Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860864 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12330 on: July 02, 2014, 12:06:54 am »

Well, or just wait a week or so and grab the next experimental. Could have been fixed.
Well, it's been a problem for me since April-ish, so, uh.  Yeah.

I posted about it on the official forums, too, but it seems to be unreproducible, and I'm sorta assuming it's a weird quirk with my laptop being terrible hardware or something.

Wasn't there an upgrade to something in between the release of 0.A and the current experimentals?  I thought I remembered reading a mention of an upgrade to something.  Possibly to allow background music?

Also, since we're apparently talking about it now (and I think I catalyzed it, aaAaAAAa), I think the way dev gets done for CataclysmDDA is pretty a'ight.  Extra sorta window-dressing content - just random items and crap - certainly makes the game more flavorful, and that's one of the major things I love about Cataclysm, and why I dig it above other roguelikes - especially since each item has it's own viewable description and stats, as opposed to, say, DF, where you can make lil' trinkets and stuff, but which aren't very interestingly described (templated, cookie-cutter text), and while stuff like quality and all that are implemented, they're not really described to the player, which makes making informed decisions less reliant looking at the in-game item, and more knowing what the item's properties are in the code, and stuff.  Things seem to generally get nerfed or fixed or whatever if they end up being too strong, and seem generally not end-all-be-alls (though I don't have very good authority on this, as I haven't really saddled down for a longplay in a long while - I end up getting distracted by trying-and-failing to bunker up my starting house, which inevitably fails).

Certainly, it could be worse - a certain other game I follow's development seems to develop cliques among the devteam, apathy amongst the leaders, and distance between the devs and players, which ends up causing tons of drama, little content being changed or added, and people gettin' assmad about dumb stuff in general.  So yeah, it's pretty nice.

Kinda curious about what happened to the Kickstarter and the stuff that was supposed to come of that, though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:24:58 am by Farce »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12331 on: July 02, 2014, 12:00:42 pm »

I only download/play the stable releases. Main reason is that nothing grates on me quite as hard as half-implemented or badly unpolished features. When I tried experimentals before (granted, over a year ago now) I ran into a bunch of general wonkiness and descriptions with badly broken english. I like to think the stable releases are at least cleaned up enough to be presentable throughout.

In terms of development... I have a few friends who I've talked up the game to quite a bit, and their response has been "That sounds really cool, I'll play it when it's done." Hah. :-\

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: July 02, 2014, 12:34:20 pm »

Just a quick mention azmodean, I didn't mean for much if any of that to be truely negative, I am happy with current development.  I like how anyone can contribute, and with the blacklist mod people can take out what they don't like or feel is of low quality.

The most negative thing I had was the thing about people seemingly not working on bugs.  It seems like the buglist is getting bigger before it's getting smaller, but this is my first time closely watching the git close to a release milestone. You assurance makes me feel better about it.

As for bountysource I learned about that recently.  I donated to the project earlier, and I think it went into the z-level bounty which I'm happy with. (I do want z-levels :D)  But for future reference when my income becomes stable again and I'm not paying to get a bunch of things fixed, do you know how much bountysource takes out of every bounty?  I doubt I'll be able to do more than buy somebody a burger for a bounty, but I want to put in enough that it's not all eaten up by fees.

EDIT: Found out myself, looks like it's 10% everytime somebody withdraws from their bounty bank, but no fees per donation or collection.

I only download/play the stable releases. Main reason is that nothing grates on me quite as hard as half-implemented or badly unpolished features. When I tried experimentals before (granted, over a year ago now) I ran into a bunch of general wonkiness and descriptions with badly broken english. I like to think the stable releases are at least cleaned up enough to be presentable throughout.

In terms of development... I have a few friends who I've talked up the game to quite a bit, and their response has been "That sounds really cool, I'll play it when it's done." Hah. :-\

Perhaps we could come up with some kind of recommended experimentals.  I do enjoy playing the experimentals and more often than not I have no major problems with them.  But there is the occasional one with weird stuff happening like asprin or disinfectant not being consumed when applied instead of consumed that would probably turn somebody off from experimentals on their first few tries. 

But that would likely be something players would have to put together themselves.  It would also have the problem that by the time we know a particular experimental is good for long play it's probably not the most recent build that qualifies, and it would require somebody to be playing cataclysm almost every day, when in reality they may be more entertained by other games for a week or two before returning.

For example I know build 1617 is quite playable and enjoyable because I managed into late summer, without anything going wonky, but there's probably quite a few versions since then that qualify just as well that I haven't played.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:40:12 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12333 on: July 02, 2014, 06:55:07 pm »

Any way of producing vinegar oneself? Wiki and current crafting list have failed me.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12334 on: July 02, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »

I don't think so.

Look for closets that have cleaning supplies.  You'll probably find some in there.  Generally in labs, offices, schools, and maybe a few other places.  Possibly bathrooms but I'm not sure.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:08 pm »

Kitchens in houses seem to be a semi-reliable source.

Also, I was testing out my new Artisan profession (which comes with BUTTLOADS of tools and skills at the cost of 4 points) when I was promptly absolutely murdered by a tough zombie.

I hate those guys, they have way too much HP :(
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12336 on: July 02, 2014, 09:26:48 pm »

Any way of producing vinegar oneself? Wiki and current crafting list have failed me.

