Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862313 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8265 on: October 21, 2013, 06:27:01 am »

Well btw the one guy was KINDA right about my viewport problem.
The problem wasn't that it was too wide for my screen, it was too HIGH.
WAY too high. I'm capped at like 30 and I had it at 90 O.o

Glad you found a fix; the game's well worth playing and enjoying!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: October 21, 2013, 09:36:07 am »

One thing I am noticing is that either my character is not using special strikes or there's no text for them. I think it's possible that I'm just killing things in one hit with crits (they do average around 70-90 damage), but I would expect to have seen at least one over the course of this entire character.

Do you have enough skill to be able to use them?
UC of 9. I believe the highest requirement on Taikwondo is 7. It could just be a text issue, I've seen a lot of enemies get stunned when I crit. I just assumed that was tied to crits, I've seen them do that when I hit with a sword.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: October 21, 2013, 09:41:21 am »

Stunning happens when the enemy suffers heavy bashing damage (other types too I assume, but particularly bashing) so it might be that when you crit with fists it deals bash, and when you crit with a sword there's enough armor converting slashing into bashing that it stuns.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: October 21, 2013, 11:00:30 am »

And stunning comes from flash bangs and the bionic equivalent.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: October 21, 2013, 12:13:52 pm »

One thing I am noticing is that either my character is not using special strikes or there's no text for them. I think it's possible that I'm just killing things in one hit with crits (they do average around 70-90 damage), but I would expect to have seen at least one over the course of this entire character.

Do you have enough skill to be able to use them?
UC of 9. I believe the highest requirement on Taikwondo is 7. It could just be a text issue, I've seen a lot of enemies get stunned when I crit. I just assumed that was tied to crits, I've seen them do that when I hit with a sword.
Stunning happens when the enemy suffers heavy bashing damage (other types too I assume, but particularly bashing) so it might be that when you crit with fists it deals bash, and when you crit with a sword there's enough armor converting slashing into bashing that it stuns.
Hrrm, really?

I have a char with unarmed combat 3 and she's doing pretty well in stunning (blue background on creature?) enemies with Ninjutsu. It's pretty nice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: October 21, 2013, 12:55:26 pm »

Fists are bashing attacks, and some martial arts provide stun effects regardless of attack type.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: October 21, 2013, 04:45:30 pm »

I have just finished my first real game of this by dying of dehydration (I threw up ALOT)
This happened during the second morning :(
Yeah, night was NOT good to that character.

Basically I got a cold almost immediately in game, then managed to get a door in the shelter boarded up and a bunch of useless crafting crap accumulated inside, and spent the night unable to sleep in the shelter due to not finding head/hand wear.

Also I realize now that I coulda ran out into the wild to pick strawberries or something when I got really hungry (due to that DAMN VOMITING)
I'm pretty sure the vomiting was mostly from an infected wound :(

EDIT: Just started a new game and the NPC who started in the shelter with me is JOHN STEWART
EDIT2: Aaaand he got mauled by a moose. And since I'm a cannibal.... :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:00:06 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: October 21, 2013, 05:33:03 pm »

Bionic Patient is the best profession ever. Sure, its expensive, but hydraulic muscles lets you start out going toe to toe with a brute.

Also, feature request. A way to determine when you can read. Its dawn, I can see forever, but the game keeps telling me I can't read, even when I'm next to a window. A light level indicator or something might be nice.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: October 21, 2013, 06:12:54 pm »

Ok, now this character died from the exact same bullshit, I.E. Infected wound leading to vomiting leading to dehydrating.

Seriously, I was doing damn good too! I had a makeshift bed, TWO working guns with bullets, screwdriver,hammer all that good shit. Seriously this was actually a pretty decent playthrough, if only my DAMN WOUNDS WOULD STOP GETTING INFECTED.

Indeed, I do this.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: October 21, 2013, 06:17:31 pm »

Ok, now this character died from the exact same bullshit, I.E. Infected wound leading to vomiting leading to dehydrating.

Seriously, I was doing damn good too! I had a makeshift bed, TWO working guns with bullets, screwdriver,hammer all that good shit. Seriously this was actually a pretty decent playthrough, if only my DAMN WOUNDS WOULD STOP GETTING INFECTED.
Have you tried a mixture of not getting wounded and not letting them get infected?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8275 on: October 21, 2013, 06:49:55 pm »

Have you tried a mixture of not getting wounded and not letting them get infected?

"Apply topically to the keyboard."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:35 pm »

Well I used disinfectant every time I got it.
Unfortunately I never really found antibiotics.

Kinda sucks that it doesn't tell you WHICH PART has the infected wound. Does it? If so I didn't see it.

Also how to cauterize? Do I just stand around in a campfire for a minute? :P

Indeed, I do this.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: October 21, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »

Either "t"ool a powered soldering iron or a combat knife with a lighter or some other source of fire.

This isn't something you want to do when expecting combat any time soon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: October 21, 2013, 09:48:53 pm »

I have just finished my first real game of this by dying of dehydration (I threw up ALOT)
This happened during the second morning :(
Yeah, night was NOT good to that character.

Basically I got a cold almost immediately in game, then managed to get a door in the shelter boarded up and a bunch of useless crafting crap accumulated inside, and spent the night unable to sleep in the shelter due to not finding head/hand wear.

Also I realize now that I coulda ran out into the wild to pick strawberries or something when I got really hungry (due to that DAMN VOMITING)
I'm pretty sure the vomiting was mostly from an infected wound :(

EDIT: Just started a new game and the NPC who started in the shelter with me is JOHN STEWART
EDIT2: Aaaand he got mauled by a moose. And since I'm a cannibal.... :P

...I'm seriously sure that you don't vomit from infected wounds and that you infer too much without giving the small details rather than the major omg details. >_>

I do believe you drank toilet water thinking its a potable source of hydration.
"Press @"
Check the status. Do you have food poisoning? Toilet water is not a good source of hydration.

There is a reason that there is 'water' and there is 'clean water'.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: October 21, 2013, 10:00:10 pm »

...I'm seriously sure that you don't vomit from infected wounds and that you infer too much without giving the small details rather than the major omg details. >_>
Infected wounds do lead to vomiting, but not until like 10+ hours into the infected wound time (plus the bite time). That said I'm currently working on a small rewrite to vomiting, so that the amount of thirst/hunger that it causes decreases as you get more hungry/dehydrated (to represent dry heaving and throwing up less actual content.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 1086