Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860545 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13725 on: September 22, 2014, 03:09:13 am »

i suppose they're just of

cataclysmic volume

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13726 on: September 22, 2014, 03:16:20 am »

You could also say

they wake the dead

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13727 on: September 22, 2014, 04:36:50 am »

If someone fixes it, they could add a failed bionic: 'The faulty airway augmentation causes your sneezes to expel matter at supersonic speeds, rendering them extremely loud'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13728 on: September 22, 2014, 04:43:57 am »

That or going off like a flashbang when you sneeze. Either would be hilarious and have good and bad points.

Well, the cough you manage to produce while having a cold is as loud as flashbangs, so why not sneezes? :P

Seriously, why is coughing the same volume as a flashbang?
*shrug* 's been like that since before DDA was a thing, 's just nobody's gotten around to fixing it yet.

While this is true, there should still be some kind of reason behind it. I guess the point is moot, though, since no-one here knows the reason, what with everyone not being Wales.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13729 on: September 22, 2014, 05:34:37 am »

If someone fixes it, they could add a failed bionic: 'The faulty airway augmentation causes your sneezes to expel matter at supersonic speeds, rendering them extremely loud'.
This needs to happen.

I have not witnessed for myself how loud coughs are, but this is still really funny.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13730 on: September 22, 2014, 07:50:24 am »

Yeah, but it's hard to outrun a 120mm shell.

By the way, why does the sheltered scenario give you 3 points? If anything, it should give you less, since it's so much easier (you start in a LMOE shelter). Is it intended as some kind of easy mode for n00b?
It makes you start during the winter. I died due to lack of clothing, even with skill in tailoring and survival.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13731 on: September 22, 2014, 08:32:00 am »

It makes you start during the winter. I died due to lack of clothing, even with skill in tailoring and survival.
Ha, I thought it was just 7 free points, that does make it a bit tougher (of COURSE I switched professions for the build points).  I didn't actually register that it was winter, I thought it was the usual cold spring start.

No sign of an axe, and stone axe needs a book recipe now right?   Hmm, how long does the wood from the crates and furniture last as fire?  Let's see, at least made hand wraps and bandanas from the sheets on the bed, ahh I can smash small trees for heavy sticks, OK whew I might survive a little while then...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13732 on: September 22, 2014, 08:50:27 am »

You could try raiding a clothing store. If you get lucky you can find trenchcoats/peacoats and other clothing that offers a fair bit of warm and covers several body parts, while also offering some extra storage.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13733 on: September 22, 2014, 08:58:30 am »

Yea but I picked the default LMOE shelter and so far haven't even seen an inkling of a road, let alone a city.  And I'm not gonna go wandering far until I have at least SOME clothing - I'm slowly accumulating furs and leather, are animals a lot rarer now than they were in builds a few months ago?  Or is it the winter?  This is the 1st time I ever started in winter, in a normal game by winter I'm either long dead or pretty completely tooled up...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13734 on: September 22, 2014, 01:58:46 pm »

No sign of an axe, and stone axe needs a book recipe now right?

Stone axe is autolearned after some levels in both fabrication and survival.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13735 on: September 22, 2014, 09:11:14 pm »

Yea but I picked the default LMOE shelter and so far haven't even seen an inkling of a road, let alone a city.  And I'm not gonna go wandering far until I have at least SOME clothing - I'm slowly accumulating furs and leather, are animals a lot rarer now than they were in builds a few months ago?  Or is it the winter?  This is the 1st time I ever started in winter, in a normal game by winter I'm either long dead or pretty completely tooled up...

Winter means that most all the critters are zombified, and the bears that aren't zombear'd are hibernating.  So yeah, those points aren't free.

FWIW tank drones are speed 100, same as a typical human.  VIS50 means that you've got a little more sight range than they do.  Cloaking devices work just fine--I've heard reports of folks cloaking and meleeing the dang things.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13736 on: September 22, 2014, 11:15:15 pm »

I am getting really tired of getting slashing weapons stuck in things. I finally made myself a decent weapon, a lajatang. But I can't hit more then once with it, because it gets stuck and jerked out of my hands. Strength of 11, above average[Always worked for unsticking my KNIFE SPEAR and other piercing weapons], Melee skill of 5, Cutting Weapons of 3. This seems a bit like a bug. I mean, I'm about 90% sure that if a sword got jerked out of your hand EVERY SINGLE HIT, they wouldn't be practical weapons. And they are, assuming you're not up against guns or polearms. Is there some hidden attribute for certain weapons that makes them more likely to get stuck in things that I can mod out/down? Does higher Cutting Weapons skill help? Is this less ridiculous in the latest experimentals? Is this a problem unique to the lajatand and should I use a makeshift machete until I have enough skill to not get it stuck in everything? Because right now, as far as I can tell, slashing weapons are completely useless. I crawl out of every fight with my head and torso in the red because I lost ~10 turns pulling my weapon out of my enemy and took a ton of free hits. The only reason I sort of survived is because my 2-by-sword got me basic tools and let me clear a small area. Once I made it into a crude sword, I started failing. I thought part of it was my low cutting weapons skill or maybe just the low quality of the crude sword. But upgrading to a lajatang made the problem WORSE. I can't fight MEESE, let alone wolves or bears consistently. Zombies are out of the question.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13737 on: September 23, 2014, 12:35:13 am »

I think lajatang's sticking so much is an oversight. Lajatang's don't have any attack flags; thus they are treated as improvised weaponry, doubling their "stickiness".

Stickiness is dependent on the weapon's movement cost (Which is linked to their weight). Hence, heavier weapons are more prone to sticking. From what you've experienced,  Crude swords are twice as heavy as 2-by-swords (both lack weapon flags), so suffer twice as much. And lajatangs weigh more than twice what crude swords do so...

Knife spears have the "Spear" tag, which halves their stickiness, which was why you had little issue pulling those out.

Higher cutting skill reduces a cutting weapon's stickiness while piercing skill does the same for piercing weapons. From what I can tell, each level is a d20, so your 3 cutting skill reduces the stickiness from anything between 3 and 60.

Moving beyond flags, having bashing damage on a weapon significantly reduces stickiness. Hence your 2-by-sword, dealing practically no cutting damage, never really got stuck. Whereas lajatangs (2 bash and 26 cutting), suffers from extreme stickiness.

If you want to fix this, add the weapon tags to the affected weapons. "CHOP" for crude swords and lajatangs.

Spoiler: Numbers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:14:22 am by Blaze »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13738 on: September 23, 2014, 01:02:38 am »

Man, you guys are making me appreciate my early zweihander more and more :)

That combined with me surviving the 10 extra points worse scenario, my guy is sitting pretty on traits and attributes.

Now I just need to find a good electronics book so I can install all these CBM I tore out of shocker zombies and go clear out and reinforce the nearby mall.

Also, I heard that NPCs work now? Are there factions?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13739 on: September 23, 2014, 01:13:33 am »

Moose aren't push-overs with a 3d4 bash and 100 hp, according to the wiki.

Honestly, they should probably get a buff to weight, if weight matters much.  Wikipedia claims the Western Moose adult weighs 270 to 720 kg.
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 1086