Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860404 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13230 on: August 28, 2014, 05:47:39 am »

Well, I'm an utterly fucked-up looking catbeast (a scaly cat with gills and slit nostrils), so I have that sweet +8 to dodge.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13231 on: August 28, 2014, 07:22:30 am »

Well, I'm an utterly fucked-up looking catbeast (a scaly cat with gills and slit nostrils), so I have that sweet +8 to dodge.
Yeah, the nice thing about having absurd dodge is you can afford to wear tons of armor and still be unlikely to get hit.
Dodge is dangerous to train, though, so I guess it's... sorta balanced?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: August 28, 2014, 08:53:00 am »

Encumbrance is calculated by (sum of every clothing encumbrance value) + ((number of items worn/2) - 1) I believe.

So if you have a tank top (fits), trenchcoat (fits), backpack, and MBR vest (kevlar) (fits), your encumbrance would be (0+ 0 + 1 + 1) + ((4/2) - 1) = 3 total encumbrance. I don't have that gear handy right now so... someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Generally lower is better until  you're an unstoppable murder machine that can soak the skill penalties for fighting in heavier stuff. Practice, practice, practice!

I think that is the old encumbrance system. Old in the meaning that it's still the case in 0.A, but not in the newer experimentals, mind you.

The new system is somewhat based on layers, I believe, so that you cannot wear two fanny packs, a tool belt and a runner pack for a grand total of 1 torso encumberance. So far I've noticed that in that example you would get one encumbrance for each item beyond the first in the 'belted layer', which all of those are in, for a grand total of 3 torso encumbrance. You can, however, wear a trenchcoat and a t-shirt without encumbrance since those are in other layers while they would have added one in the old system. I'm not quite sure how many layers there are, but I think there's three: skin-tight, normal and belted.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #13233 on: August 28, 2014, 09:11:25 am »

I wonder if it's possible to have so much dodge that nothing can hit you.

I'd have to look at the code to be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the function was asymptotic.

--

So I checked the code.

At least I can now say that you can always be hit, no matter how high your dodge skill and dexterity gets.

For some reason, it's easier to fall over with one rollerskate/blade than with two.  Makes no sense IMO.

Whatever you do, don't wear a rollerskate and a rollerblade at the same time.  Even with 20 dodge and 20 dex you'll be knocked down pretty much always.

If you have already dodged this turn, you get a penalty to your chance to try to dodge, as well as a huge one to your chance to dodge if you try to dodge.  Wow that's insanely and unnecessarily overcomplicated. ::)
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13234 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:27 am »

I wonder if it's possible to have so much dodge that nothing can hit you.

I'd have to look at the code to be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the function was asymptotic.

--

So I checked the code.

At least I can now say that you can always be hit, no matter how high your dodge skill and dexterity gets.

For some reason, it's easier to fall over with one rollerskate/blade than with two.  Makes no sense IMO.

Whatever you do, don't wear a rollerskate and a rollerblade at the same time.  Even with 20 dodge and 20 dex you'll be knocked down pretty much always.

If you have already dodged this turn, you get a penalty to your chance to try to dodge, as well as a huge one to your chance to dodge if you try to dodge.  Wow that's insanely and unnecessarily overcomplicated. ::)

What do you mean a single rollerskate/blade? AFAIK the item represents a pair, not a single one.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13235 on: August 28, 2014, 10:52:04 am »

I would think it would make sense that it would be harder to skate on one foot than on both feet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13236 on: August 28, 2014, 12:45:26 pm »

whoops nevermind
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #13237 on: August 28, 2014, 01:44:44 pm »

So, are dogs still impossible to hit?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13238 on: August 28, 2014, 01:47:25 pm »

So, are dogs still impossible to hit?

No, it's not that bad. It's still a bitch (no pun intended) early on, but mostly when you get mobbed by wolves or harrassed by zombie dogs while being chased by a horde of zombies.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13239 on: August 28, 2014, 05:35:14 pm »

Anyone messed around with the wander spawns (horde) option? Is it any good, or just a nightmare?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13240 on: August 28, 2014, 05:40:39 pm »

This looks shiny. I will have to sample it at a later date.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13241 on: August 28, 2014, 06:07:53 pm »

Anyone messed around with the wander spawns (horde) option? Is it any good, or just a nightmare?

I wasn't impressed. It's basically a moving population (sprinting, more like) that doesn't actually exist in the world unless you make noise. Theoretically they can spawn over time as well, but the ones in my game sprinted too fast to spawn anything, so it just ended up making me waste an hour here and there for them to pass before I blew stuff up.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13242 on: August 28, 2014, 06:29:01 pm »

After numerous games where I typically die before nightfall of the first day, I have a character who lucked out in that the first house he looted belonged to some kind of survivalist nut and there was enough guns and ammo in the basement to start a Bullets and Burgers franchise. Also a set of baseball bats (aluminum and wood), which means he totes a nasty nailbat to finish off what his "Neo going through security"-level of walking arsenal doesn't completely kill.

I'm afraid to keep playing because I don't want to lose this character. :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13243 on: August 28, 2014, 07:29:45 pm »

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about him dying. If he does, you can always loot his corpse and be back to the same, generally, level.

Skills are easy to level back up, if you're only a couple weeks in.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13244 on: August 28, 2014, 07:32:33 pm »

After numerous games where I typically die before nightfall of the first day, I have a character who lucked out in that the first house he looted belonged to some kind of survivalist nut and there was enough guns and ammo in the basement to start a Bullets and Burgers franchise. Also a set of baseball bats (aluminum and wood), which means he totes a nasty nailbat to finish off what his "Neo going through security"-level of walking arsenal doesn't completely kill.

I'm afraid to keep playing because I don't want to lose this character. :(

Go to the game folder, save subfolder, copy and paste the file with the world name so that you have a worldname - Copy folder. If you die, copy the files back to original folder. Back up periodically.
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1086