Vinegar *should* be really easy to produce.

Step 1: Open a bottle of wine (or spirits, or beer, or .. anything containing alcohol)

Step 2: wait 3 - 4 weeks

Step 3: use vinegar

It's not going to be fancy (and depending on what you used, it might taste nasty), but it will be vinegar.

Shouldn't be very hard to add to the game either, making alcohol is already instant (I think?) so just make it instant too.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12337 on: July 02, 2014, 09:33:14 pm »

Booze aint instant.
You get something you gotta ferment.

Try adding a juice to a fermenting vat?

-EDIT-
Nope. No vinegar recipe, checking things in vat.

-Second edit-

No juices are getting accepted, so that is assumed to be a nope.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:41:03 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12338 on: July 02, 2014, 09:49:35 pm »

Would it be possible to change the Rot code to allow rotting into items? And perhaps change the condition afterward. As a way of allowing long term crafting over a period of time.

For example, to make Malt Whiskey, you get the recipe together, along with the wooden keg, and it would produce Whiskey Mash. Then, after being allowed to "rot" for several game days/months/years, the product you made, Whiskey Mash, would rot away and form Malt Whiskey. For this example, rather then having Whiskey Mash, Rotten, it would be Whiskey Mash, Fermenting.

Would also allow animal corpses to rot into bones, and a few other odd things.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12339 on: July 02, 2014, 09:53:06 pm »

Suggested the juices rotting into vinegar.

That exists, you use fermenting vats. I dunno about barrels, will check

No, Kegs are simply liquid storage.
Highly Opinionated Fool

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12340 on: July 02, 2014, 09:57:09 pm »

I don't recall a recipe for fermenting stuff into vinegar in the fermentation vats.  I'd fast-track merge review if we don't have one already.

DeKaFu's friends have obviously been demoralized by DLC and expansion packs.  With DDA (unlike, say, the Sims) you pay one low price and get all subsequent content ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!1! (just pay separate processing and handling).

Your first DDA: $0
Later versions:$0
P & H: whatever your net-usage costs, should be negligible given that you're here
Total cost?      :$0

Whereas with the Sims, you're looking at a couple hundred plus DRM bullshit.  (Or violating copyright laws.)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12341 on: July 02, 2014, 10:13:34 pm »

Sims3 DRM is still better than any form of Steam DRM, for example Civ V or Skyrim...
Highly Opinionated Fool

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12342 on: July 02, 2014, 11:01:32 pm »

Well, or just wait a week or so and grab the next experimental. Could have been fixed.
Well, it's been a problem for me since April-ish, so, uh.  Yeah.

I posted about it on the official forums, too, but it seems to be unreproducible, and I'm sorta assuming it's a weird quirk with my laptop being terrible hardware or something.

Wasn't there an upgrade to something in between the release of 0.A and the current experimentals?  I thought I remembered reading a mention of an upgrade to something.  Possibly to allow background music?
The most likely problem is that we switched from SDL 1.2 to SDL 2.0 right after the 0.A release.  That won't change anything about curses builds though.  Both have Lua built in now, so there's that.
I haven't commented on your problem, it's definitely not that I don't want to fix it, but that I literally have no indication of where to start to look for it.  If you were on linux I could give you step-by-step instructions to get some debugging information out of it when it crashes, but that's not easy to do on windows.
Kinda curious about what happened to the Kickstarter and the stuff that was supposed to come of that, though.
We paid a developer (GalenEvil) to work on it for a while, then he suddenly disappeared (after delivering some of the work).  We put the remaining money in BountySource, which has caught several people's interest, but hasn't come to anything yet.

Just a quick mention azmodean, I didn't mean for much if any of that to be truely negative, I am happy with current development.  I like how anyone can contribute, and with the blacklist mod people can take out what they don't like or feel is of low quality.
I didn't take them as negative, we're cool.
The most negative thing I had was the thing about people seemingly not working on bugs.  It seems like the buglist is getting bigger before it's getting smaller, but this is my first time closely watching the git close to a release milestone. You assurance makes me feel better about it.
The bug list does cyclically grow and shrink yes, I'm not saying it doesn't, but we do reign it in periodically.
Perhaps we could come up with some kind of recommended experimentals.  I do enjoy playing the experimentals and more often than not I have no major problems with them.  But there is the occasional one with weird stuff happening like asprin or disinfectant not being consumed when applied instead of consumed that would probably turn somebody off from experimentals on their first few tries. 
eeh, more like I need to do a release every month or two like it's planned.  Since last release I changed jobs and moved to the other side of the country, then did a software deploy at work that took a month to complete, leaving me quite drained :P

Would it be possible to change the Rot code to allow rotting into items? And perhaps change the condition afterward. As a way of allowing long term crafting over a period of time.
That's exactly how I want it to work, each item that rots would have one or more decay products and a half life, and just turn into a new item of the appropriate type when it happens.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #12343 on: July 02, 2014, 11:02:37 pm »

Did anyone ever figure out what happened to him, anyway?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12344 on: July 03, 2014, 12:05:44 am »

Why can I clean water when the only cooking utensil in my inventory or surroundings is skewers?

I mean, its the middle of road out in the middle of nowhere, I can't be using tools lying around and the only liquid containers in my inventory are plastic bottles... so what the fook is giving me boiling ability?
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 1086