Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860284 times)

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13245 on: August 28, 2014, 08:05:50 pm »

No, it's not that bad. It's still a bitch (no pun intended) early on, but mostly when you get mobbed by wolves or harrassed by zombie dogs while being chased by a horde of zombies.

They're also vulnerable to throwing, which is why all my starter characters tote a pile of rocks with them, and my more experienced characters have a stack of lawn darts, or throwing knives, or other decent throwing weapons at all times.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13246 on: August 28, 2014, 09:28:44 pm »

No, it's not that bad. It's still a bitch (no pun intended) early on, but mostly when you get mobbed by wolves or harrassed by zombie dogs while being chased by a horde of zombies.

They're also vulnerable to throwing, which is why all my starter characters tote a pile of rocks with them, and my more experienced characters have a stack of lawn darts, or throwing knives, or other decent throwing weapons at all times.
So what you're saying is we need to find a way to make our characters "throw their fist"? And then we will be unstoppable.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13247 on: August 28, 2014, 11:05:00 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to have so much dodge that nothing can hit you.

I'd have to look at the code to be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the function was asymptotic.

--

So I checked the code.

At least I can now say that you can always be hit, no matter how high your dodge skill and dexterity gets.

For some reason, it's easier to fall over with one rollerskate/blade than with two.  Makes no sense IMO.

Whatever you do, don't wear a rollerskate and a rollerblade at the same time.  Even with 20 dodge and 20 dex you'll be knocked down pretty much always.

If you have already dodged this turn, you get a penalty to your chance to try to dodge, as well as a huge one to your chance to dodge if you try to dodge.  Wow that's insanely and unnecessarily overcomplicated. ::)
The answer to dodge is to start with Zui Quan. From the wiki

Also known as "drunken boxing", Zui Quan imitates the movement of a drunk to confuse the enemy. The turn after you attack, you may dodge any number of attacks with no penalty.

I actually think the practical limit is 50 attacks, but there should be almost no point in time where you have to dodge over 50 attacks and aren't dead for other reasons anyway.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13248 on: August 29, 2014, 12:06:07 am »

I'd have to look at the code to be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the function was asymptotic.

--

So I checked the code.

At least I can now say that you can always be hit, no matter how high your dodge skill and dexterity gets.

For some reason, it's easier to fall over with one rollerskate/blade than with two.  Makes no sense IMO.

Whatever you do, don't wear a rollerskate and a rollerblade at the same time.  Even with 20 dodge and 20 dex you'll be knocked down pretty much always.

If you have already dodged this turn, you get a penalty to your chance to try to dodge, as well as a huge one to your chance to dodge if you try to dodge.  Wow that's insanely and unnecessarily overcomplicated. ::)

Also known as "drunken boxing", Zui Quan imitates the movement of a drunk to confuse the enemy. The turn after you attack, you may dodge any number of attacks with no penalty.

I actually think the practical limit is 50 attacks, but there should be almost no point in time where you have to dodge over 50 attacks and aren't dead for other reasons anyway.

I find it hilarious how Zui Quan actually works against zombies, since I doubt they actually get confused.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13249 on: August 29, 2014, 12:28:32 am »

--

So I checked the code.

I find it hilarious how Zui Quan actually works against zombies, since I doubt they actually get confused.

Well they're just husks inhabited by intelligent good from another dimension. Sure they shamble but they have the capacity for confusion.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13250 on: August 29, 2014, 12:36:05 am »

brainless confusion versus drunken confusion

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #13251 on: August 29, 2014, 01:49:16 am »

I think I get it now...  having one rollerskate/blade means you only have one foot.  That would make things difficult. :)

Also, if there's a mutation that gives you more feet, that would be awesome.  Or stupid. :P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:17:15 am by DreamThorn »
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13252 on: August 29, 2014, 05:13:03 am »

Well they're just husks inhabited by intelligent good from another dimension. Sure they shamble but they have the capacity for confusion.

Well, they also have the capacity for being stunned, so their nervous system works *somehow*. It's just presumably different from regular human nervous system.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13253 on: August 29, 2014, 10:03:50 am »

I think I get it now...  having one rollerskate/blade means you only have one foot.  That would make things difficult. :)

Also, if there's a mutation that gives you more feet, that would be awesome.  Or stupid. :P
There is! Tentacle legs.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13254 on: August 29, 2014, 11:21:13 am »

Tentacle legs is near useless except for silent movement :P

The image however is funny.

An eight(6?) tentacle legged person skating with an AK-47 all tacticooled up.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13255 on: August 29, 2014, 11:33:13 am »

Well. I am mostly horrible at this game. Out of 10 games, only one of them did decently[Due to having a HUGE cache of stuff in the starting bunker], only to get mauled by a web spider. At least my current[11th] character is doing decent. I love my knife spear.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13256 on: August 29, 2014, 12:58:15 pm »

Actually it's because the game supports individualized limb clothing. However the original PR that did it had the portion that split all of the current clothes into 2 separate left and rights had that part rejected unless some UI improvements could be done. As such there's a fair bit of background code that's designed as if you could have individual left and right shoes and gloves.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13257 on: August 29, 2014, 01:26:54 pm »

And there goes my latest character. Killed by a zombie hulk. Although not after killing a whole lot of zombies like a badass. Note to self: Get a sleeping mat or something in future. They're important.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13258 on: August 29, 2014, 02:01:04 pm »

Tentacle legs is near useless except for silent movement :P

The image however is funny.

An eight(6?) tentacle legged person skating with an AK-47 all tacticooled up.

Someone please draw this, I cannot at the moment.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13259 on: August 29, 2014, 02:03:31 pm »

And there goes my latest character. Killed by a zombie hulk. Although not after killing a whole lot of zombies like a badass. Note to self: Get a sleeping mat or something in future. They're important.

Eh, not really. If you smash a window and get some two-by-fours and nails (and a hammer), you can build a makeshift bed practically on day one. And warmth is easily obtainable by piling a ton of clothes, although a blanket is preferable.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 1086