Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860050 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7455 on: October 06, 2013, 09:54:59 pm »

Living in the area, everything south of Tennessee is probably underwater by the time Cataclysm hits - not because of any rising water levels, but because humidity hot 100%, and the air became water.  It rains ALL THE TIME and is hot.  So yes, swamp creatures would be the primary occupants.

Vouched, with experience. It's not really summer til the temp and humidity are both 105.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: October 06, 2013, 10:35:05 pm »

Upper 80's is brisk, we start getting our sweaters!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: October 07, 2013, 12:19:26 am »

It seems that whoever on this thread wrote the fluff for acid rain was half-right: it isn't crap from portals, it's crap from toxic storage sarcophagi blown up to bits on purpose.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: October 07, 2013, 12:51:11 am »

It seems that whoever on this thread wrote the fluff for acid rain was half-right: it isn't crap from portals, it's crap from toxic storage sarcophagi blown up to bits on purpose.
Technically it's crap from several different sources (the main one being portals) all coming down at the same time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: October 07, 2013, 03:35:48 am »

The current lore timeline tells us that the thing keeping the acid rains going is the portals.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: October 07, 2013, 04:35:10 am »

The current lore timeline tells us that the thing keeping the acid rains going is the portals.

Oh, I see, I was linked to the outdated timeline on Google Docs or something. Might have been Whales's.

Although some points in the current lore are painfully stupid - most notably the lore on secbots is contrived as hell, but also, if zombification is strictly post-mortem and the infection is not lethal, that presupposes MASSIVE incompetence on part of the government (remember, this is New Cold War dystopian government, not couldn't-cover-up-a-break-in government, at very least they'd have black ops killteams or soldiers trained for security operations in XEDRA facilities or SOMETHING).

You want me to believe that trained soldiers were overwhelmed by fungaloids? You know, the ones you can fend off alone, without training in shooting stuff to death? That said, monstrous (no pun intended) incompetence among all services involved in zombie apocalypse is more or less de rigeur in the genre.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #7461 on: October 07, 2013, 05:14:42 am »

Well, as a survivor you're an oddity all on your own. You've got something that's kept you alive for a bit longer, despite all the crap that's going on. Just because Mister Jarhead  and his team have ten years of training and combat experience behind them doesn't mean they can respond reasonably and rationally in a situation where zombies and homicidal trees are a thing. In fact, just being in a group is a liability in a zombie situation where you don't know the rules. A military guy sees a friendly go down, he might try to recover the body, possibly putting himself in danger. If that body happens to get up, he assumes his buddy is still alive and turns his attention back to the threat. If he and his crew do recover the body without knowing it's going to come back as a zombie, they could get killed because they don't know how to handle it.

And keep in mind NPC's aren't fully implemented yet. They're still a ways off, but you can expect to find groups of hardened survivors, both military and civilian, once it's been put in.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: October 07, 2013, 08:14:02 am »

You want me to believe that trained soldiers were overwhelmed by fungaloids? You know, the ones you can fend off alone, without training in shooting stuff to death? That said, monstrous (no pun intended) incompetence among all services involved in zombie apocalypse is more or less de rigeur in the genre.

No. There were mostly overwhelmed by exposed Netherum. The hordes of hell spilled forth from the portal and rolled over humanity like the armies of judgement during the apocolypse, each more capable, more deadly, more powerful, and much much smarter than a Hulk. In their wake rose an army composed of the dead, and by the time they realized that our world had consigned them to certain death, our environment hostile to their very existence, it was too late for them - and for us. The Triffids and fungaloids played no party in breaking societies backbone - the hordes of what were essentially demons did that, and quickly spent themselves, dying and melting into the earth as if they were never here. Even then there would be more around if many of the labs and resonators hadn't been destroyed by bombing campaigns. (which really did do a lot to close many of the portals)

When you think of what broke humanity, think of kreks and flaming eyes and migos. After they died off, only then were the FEMA camps set up... and soon abandoned, as the government decided to focus its forces on parts of the country that weren't already completely worthless. This is specifically in New England, ground zero, but the problem has spread - there probably are places under secure control in the west of the country somewhere, far from the point of origin, but they still have to deal with portals popping up everywhere.

