up in a motel with a pool :D

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13975 on: October 11, 2014, 10:29:47 pm »

any chance of the mod becoming main branch

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13976 on: October 11, 2014, 10:48:05 pm »

The RPG characters mod is technically already part of the main branch since it comes prepackaged; just turn it on.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #13977 on: October 12, 2014, 12:07:51 am »

I thought only the trigger-happy bad trait was supposed to waste a bunch of ammo during a burst?
Did it really get changed to where there's no way to fire less than a full magazine from a 249? I have to object if that's the case, both from a professional and personal standpoint. Not that that means much, but there's some actual experience talking here.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13978 on: October 12, 2014, 01:08:32 am »

They're talking about turrets.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #13979 on: October 12, 2014, 01:20:08 am »

That's... even more unusual then. If it's intelligent enough to see something's a living creature, it should be at least as capable as firing effective bursts.

I honestly would not expect negative traits to be the default for non-player entities. (Both turrets and NPCs.)
Pages: 1 ... 930 931 [932] 933 934 ... 1086