Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862290 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8250 on: October 20, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »

Ok, I'm using the current stable version and I'm confused about how to use the whole "visionport" thing. It seems to give me straight up fullscreen on max but it also completely removes my sidebar, so on the one hand, I know whats going on around me, but have no goddamn idea what the fuck is going on on my person.
Its very frustrating, because the teeny view is the main complaint I have with this.

Also I have NPCs turned completely on and I was wondering if anyone ever encountered that thing where the "starting NPC" who is in the evac shelter with you has just RIDONKULOUS equipment on them. I started a new world and a military zombie randomly spawned right outside, so NPC goes out and cyclewields everything in her inventory and she has a CBM-FUSION ARM BLASTER and a POWER ARMOR HELMET. I understand that NPCs are still wonky but DAYYYYM.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8251 on: October 20, 2013, 02:48:13 pm »

Checking for balance, 'Cooking' water clean does one unit at a time.  Water purification tablets use 1 tablet for 1 unit of clean water.  But the electrical water purifier uses 1 charge of batteries to clean any volume of water, up to a full plastic jerrycan(40 units) at least.  Working as intended?  I like how the electrical tool works, it just seems a bit to good to be true.
Huh, that's weird. I coulda sworn the charge cost was more or less 1:1. As in, a full steel jerrycan would take all the purifier's power...
Or mebbe I'm just dumb. :v

It was a full charge per full jerrycan for me as of... about a month ago. Not sure if anything's changed since then.

I'm playing the 0.8 stable version and it costs 40 battery power to purify a plastic jerrycan full of water (40 volume), so it looks like it's 1:1.

Yeah, it's the 1 charge to purify the whole thing that seems wrong to me.  the 1:full or partially full container charge cost is happening in the windows Curses build I downloaded on 10-17.  I'm since playing on a newer dl, and haven't gotten to the point where I've found or made a water purifier yet, so I don't know if the bug exists in the more recent build, but I figure if experimental bugs don't get noticed/talked about, they're more likely to still be there come stable release.

In that 10-17 experimental though, I tested it on a full plastic jerrycan(40), an 18 units full plastic jerrycan, and a full gallon container(10).  Each test used 1 charge and turned the container's water from water to clean water.

If it could possibly make any difference, my character built the water purifier.

Ok, I'm using the current stable version and I'm confused about how to use the whole "visionport" thing. It seems to give me straight up fullscreen on max but it also completely removes my sidebar, so on the one hand, I know whats going on around me, but have no goddamn idea what the fuck is going on on my person.
Its very frustrating, because the teeny view is the main complaint I have with this.

I use 70 wide and 30 high as my visual settings.  I wish I could go higher than 30 but that's all my monitor size and resolution allows me.  I could go a little wider than 70, maybe up to 80 - but my character doesn't -see- that far away to the sides, so I don't need to either.  My sidebar is clear and unobstructed.

I think max size has set your playing window to be larger than your monitor's resolution can show, and that's where your sidebar is, happily waiting for you right off the edge of your screen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:53:36 pm by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8252 on: October 20, 2013, 06:35:09 pm »

I think max size has set your playing window to be larger than your monitor's resolution can show, and that's where your sidebar is, happily waiting for you right off the edge of your screen.
That's not it, I have a pretty wide screen, and even more then that, I have a SECOND screen, which is awesome and would take over any overflow.
Basically for some reason the space where the sidebar SHOULD be is completely black, moving around shows the right corner of view disappearing where it should be, but like I said, just black. No idea why.

Indeed, I do this.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: October 20, 2013, 09:17:06 pm »

Hydraulic Muscles+Tai-Kwon-Do+arm/leg armor = carnage. 66% of damage redirected to the arms and legs then reduced by 85%, and 60-85 damage punches. Combine with an Internal Furnace and you can power yourself indefinitely by burning the zombies clothing (with the occasional 2x4). Pure pwnage.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8254 on: October 20, 2013, 09:28:04 pm »

Hydraulic Muscles+Tai-Kwon-Do+arm/leg armor = carnage. 66% of damage redirected to the arms and legs then reduced by 85%, and 60-85 damage punches. Combine with an Internal Furnace and you can power yourself indefinitely by burning the zombies clothing (with the occasional 2x4). Pure pwnage.
Fist of the north star? Is that you?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: October 20, 2013, 10:38:10 pm »

One thing I am noticing is that either my character is not using special strikes or there's no text for them. I think it's possible that I'm just killing things in one hit with crits (they do average around 70-90 damage), but I would expect to have seen at least one over the course of this entire character.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: October 21, 2013, 12:43:14 am »

Oh wow. That nice sleep presentation for OSX.

So what where the screen dimensions for about 720p?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8257 on: October 21, 2013, 02:16:28 am »

One thing I am noticing is that either my character is not using special strikes or there's no text for them. I think it's possible that I'm just killing things in one hit with crits (they do average around 70-90 damage), but I would expect to have seen at least one over the course of this entire character.

Do you have enough skill to be able to use them?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8258 on: October 21, 2013, 03:01:38 am »

go slow?!??!?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8259 on: October 21, 2013, 03:12:56 am »

go slow?!??!?

Pretty much, just solve one need at a time.

You have a gun shop, food store, and a sporting good store nearby?

Prioritize based on how far in they are and what you need now and make your way there, stopping if you end up having to fight more than five zombies at a time.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8260 on: October 21, 2013, 04:33:08 am »

Went into a hotel's basement, found a few exercise machines.  Tried to disassemble one of them - message given was "You disassemble the exercise machine." followed by "You have to push away exercise machine first."

The machine was not disassembled, and I moved it to check 'under' it, there were no parts.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8261 on: October 21, 2013, 04:37:22 am »

go slow?!??!?

Pretty much, just solve one need at a time.

You have a gun shop, food store, and a sporting good store nearby?

Prioritize based on how far in they are and what you need now and make your way there, stopping if you end up having to fight more than five zombies at a time.

Gun shop shouldn't be high priority, especially since they have a nasty tendency to be in an area swarming with zombies.

Your priorities should be: find water, food, shelter(/car), blanket/secure the shelter, hardware, fireplace, decent weapons (you should have at least a makeshift crowbar upon exiting evac shelter), clearing out the surrounding area. In that order, more or less, though of course if you come across one that's lower on the priority list you still should pick it up if you can.

Don't fight if you don't need to and keep to the edges of cities.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: October 21, 2013, 05:02:29 am »

thanks a lot guys I'm making progress, I now die "only" when I stupidly get into big fights without strong painkillers.

manage to clear a whole megastore by sheer strentgh of burning bushes on the last run.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: October 21, 2013, 05:47:21 am »

thanks a lot guys I'm making progress, I now die "only" when I stupidly get into big fights without strong painkillers.

manage to clear a whole megastore by sheer strentgh of burning bushes on the last run.

So, you're basically where I was a week ago!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: October 21, 2013, 06:15:05 am »

Well btw the one guy was KINDA right about my viewport problem.
The problem wasn't that it was too wide for my screen, it was too HIGH.
WAY too high. I'm capped at like 30 and I had it at 90 O.o

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 1086