Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860185 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13260 on: August 29, 2014, 02:45:09 pm »

And there goes my latest character. Killed by a zombie hulk. Although not after killing a whole lot of zombies like a badass. Note to self: Get a sleeping mat or something in future. They're important.

Eh, not really. If you smash a window and get some two-by-fours and nails (and a hammer), you can build a makeshift bed practically on day one. And warmth is easily obtainable by piling a ton of clothes, although a blanket is preferable.

That should probably help, although the construction menu says a makeshift bed also requires a blanket to make. Although I'm pretty sure that you can get one of those from smashing an ordinary bed in a home, so that might not present that much of a problem.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:34:55 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13261 on: August 29, 2014, 02:52:37 pm »

And there goes my latest character. Killed by a zombie hulk. Although not after killing a whole lot of zombies like a badass. Note to self: Get a sleeping mat or something in future. They're important.

Eh, not really. If you smash a window and get some two-by-fours and nails (and a hammer), you can build a makeshift bed practically on day one. And warmth is easily obtainable by piling a ton of clothes, although a blanket is preferable.

That should probably help, although the construction menu says a makeshift bed also requires a blanket to make. Although I'm pretty sure that you can get one of those from smashing an ordinary bed in a home, so that might not present that much of a problem.
Correct.  Smashing a curtained window comes into the picture by giving you two sheets, which you can typically dismantle into at least 20 rags (unless you get really unlucky) and use to sew into a blanket. 

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13262 on: August 29, 2014, 03:14:53 pm »

Correct.  Smashing a curtained window comes into the picture by giving you two sheets, which you can typically dismantle into at least 20 rags (unless you get really unlucky) and use to sew into a blanket.

Oh, I could *swear* Makeshift Beds can be made with a sheet. Checking now.

E: confirming. On an experimental from August 11th, you make a bed with Blanket OR Sheet.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:23:11 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13263 on: August 29, 2014, 03:35:55 pm »

In any case, I got my bed made! Although there was a lot of annoying hauling two-by-fours to the basement one at a time, I prevailed.
Spooky Signature

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13264 on: August 29, 2014, 04:15:33 pm »

Why on earth would you haul them one at a time?

With a make-shift sling, you can probably haul a few of them. Maybe 4. If you use two of them, you can haul twice as many.

And they dismantle back into sheets so it's not like you're wasting materials doing so :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13265 on: August 29, 2014, 07:22:32 pm »

Why on earth would you haul them one at a time?

Because my inventory was mostly full and it never occurred to me to put any of it down. Which, in retrospect, was really stupid.
Spooky Signature

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13266 on: August 29, 2014, 08:42:31 pm »

Oh I thought you were just-spawned.

In which case, yeah, you were dumb. :V Well, dumber.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13267 on: August 29, 2014, 08:52:38 pm »

So, latest character is intended to be me. I have found an atomic coffee maker, a katana, and a mobile meth lab, which has been converted into a mobile command center with cargo space, a bed, and a V12 engine. The katana is now the Rising Sun, with "Keizoku wa chikara nari" ("Perseverance is strength" or something like that) engraved on it. I bide my time reading programming books and cutting apart the undead, while working on making a huge German crossbow to kill things with.

I fuggin' love this game.

Also, Arcvasti: If you're having trouble with the game, try using Classic Zombies as a stepping stone.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13268 on: August 29, 2014, 10:16:20 pm »

I've mostly figured out how the game works by this point. I've got a nice little safehouse with a nice stash of skill books, mostly sustainable sources of water, meat, fur, sinew and bones and can kill most varieties of zombie I've seen[With the exception of Hulks]. Largest setback I've run into this time was 4 days of being mostly homebound due to a combination of acid rain and a bad case of the cold.

So, latest character is intended to be me. I have found an atomic coffee maker, a katana, and a mobile meth lab, which has been converted into a mobile command center with cargo space, a bed, and a V12 engine. The katana is now the Rising Sun, with "Keizoku wa chikara nari" ("Perseverance is strength" or something like that) engraved on it. I bide my time reading programming books and cutting apart the undead, while working on making a huge German crossbow to kill things with.

I fuggin' love this game..

0_0 You can DO that?

* Arcvasti's eyes light up with desire
Spooky Signature

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13269 on: August 29, 2014, 10:21:07 pm »

The one skill (as in, player skill) that set me on the path to not-dying-every-time-I-went-anywhere was using bushes to slow down zombies. Get them to walk into a bush by positioning yourself so the bush is between you and the zed, wait a few turns until it enters the bush, then whack him a few times, just enough to do some damage, and then run away to find a new bush before the zed has managed to hit you.

If you do it right, you'll either never take any damage, or take so little damage as to it not mattering all that much.

Makes raiding *so* much easier.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13270 on: August 30, 2014, 05:37:25 am »

I've mostly figured out how the game works by this point. I've got a nice little safehouse with a nice stash of skill books, mostly sustainable sources of water, meat, fur, sinew and bones and can kill most varieties of zombie I've seen[With the exception of Hulks]. Largest setback I've run into this time was 4 days of being mostly homebound due to a combination of acid rain and a bad case of the cold.

0_0 You can DO that?

Do what, specifically? Engrave? Use a knife-type object and pick Engrave Item.

Also, I don't recall if they are in the stable release yet, but those modern/rich houses (the ones with stone walls and glass walls instead of windows) are fucking awesome for survival - they have fireplaces pre-installed and, more importantly, they have ponds. Which means an endless water source right outside your doorstep. They also look pretty damn nice with Coleen tileset.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13271 on: August 30, 2014, 11:24:10 am »

0_0 You can DO that?

Do what, specifically? Engrave? Use a knife-type object and pick Engrave Item.

No, make vehicles like that. Thus far, I've been sort of avoiding diving into the game's absurdly complicated vehicle system. Although the Mechanics skill books I brought back from that school raid might change that.
Spooky Signature

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13272 on: August 30, 2014, 11:27:28 am »

There are books in schools? I thought those places were useless zombie death traps like office buildings and apartment blocks.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13273 on: August 30, 2014, 11:57:58 am »

Both of those are moderately useless, you can find some nice shit in offices.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13274 on: August 30, 2014, 12:01:04 pm »

There are books in schools? I thought those places were useless zombie death traps like office buildings and apartment blocks.

Yes, there is a library in each one as far as I know.
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1086