Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862678 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8160 on: October 18, 2013, 03:33:56 pm »

And noticed a strange problem, after producing 1 dehydrated meat, the dehydrator refuse to produce more despite i have several chunks of meat left :

bug or some obscure game mechanism i know nothing about ?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:38:38 pm by Robsoie »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: October 18, 2013, 03:36:34 pm »

I think it needs to be reloaded. Try it, I think it uses either charcoal or batteries.
Or I may just be wrong.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: October 18, 2013, 03:39:26 pm »

No you were right, it was just out of battery but it does not told me that ingame , there was no charge indicator at all (as after finding a battery , i could reload the device and was able to produce dehydrated meat again, and it display now only the charge indicator)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: October 18, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »

A question.

I found 2 gallon jugs of bleach in a house, and decided to unload them/pour the bleach on the ground, then move to the nearby river , set fire to a shrub that is close, and use the river water with my jugs and bottles to fill the 2 gallon jugs of clean water.

But i can't find how to do this all at once, all i seem to be able to do is to press the craft item key, move to the drink tab, select "clean water" then select the recipient to contain it ... for each single unit of water.
A gallon jug being able to containg 10 units, that took some time, i can't imagine doing that for a jerrycan that can contain 100 units.

Is there a better way i'm unaware of to make the process much less tedious ?

edit : i bound a key to the unbound "craft as long as possible" and it seemed to be the solution as it now only ask me to select the recipient constantly until it's filled, i don't have to reselect the whole thing again and again.
Unfortunately i have no idea on how to exit that process now, if i press escape, it just ask me if i want to pour clean water on the ground, if i do or if i don't, it still go back at asking me which recipient  ... infinitely ( probably as water coming from the river, there's no end to it)

Is there a way to exit this never ending loop or is that a bug ?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:19:38 pm by Robsoie »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: October 18, 2013, 04:20:56 pm »

At the moment there isn't a way (though there really should be).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: October 18, 2013, 04:36:27 pm »

Thanks, i will not insist on my keyboard to try to find an escape :D

Just noticed the "Recraft last Recipe" in the keybinding list , while not a complete fill at once, it still helps as it's then only do the whole process once then press the  " - " key (bound to it by default) and select the recipient to repeat , shortcuting a lot when the recipient can deal with large content.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: October 18, 2013, 04:38:08 pm »

Theres also the "Craft as long as possible", witch may be good when dealing with gallon jugs while not next to an infinite source.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: October 18, 2013, 05:15:17 pm »

Theres also the "Craft as long as possible", witch may be good when dealing with gallon jugs while not next to an infinite source.

which*
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: October 18, 2013, 05:25:18 pm »

Yes, recraft and infcraft are useful functions. Although I wish we had a function that allows you to repeat the last action, not just the recipe, because filling ~10 plastic bottles with river water is pretty tedious.

Also: use container type as long as possible functionality would be nice - i.e. you default to a container type you've chosen while recrafting, so if you select to store the liquid in a plastic bottle, you will try to use up plastic bottles as container in the next recipe.

Another fun key is 's' while driving - it's handbrake. It's surprisingly useful, it either stops you dead in your tracks or makes you spin wildly, both possibilities being useful from time to time (the former speeds up going from driving forwards to backwards, the latter is good for tight turns).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Stabwound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: October 18, 2013, 05:52:17 pm »

Simple question, probably asked and answered 100 times but I was wondering, is it generally a good idea to play the latest trunk/experimental builds or stick to the official versions? I see they update a ton of things between official versions, but I'm not sure if that makes for a broken game or just something with a few bugs you might run into sometimes.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: October 18, 2013, 06:18:29 pm »

Simple question, probably asked and answered 100 times but I was wondering, is it generally a good idea to play the latest trunk/experimental builds or stick to the official versions? I see they update a ton of things between official versions, but I'm not sure if that makes for a broken game or just something with a few bugs you might run into sometimes.

Mostly the latter. It's not as bug-free and stable as the official release, but you can play it a couple of hours and not run into any bug at all. On the other hand, the experimentals introduce rather cool new features - for example, the current experimentals have much more comestibles, reworked vehicles, the newer ones have a new monster type...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Stabwound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: October 18, 2013, 06:20:12 pm »

I'm sold, thanks.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: October 18, 2013, 06:27:33 pm »

I'm sold, thanks.

Yeah, what I tend to do is download and play from the newest experimental either every time I need a new character, or once a day, whichever is longer.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: October 18, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »

Using the "experimental" version from the main website, i ran into a food dehydrator.

A deer ran into my current house/base and i managed to kill it, providing several chunk of meats.
Testing the device, i noticed it took 2 chunk of meat to provide 1 dehydrated meat (and sadly as that's a new character, he wasted a few chunks)

So i'm currently the proud owner of a dehydrated meat.

First the bad part.
Eating a dehydrated meat provide 18 nutritions (and make you thirsty with -3 quench), the 2 chunks of meat required for it would have provided 40 nutritions, and if both cooked would have given 100 nutritions (+ 16 enjoyability).
That already sounds like a really bad trade.

Looking on the crafting menu, making a rehydrated meat (to avoid the thirst hit) require 2 dehydrated meat + clean water.
But the result will still provide only 18 nutritions (and give 2 enjoyability)

So basically to generate a rehydrated meat and get 18 nutrition+2 enjoyability you would have used 4 chunks of meats (80 nutritions total) that you could have cooked and get 200 nutritions (and provide 32 enjoyability), and wasted 1 clean water in the process.

The nutrition side is simply a complete waste with the current numbers.
The main interest would be on the big games hunting and spiders attack, when you usually end with much more chunks than you can eat in 1 day, and the 2nd day they would all be rotten making it annoying to waste so many potential food.

With a dehydrator, you can then at least save those chunks for when you'll stop wanting to hunt or loot food and do whatever else for several days.
But looking at the description, "remain edible for an incredibly long time" does not tell you really how long you can stockpile them.

But still, 18 nutritions for all the meat component required, that really sounds weak.

Dehydrated meat likely doesn't have a spoilage period. Much like beef jerky, it will keep forever. Unlike beef jerky, it doesn't require salt, just batteries (which if you're like me you have so many you can't physically lift the stack). Cooking generally reduces nutrition compared to the components, you cook for the mood bonus or spoilage advantage.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: October 18, 2013, 06:45:39 pm »

Is it possible to use the Solar Panels to recharge batteries or battery-powered devices? Or are they only for vehicles? I'm running out of my batteries supply...
Feeling down? Click Here!
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 1086