Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860411 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7515 on: October 08, 2013, 08:28:24 pm »

Use "<"/">" to swap between pages.
TAB also works for switching.

Armor layering works fairly similar to DF. It rolls 1D100 and compares it to coverage. If it's lower/equal then it hits the clothing, if it's higher then it skips it. It keeps repeating this until it runs out of clothes and hits you or is completely blocked.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7516 on: October 08, 2013, 08:30:56 pm »

So, first time playing this. The shelter I started in had nothing in it but a drama novel. I tried reading it but didn't understand if I actually read it or not, how can I tell?

Then I went outside and picked a house on the map I wanted to move to. On the way I encountered what seems like a dead military patrol. Several dead bodies, all with armour, an M4A1, lots of equipment, some weapon mods, medicine and supplies, and backpacks and other bags. I assume this is a rare find?
Also, how does armour layering work here, is it similar to DF? If I wear two pairs of tactical gloves, do I get protection from both?

1. Time advances, and it should be mentioned in the list on the bottom right.
2. Yes, it is a rare find. (kinda)
3. Yes, you do, but you also get the encumbrance from both. Encumbrance decreases associated skills & increases the time it takes to do things.

Here are some pertinent links:
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=14.1620;topicseen
http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Clothing

Also: for a first time playing, your luck is showing with that patrol find, (didn't even meet a zombie?!).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:32:48 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: October 08, 2013, 08:36:52 pm »

Worth noting that a Drama Novel is practically worthless.  It provides a very small morale bonus and no skills or anything really important.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7518 on: October 08, 2013, 08:45:26 pm »

So I figured out a good way to use fire to kill zombies without losing their gear. You light a fire in front of a bush and then lead the zombie through it. The fire damages a normal zombie enough that you can kill it on the bush before it has a chance to strike back even when you don't have a speed trait.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: October 08, 2013, 08:47:32 pm »

So I figured out a good way to use fire to kill zombies without losing their gear. You light a fire in front of a bush and then lead the zombie through it. The fire damages a normal zombie enough that you can kill it on the bush before it has a chance to strike back even when you don't have a speed trait.
We've been over this VERY FREQUENT!  If you use multiple lighter charges, it'll accelerate the fire and get it to lethal level very quickly.

This is also why every survivor should carry rags.  No bush?  Burn rags.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: October 08, 2013, 08:50:24 pm »

We've been over this VERY FREQUENT!  If you use multiple lighter charges, it'll accelerate the fire and get it to lethal level very quickly.

Your WORD is VERY FLAW!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: October 08, 2013, 08:51:12 pm »

We've been over this !!VERY FREQUENT!!!  If you use multiple lighter charges, it'll accelerate the fire and get it to lethal level very quickly.

Your WORD is !!VERY FLAW!!
!!FTFY!!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7522 on: October 08, 2013, 08:55:10 pm »

I needed a rag anyway. I light the fire in front of the bush not on the bush.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: October 08, 2013, 09:03:45 pm »

Lighting up the piles of clothes left by dead zombies works fine too.  Turns into a self-sustaining little bonfire after a while.

For whatever reason, I find rags kinda hard to come by.  Everything I try to slice into rags is cut into "useless ribbons", which seems kinda counter-intuitive for making rags.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7524 on: October 08, 2013, 09:11:37 pm »

Just break a window and chop up the resulting sheets.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: October 08, 2013, 09:12:45 pm »

I want to say that cutting up items is tied to survival, but I'm not sure. Just chop up a lot of clothing, zombies aren't exactly hard to come by.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: October 08, 2013, 09:55:25 pm »

Make sure not to use a katana or other proper weapon, they seem to fail bout 100 percent of the time. Pocket knife or scissors are the way to go, and even they seem to have only about a 50 percent or so success rate.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: October 08, 2013, 10:51:57 pm »

In my experience, chance of successful cutting depends on how damaged item is - cutting something shredded always seems to fail, while my own reinforced items I no longer need always give rags. Maybe just RNG playing tricks on me, though.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: October 09, 2013, 12:42:08 am »

EXCEPT in the EXPERIMENTAL, where this has been FIXED!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: October 09, 2013, 03:11:33 am »

Worth noting that a Drama Novel is practically worthless.  It provides a very small morale bonus and no skills or anything really important.

The morale boost can counteract some minor depression. Reading the high-level textbooks seemed to go slightly faster if I took a break for lunch, read a mystery novel, ate cooked meat (hot), and had a drink or something. All those good vibes get focus back up faster, which helps you learn a bit more. It's not a game-changer or anything, but it seemed to save a bit of time.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 1086