Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860874 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12360 on: July 04, 2014, 12:23:49 am »

I'd forgotten how hard the game is when you don't really game character creation. Man.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #12361 on: July 04, 2014, 12:29:53 am »

Yeah, it's pretty brutal. "Things are going so well! I've got everything I need! I'm so happy!" *hulk comes around corner* "FML."

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12362 on: July 04, 2014, 01:12:12 am »

I think the game is pissed at my previous trolling of it, so now every time I try to take a somewhat regular somewhat gimped character out its contractually obligated to spawn hordes and/or eldritch horrors on them and everywhere around them.

Seriously game, Lost Submissive Albino Frail is hard enough as it is, please stop being unnecessarily cruel.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: July 04, 2014, 02:03:34 am »

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. The once-empty dead scientist/soldier spawns now have Mi-gos most or all of the time, which casually ricochet bullets off their skin and move faster than the average survivor can run without drugs. I find the best way to kill them is with LAWs (which explode even if the rocket ricochets off the hide) or flareguns.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: July 04, 2014, 02:50:28 am »

I want to play this again, but fear ending up getting bored by collecting so much food that I feel I can hold up in a secured area for weeks and "survive", with no real goal except for self made ones which really aren't going to have a reward other then loot or "yeah! I did it!".

So has the game changed where these 2 things are not a factor? Also, what are some of the best moments that make you glad to have played the latest version?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: July 04, 2014, 03:01:28 am »

Well, Reaper is hard at work adding roaming hordes, so that might be different. Other than that, I dunno. I don't think the game has any plans to introduce some sort of rise in ambient global corruption a-la ADOM so that you can't be completely safe even if you "hole up".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: July 04, 2014, 11:29:40 am »

My latest survivor is me.

What have I done?

I have cleared a town.
I have turned a cube van into a death bus called the Batmobile.
I have become the greatest spearmaster to have ever lived.
I have fortified a hotel.
Last, but not least, I have made a WOODEN BARREL.
Every day, I set to work filling the barrel with clean water.
I live in the basement of the hotel, so there's an infinite supply of water.
When I'm not filling the barrel, I am cooking hardtack.
Someday, I will find another building with a basement.
I will take a scooter.
I will put a cargo carrier or two on the scooter.
And I will put the barrel and the hardtack in the cargo carriers and drive to the other building.
I will put the barrel and hardtack in the corner of the basement.
I will fortify the building with the basement to make it impenetrable to attack.
And I will become...
LEGEND. In a bunker. With a barrel.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12367 on: July 04, 2014, 11:58:35 am »

No, you are doing it wrong.

When you find the second basement, you dig a tunnel connecting the two, one large enough to drive the scooter thru.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12368 on: July 04, 2014, 12:57:34 pm »

So I was playing experimental 1700, sneaking around a mansion at night with some throwing axes I'd begged off an NPC when I stumbled across a skeleton. Thinking to myself, one skeleton by itself shouldn't be a problem even for an inexperienced character, I swung at it twice... and promptly died. From full health.

From what I can tell, the first swing missed and unbalanced me, giving the skeleton several free hits and inflicting a bleeding wound, and the second one hit but got stuck and apparently passed enough time that I bled out trying to unstick it, instantly killing me, or the skeleton got enough free hits to just outright kill me.

Pretty sure something needs adjusting. I don't think even a new unskilled character should instantly evaporate from fighting a skeleton at full health. I'm also somewhat surprised weapons can even get stuck in skeletons, given that they're made entirely out of tattered clothes and dry bones. They wouldn't really have the mass to stop a weapon swing, let alone hold the weapon.

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12369 on: July 04, 2014, 01:19:27 pm »

I'm currently working on building a vehicle out of old military vehicles that will be able to plow roads through a forest.

In my "I'm not gaming, just playing me" game, I'm down to a tin of clam chowder on the verge of winter with no clothes that will really protect me from the cold.... lol

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: July 04, 2014, 02:15:41 pm »

So I was playing experimental 1700, sneaking around a mansion at night with some throwing axes I'd begged off an NPC when I stumbled across a skeleton. Thinking to myself, one skeleton by itself shouldn't be a problem even for an inexperienced character, I swung at it twice... and promptly died. From full health.

From what I can tell, the first swing missed and unbalanced me, giving the skeleton several free hits and inflicting a bleeding wound, and the second one hit but got stuck and apparently passed enough time that I bled out trying to unstick it, instantly killing me, or the skeleton got enough free hits to just outright kill me.
By swung at it twice, I'm guessing you mean you just tapped or held down the direction button to attack multiple times.  Until you're really sure you're a badass, you should probably be making one attack at a time, if you attack, and the monster attacks you 2+ times in response, you should probably double-think attacking again.
Pretty sure something needs adjusting. I don't think even a new unskilled character should instantly evaporate from fighting a skeleton at full health. I'm also somewhat surprised weapons can even get stuck in skeletons, given that they're made entirely out of tattered clothes and dry bones. They wouldn't really have the mass to stop a weapon swing, let alone hold the weapon.
Weapons not sticking in skeletons, fair enough, that shouldn't happen.
As for missed swings and weapons sticking in general, I disagree.  You got a bad run of rolls, and didn't stop to adjust in between actions.
Something to remember is that melee skill 0 is roughly "never been in a fight before", most roguelikes don't have you start at this extreme low level of skill, which is where wide swings and weapons getting stuck come from.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12371 on: July 04, 2014, 02:46:35 pm »

Actually, I was at melee skill 2 and unencumbered. I had successfully fended off small groups of zombies and tough zombies. I didn't hold the button down, I swung once, noticed that I got an unlucky swing and took like three hits and started bleeding, decided the best course was to finish it off than bandage rather than try to outrun something as fast as me in the dark while bleeding, swung again, insta died from low green or very high yellow health.

Suppose I should learn my lesson and just not use bladed weapons. They're clearly deathtraps.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:53:16 pm by Kaitol »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: July 04, 2014, 03:01:56 pm »

"Things are going so well! I've got everything I need! I'm so happy!" *hulk comes around corner* "FML."
This is why I really want a sprint/stamina system.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12373 on: July 04, 2014, 03:28:49 pm »

Suppose I should learn my lesson and just not use bladed weapons. They're clearly deathtraps.
At low level, avoid piercing weapons, yes.  Blunts are entirely more reliable, and can work against armored enemies like secubots too (though those also explode).  At higher levels, bladed weapons become extremely powerful.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12374 on: July 04, 2014, 04:46:27 pm »

I actually think I had something similar happen against a shocker in 1718.  It seemed like the moment I got into melee range I saw a few seconds of hit animation and died.   Looking at the log it seemed like every attack it made against me, hit or miss shocked me (I guess stunning me?) and it managed to kill me from full health.

I figured it was a fluke, but it sounds really similar to what happened to Kaitol.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 1086