Reclaiming New England probably just isn't on their radar.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:18:03 am by GlyphGryph »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: October 07, 2013, 08:28:36 am »

Ten years of development on this game later, and we'll have a late-late-game involving setting up your own republic and defending against incursions by rival nations/factions.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: October 07, 2013, 10:10:54 am »

Have extra battery mods been removed? I've got electronics 5 and mechanics 4 and it's still not showing up on my crafting list.

I can't remember if I learned it from What's a Transistor before, because right now it's telling me it has a recipe I can't learn because my skill is too low...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: October 07, 2013, 10:14:12 am »

Battery mod is found in a book, you have to get the recipe.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: October 07, 2013, 10:24:56 am »

I think perception was 9 or 10 so not that low a penalty, it doesn't really matter though, like I'm saying I debug'd so firearms and handgun (and all skills) were something like 30-40, the piddly -1 or -3 penalty should be outweighed by the extremely high accuracy bonus guns and firearms gives.
You're thinking like a gamer :P
A "bonus" from skill doesn't negate having low perception and dex, no matter how high it gets.  If you're physically incapable of holding the gun steady or percieving the target properly, no amount of skill is going to make up for it.  Likewise there's only so much accuracy you can get out of a crappy gun, no matter how good you are at handling it.  Basically it's about removing obstacles to accuracy rather than stacking bonuses, which is how it works in reality.

Optimal accuracy requires:
Firearms 9
Specific skill (pisol, rifle, etc) 8
Dex 12
Per 12
No arm or eye encumbrance.
At that point the only sources of inaccuracy are the gun, ammo, and recoil.

With those stats and a really accurate gun and ammo, (one of the hunting rifles for example), you should be headshotting things at the edge of visibility.  I'm not going to claim it's optimal, at best it's "reasonable".

Those stats and skills have other effects besides increasing accuracy, such as accelerating reload times, reducing recoil effects, and recovering from recoil more rapidly.  Also for the stats in particular, having higher levels provides a buffer for the many, many things that can reduce them temporarally.

I'm working on a refinement to the system that will increase intrinsic accuracy of guns and ammo, and add a dynamic aiming system, so guns will be accurate as hell, but only when you take the time to aim.  Right now I'm snowed under with merging and putting out fires, so that's on hold :P
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:42:44 am by azmodean »
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: October 07, 2013, 10:30:06 am »

Does it require more than 5 electronics skill?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: October 07, 2013, 10:53:02 am »

Does it require more than 5 electronics skill?
My current character has the battery mod recipe with 3 electronics skill.  I got almost all of that skill level from the Transistors book.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: October 07, 2013, 11:16:59 am »

No. There were mostly overwhelmed by exposed Netherum. The hordes of hell spilled forth from the portal and rolled over humanity like the armies of judgement during the apocolypse, each more capable, more deadly, more powerful, and much much smarter than a Hulk. In their wake rose an army composed of the dead, and by the time they realized that our world had consigned them to certain death, our environment hostile to their very existence, it was too late for them - and for us. The Triffids and fungaloids played no party in breaking societies backbone - the hordes of what were essentially demons did that, and quickly spent themselves, dying and melting into the earth as if they were never here. Even then there would be more around if many of the labs and resonators hadn't been destroyed by bombing campaigns. (which really did do a lot to close many of the portals)

When you think of what broke humanity, think of kreks and flaming eyes and migos. After they died off, only then were the FEMA camps set up... and soon abandoned, as the government decided to focus its forces on parts of the country that weren't already completely worthless. This is specifically in New England, ground zero, but the problem has spread - there probably are places under secure control in the west of the country somewhere, far from the point of origin, but they still have to deal with portals popping up everywhere.

Reclaiming New England probably just isn't on their radar.

Quote from: Day 2
The first fungaloids are encountered by a military patrol, who are quickly overwhelmed. They report the presence of several large fungal growths, almost human height, before the fight begins. By the end of the day, the spires will be significantly larger, and fungaloids will begin to roam in the area.

That's the part I've been objecting to. If you meant that they were ambushed by subprime creatures, this should be cleared out. Right now, it implies that a military patrol was overwhelmed by fungaloids.
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 1086