Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860504 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7530 on: October 09, 2013, 07:17:55 am »

In my experience, chance of successful cutting depends on how damaged item is - cutting something shredded always seems to fail, while my own reinforced items I no longer need always give rags. Maybe just RNG playing tricks on me, though.

I've noticed that cutting stuff into rags seems to rely on my tailoring skills more than anything else, and that scissors seem to give the best results, followed by combat knives (I've never tried the larger blades), followed by any other kind of knife I've tried.  Sheets can commonly be turned into 20 rags by the time you have enough tailor skill to reliably sew without commonly seeing any fails.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: October 09, 2013, 07:52:08 am »

For whatever reason, I find rags kinda hard to come by.  Everything I try to slice into rags is cut into "useless ribbons", which seems kinda counter-intuitive for making rags.
Cutting an item into rags works similar to butchering a corpse, it depends on your skill and the item used, particularly your Tailoring skill, and the volume/weight of the cutting tool.  Scissors are the best, but with a few ranks in Tailoring you can start using a Butcher Knife instead, which is very convenient since you should always carry one of those.

I'd still like to see the Integrated Toolset usable as scissors, butcher knife, and sewing kit/soldering iron (using loose thread in your inventory instead of reloading) and all the stuff it seems like it should do.  It's actually such a useful piece of equipment it might need its own hotkey, preferably "A" as in "super activate" since it does everything, opening up a menu similar to the knife activation, giving you choices to cut things, repair items, cauterize, pry open a door, set something on fire...  And should be used as a butcher's knife automatically.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: October 09, 2013, 08:28:57 am »

Capital A is already a hotkey: use the item in hand. Pretty useful early on when you run around with a crowbar, you don't need to fiddle with inventory to open doors.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: October 09, 2013, 09:18:58 am »

Worth noting that a Drama Novel is practically worthless.  It provides a very small morale bonus and no skills or anything really important.

The morale boost can counteract some minor depression. Reading the high-level textbooks seemed to go slightly faster if I took a break for lunch, read a mystery novel, ate cooked meat (hot), and had a drink or something. All those good vibes get focus back up faster, which helps you learn a bit more. It's not a game-changer or anything, but it seemed to save a bit of time.

One of the reasons I keep an MP3 Player and Handheld Game System. Smaller than novels, and give about 50 morale apiece (HGS gives a little more if you play Robot Finds Kitty). Having more than one type of food and drink can really spike the morale as well.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: October 09, 2013, 09:24:35 am »

below is a link to the galenevil appreciation thread. He is our full time developer. He is working for mcdonalds wages. If you like the game, please say thank you.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3623.0

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: October 09, 2013, 09:43:04 am »

Huh, universal activation command... I should do that, but coding it is gonna SUCK... ;_;
Basically I'm saying take Girlinhat's idea for the integrated toolset, but apply it to your entire inventory, so it gives you a list of the things you can do given what you have on hand.  Possibly having a static list of operations and highlight them if you have the stuff, like the crafting and construction menus.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: October 09, 2013, 09:47:58 am »

It's strange that breaking windows gives string and sheets? Is this temporary until something else can be added to the game that gives these, or am I missing something here?
Feeling down? Click Here!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: October 09, 2013, 09:51:29 am »

It's strange that breaking windows gives string and sheets? Is this temporary until something else can be added to the game that gives these, or am I missing something here?

Have you tried "closing" a closed window?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: October 09, 2013, 10:00:46 am »

Heat insulation, I assume.

EDIT: Also. You know. Curtains. And assorted pieces-of-cloth-for-limiting-sunlight.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:04:53 am by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: October 09, 2013, 10:10:34 am »

Yeah, it's curtains.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: October 09, 2013, 10:18:36 am »

Yeah, it's curtains.

Does seem odd that you have to break the window to get the curtains, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: October 09, 2013, 10:22:17 am »

Yeah, it's curtains.

Close window.
Close curtains.
Break curtains.
Window should still be closed and unbroken.

Seems like a legitimate order of operations. No clue how the coding would work and it's certainly not a priority.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: October 09, 2013, 10:23:59 am »

Yeah, it's curtains.

At my house the curtains are attached to the wooden frame of the window so if you broke it down the curtains would fall along with the shade things.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: October 09, 2013, 10:27:32 am »

Oh, didn't think of curtains. Makes sense for houses, but public buildings usually don't have any curtains.
But then again even with houses, curtains are usually attached to the rails that are attached to the walls around a window, not really directly to a window, so braking a window wouldn't really touch the curtains.

Not suggesting it should be changed or anything, was just wondering how you'd get string and cloth from breaking glass ;D
Feeling down? Click Here!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: October 09, 2013, 10:39:22 am »

Yeah, it's curtains.

At my house the curtains are attached to the wooden frame of the window so if you broke it down the curtains would fall along with the shade things.

Some houses are designed with the owners' choice of curtains in mind. There's a frame and a window with space to do any sort of curtain rod later.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 1086