Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860009 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9990 on: February 09, 2014, 02:19:51 pm »

Unless solar cells and storage cells have been nerfed since the last time I bitched about it, they are hilariously imba.
one of the recent experimentals nerfed solar panels, the storage batteries can still hold as much i think.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9991 on: February 09, 2014, 03:42:08 pm »

I recall reading somewhere that solar panel output has been cut by 90%.  So where you would have gotten 10 solar power before, now you get 1.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9992 on: February 09, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »

I used to run cars with 4 solar panels and 4 batteries. It was pretty much infinite energy, but even at reduced gains I could see it working out fine for most tasks. My ideal would be hybrid cars that you can manually switch engines on, or the ability to rig up a solar generator to leave outside for a while, then wheel it in and plug other stuff into it (without having to mount extra modules on the same frame.

No idea if any of that is planned, but I can dream.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9993 on: February 09, 2014, 06:46:26 pm »

I managed to create my first cataclysm mod.  It's just an added profession, and if there's any way to load it as a mod when generating the world I didn't know how but I'm tickled pink.   This is how I started modding DF, I'm sure soon my copy will no longer resemble vanilla.

Now if only I could figure out how to make me not start out wearing the sleeping bag it would be perfect.

Next mod thoughts concern the regional map settings json.  Maybe making a more floridalike area, with more forests and swampland, less open field.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:24:21 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9994 on: February 09, 2014, 07:17:37 pm »

You could add an item "Rolled Up sleeping bag". Turn it into a tool, alter its volume a bit and make a recipe so it disassembles into a regular sleeping bag and some string.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9995 on: February 09, 2014, 10:19:57 pm »

So, cansomebody spoiler me what I can do w/swirling portals besides get attacked?  I wanna say if I do things it likes I get prizes/a trip to the Deimos Moonbase moon.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9996 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:55 am »

Has the grace period at the start of the game been removed? I've been greeted by zombie masters and soldiers outside of the shelter. Can't see the time anywhere either.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9997 on: February 10, 2014, 11:11:44 am »

The default mode is static spawn which means that all the zombies are prespawned in a town. It can be a bit harder but once you kill a zombie it's gone. No more making noise and having a horde spawn on your face. You can switch it back to the old mode but it sounds like you got a little unlucky so try a new world. Oh and make sure you don't have the black road option on.
   As for the time it now shows where the sun is. To see the actual time you need a watch or something similar. I like how when they added it they also added wait options for stuff like dawn. Then they made it so you could always access those options and they added the option to wait for the weather to change.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:13:43 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9998 on: February 10, 2014, 11:31:18 am »

Oh and make sure you don't have the black road option on.

What' wrong with having the black road option on? Does it cause bugs?

Tjoh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9999 on: February 10, 2014, 11:45:04 am »

Any tips for not dying instantly with static spawn on?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10000 on: February 10, 2014, 11:48:57 am »

Oh and make sure you don't have the black road option on.

What' wrong with having the black road option on? Does it cause bugs?
If by "bugs" you mean the zombies that'll spawn in every shelter, then yes.

Head for the unpopulated areas. Find dangerous features - minefields, magma fissures, plain traps, etc. Use the features to lure and destroy zombie hordes, and/or collect what remains afterwards.

Starting with static spawn is in large part dependent on luck. In lesser part, on the deaths before then.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10001 on: February 10, 2014, 11:53:16 am »

Make a nail board, and use bushes. That's never going to get old.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10002 on: February 10, 2014, 11:54:01 am »

I like fires.  Setting bushes on fire, and letting the zoms come to you.  It makes noise, but its Static spawn, so who cares.  I also carry splintered wood if I can for fires anywhere.  be sure to pulp them or butcher them after the fire dies.

In addition, starting when its night by changing the worldgen time via options is good for stealth.  The map revealed at spawn is generous enough for you to make your way to the nearest house most of the time.

Also, remebr that no new zoms spawn.  So setting up an area to kite them into is not a terrible idea.  Please note that I think Zombears are considered wildlife, not zombies proper.  And thus respawn.  But I stopped playing static so don't quote that one.

Traps like above said are great.

---
Black road seems to cause an instant invasion of the starting shelter on static spawn.  Im usually able to zoom downstairs, grab crap in the dark, and flee, but it is quite dangereous.  Turn off black road if you do not want that initial wave attacking you.  You can also choose to spawn that npc in the shelter with you.  Going downstairs causes him to go up with you.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:56:49 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10003 on: February 10, 2014, 12:23:52 pm »

Spend some time in the wilderness.  Make a pointy stick.  Sometimes you can find some dead bodies that carry equipment and ID cards.  If you can open up a research lab early on it makes a great place to camp.  They have few enemies and tons of supplies.  Also, beds.  You can reliably find bottles of fresh water, funnels, batteries and battery powered equipment, and a machete, which is a powerful melee weapon.  Don't try to operate the computers there if you don't have a high computer skill.

Look for parking lots outside of mines.  They often have a shopping cart, which is great for hauling stuff around.

Eventually you'll want to sneak into a house on the outskirts of town.  You'll want a pot or a frying pan, whatever medications you can find, non perishable food, and tools like scissors and screwdrivers and hammers.

As for food, you can survive on just chunks of meat if you need to.  You get a morale penalty for eating them but it's not that big of a deal most of the time.  Eventually you'll want to build a fireplace and cook food and purify water.  Cooked meat and clean water can meet all of your needs.  Don't worry too much about the advanced food and drink recipes, since a lot of what you can make is perishable anyway.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10004 on: February 10, 2014, 12:24:50 pm »

edit-double post
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:27:07 pm by Bouchart »
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 1086