Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860443 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8760 on: November 06, 2013, 03:09:18 pm »

There is a change we want to make in regards to the speed/turns process, though who knows when or if we'll pull it off. It's been talked about a bit though.

We want a finer level of detail in regards to how often turns occur, with the expectation that most actions will actually cost you multiple turns. Right now you can actually take multiple actions in a SINGLE turn, which isn't so bad, but so can the enemies - faster enemies can move, attack you, and then hop away, without you having any chance at all to melee them.

'.' (wait) will still skip a single turn, and if we increased the granularity that would mean you could (for example) wait for a creature to move into striking distance before attacking, without worrying he's going to move, attack you, and then hop away, all before you can respond, no matter how prepared you are.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: November 06, 2013, 03:13:59 pm »

There is a change we want to make in regards to the speed/turns process, though who knows when or if we'll pull it off. It's been talked about a bit though.

We want a finer level of detail in regards to how often turns occur, with the expectation that most actions will actually cost you multiple turns. Right now you can actually take multiple actions in a SINGLE turn, which isn't so bad, but so can the enemies - faster enemies can move, attack you, and then hop away, without you having any chance at all to melee them.

'.' (wait) will still skip a single turn, and if we increased the granularity that would mean you could (for example) wait for a creature to move into striking distance before attacking, without worrying he's going to move, attack you, and then hop away, all before you can respond, no matter how prepared you are.
I imagine that to do it best there would be multiple settings, so that during hikes and such the turns can run faster by being abstracted more.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: November 06, 2013, 03:41:59 pm »

I imagine that to do it best there would be multiple settings, so that during hikes and such the turns can run faster by being abstracted more.
The player would still take exactly the same amount of actions to get anywhere via moving, it would just let them act in smaller increments for stuff that happens quicker.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: November 06, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »

The player would still take exactly the same amount of actions to get anywhere via moving, it would just let them act in smaller increments for stuff that happens quicker.
I meant in terms of it being easy for the player. Since it would take longer to process the turns to walk to a place, I imagine that it could get wearing easily.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: November 06, 2013, 03:50:54 pm »

It would not take any longer to process the turns to walk to a place either. The only thing that would change is that the player acts once (and only once) roughly every fourth turn instead of potentially acting multiple times every single turn.

It would take exactly the same amount of time.

>_> Forget I brought it up, actually. I don't even remember why I did. It only makes a noticeable difference when dealing with high speed value for the player (in which case everything else gets frozen in time while the player acts) and for very fast enemies.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: November 06, 2013, 04:07:36 pm »

I have a question: Exactly how does one get an NPC to perform bionics installation on you? I managed to get my hands on some my last game, but I didn't want to accidentally cripple myself and the help thing says you can do that instead.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: November 06, 2013, 04:10:38 pm »

Look in all the chat options and dont sell it to them?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: November 06, 2013, 04:20:39 pm »

I didn't see it, that's why I'm asking where it is. :I

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: November 06, 2013, 04:33:39 pm »

Did you try talking to a friendly one, and not just a neutral?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: November 06, 2013, 04:36:53 pm »

No....

Thanks, I'm going to go feel stupid now while I get my buddy to operate on me.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: November 06, 2013, 05:15:13 pm »

You can get the NPCs to operate on you?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: November 06, 2013, 06:00:47 pm »

I'd like to know as well, might make a reason to turn npcs on.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8772 on: November 06, 2013, 08:06:49 pm »

(turns & points)
Aah, ok. That's still prohibitive- 50 moves/attacks is a lot shorter than it sounds, and 10 is worse.
Granted though, it's more prohibitive for those with light-moderate bionics. Joint torsion ratchets & solar panels are invasive & highly visible, respectively. And with a pool of about 50 power, one runs out fast. With that high of a rate, I imagine a lot of time spent in unpowered armor.
How many turns are there in a day?

Also, how's the consumption on the adv ups? power/turns
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: November 06, 2013, 08:19:00 pm »

Don't worry about it too much.  If implemented it will hardly be noticeable except for monsters and yourself getting fewer actions in a row.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: November 06, 2013, 08:23:30 pm »

I'd like to know as well, might make a reason to turn npcs on.
Just for installing bionics.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1086