Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866854 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7260 on: October 02, 2013, 07:41:54 pm »

In my opinion, rust just needs a few tweaks.
1: When you exercise a skill, it will not rust for several days.  This way your fighting skills will never have a chance to rust, while other skills can be upkept.
2: Add a method to idly practice what level you're at.  Just spend a few minutes practicing movements and thinking about what you know.  You could write a set of notes as well, at your current level, that would decrease the practice time and allow you to wake up, eat, perform a few practices of mechanics, first aid, and computer, and then go survive.

The BIGGEST issue is that skills will rust as you work on them, because there's nothing that stops the rust timer.  Depending on how unlucky you are, you can spend time sewing together a trenchcoat, and end up with lower skill.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: October 02, 2013, 08:02:56 pm »

Here's the basic system that we have planned out for skill rust at the moment.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: October 02, 2013, 08:12:03 pm »

This all seems decent!  I'd also give skills a variable rust rate, so as you accrue more rust levels, it takes progressively more time to gain any more rust, until maybe -3 levels when you stop rusting entirely.  This way, when you hit level 4 in a skill, it can only ever rust down to effectively 1.

Also, allow certain things to bypass skill requirements.  If reading no longer gains actual levels, then ranking Mechanics will be a total pain.  Disassembling vehicles is a GREAT way to gain skill, but requires level 2.  Getting from 0 to 2 is very difficult if there's not a book nearby.

Other skills are rather unique, and will need game changes or exemptions to make them workable.  For instance, Computer is only ever used to hack very rare doors, and as such is always at either 0 or someone turned off rust and read books.  Computer, First Aid, and Driving (maybe Launcher as well) should probably be excluded from skill rust entirely simply due to their nature of how they're used and the available chances to train them.  If new mechanics got added, like, to build and use personal computers using the skill, then it'd have a valid use and should be rusted normally, but right now there's a handful of skills I feel fall into 'special rules'.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: October 02, 2013, 08:37:28 pm »

Right, and all that stuff just adds more complexity without adding any interesting gameplay decisions. GirlInHat's points bring things home further... some skills just don't work well with the system and would need special rules or else be even more annoying and complicated.

It just seems like a few more buttons to push for the sake of pushing buttons.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: October 02, 2013, 08:52:51 pm »

Right now the game is just 'run around and zombies' but HOPEFULLY with NPCs being worked on, we'll get into bases and stable gameplay, and skill rust and gain will matter more for long-term survival.  That's why I'd suggest that skills not rust for 2-3 days after being practiced - it's fine for short-term running-and-gunning but it's also fine for long-term sit-and-farm.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: October 02, 2013, 09:07:30 pm »

I prefer to play with the rust off myself. It doesn't play towards the realism of not having a photographic memory, but I like the feeling of advancement. That thing you're doing? Do that enough, and you'll be able to do more things like that.  Having your skills rot just seems like a push to grind everything all the time.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: October 02, 2013, 09:16:24 pm »

I play with it off as well. A certain amount of rust makes sense, but a lot of things are rather punishing compared to how it works in reality. For example, I only use my leatherworking skills a few times a year, but I don't have any difficulty picking up where I left off despite that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: October 02, 2013, 09:19:36 pm »

I found a crate full of explosives just sitting on the side of the road. Should I be scared that the RNG is being so generous for once?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7268 on: October 02, 2013, 09:23:05 pm »

What if instead of an actual loss rust is a temporary thing and while it still takes xp to polish said rust off the actual cost is divided by ten or something. that way you lose skill in it but gain back what you lost quickly. Maybe have the amount the cost is reduced by a formula relating how far below your max it is, how long it has been since you last practiced it, and your int. Also maybe put a minimum to how low it can get such as a third or a fifth of your best, maybe related to int.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: October 02, 2013, 09:25:52 pm »

What if instead of an actual loss rust is a temporary thing and while it still takes xp to polish said rust off the actual cost is divided by ten or something. that way you lose skill in it but gain back what you lost quickly. Maybe have the amount the cost is reduced by a formula relating how far below your max it is, how long it has been since you last practiced it, and your int. Also maybe put a minimum to how low it can get such as a third or a fifth of your best, maybe related to int.
That's essentially what's proposed.  You have an actual level, which determines your recipes and only rises.  As skills rusts, your success rate for crafting goes down but your recipes remain, and rust will be removed quickly through practice.  Reading does not increase your level, but makes it MUCH easier to gain levels through practice immediately after.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: October 02, 2013, 09:38:54 pm »

....Did that zombie just take a GRENADE to the face and live?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7271 on: October 02, 2013, 10:19:54 pm »

(COME AT ME BRO)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: October 02, 2013, 11:14:41 pm »

Uglagh heagh kleh blaghhh hegehgegh, Braaaaaaaaaains

(dumb @#$% thinks a walking corpse cares much about shrapnel and minor concussive force, heheheh. GIMME YO BRAAAAINS FOO!)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: October 03, 2013, 03:54:29 am »

I have a shopping cart. I have a scooter I found that actually works and has gas. I have a welder and a welding mask. Can I somehow weld my shopping cart to the back of my scooter?

Also is it possible to make the viewable area bigger? There's a certain point where enemies are too close so it no longer shows them on the N/S/E/W thing at the top.... but I can't yet see them in the viewable area so I have no idea where they are. I tried adjusting the viewport in the options but that just seemed to make the whole window bigger, not add more viewable tiles.

Edit: nevermind, changing the viewport does add more tiles, but it also makes the black bar bigger so you don't get all the new tiles as viewable area so it does not help much. Setting the sidebar to narrow didn't seem to make it any narrower it just squished everything to the top

Edit2: it did make it narrower, I guess, just not much. I guess I just need a bigger screen
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:01:54 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: October 03, 2013, 03:57:37 am »

You can change the number of tiles displayed in the options. As for the shopping cart, you'll have to tear it down into peices first with a hacksaw and a wrench, then weld the casters and box to your scooter.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 1086