Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866771 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7245 on: October 02, 2013, 05:17:26 pm »

>blew up gunstore
>died
>Instant karma
The gunstore was asking for it. It was hiding zombies inside it.

VICTIM BLAMING!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: October 02, 2013, 05:19:31 pm »

>blew up gunstore
>died
>Instant karma
The gunstore was asking for it. It was hiding zombies inside it.

VICTIM BLAMING!
The gunstore didn't consider the implications.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: October 02, 2013, 05:21:08 pm »

The gunstore didn't consider the implications.

Yeah, it should know better than to assume everyone knows what the phrase 'open fire' actually means. :P
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: October 02, 2013, 05:21:21 pm »

My current character is the farthest I've ever gotten. He's a brute hulk with 10 Unarmed/Melee, 15 Strength and Krav Maga training, making him essentially unstoppable. My current base setup is a tent surrounded by a spike-pit moat with two-by-four bridges, with the exterior of the base lit up by several mini-vehicles I call "sentries". They're basically just shopping carts and light frames with a headlight installed, with room for a turret once I scrounge up the resources for them.

These defenses have proven to be invaluable thanks to the fact that I accidentally made this base next to a triffid grove. The queen gets awfully close to my base every now and then, but the most I have to deal with are straggler triffids (which are basically endless free food!)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: October 02, 2013, 05:25:19 pm »

Totally forgot about the 2x4 over the pit trick! Somehow. Need to implement that in my base. Also, I like the idea of the shopping cart lamps, although it's never made sense to me how the headlights get powered without worrying about car battery charge.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: October 02, 2013, 05:27:57 pm »

I wish you could double the skill rot time while retaining default mechanics. It is utter bullshit if I have to haul a book around at all times to prevent my lvl 10 skill from rotting every five goddamn minutes.

Also, fungs and zeds are toxic, but triffids who are plant equivalents of the two are perfectly safe. Dafuq?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: October 02, 2013, 05:31:04 pm »

I wish you could double the skill rot time while retaining default mechanics. It is utter bullshit if I have to haul a book around at all times to prevent my lvl 10 skill from rotting every five goddamn minutes.

Also, fungs and zeds are toxic, but triffids who are plant equivalents of the two are perfectly safe. Dafuq?
Fungaloids infect people to reproduce, and so have to be pretty toxic. Zombies are full of demonic chemical stuff so are toxic. Triffids are plants that reproduce by regular old plant-stuff, and are just... triffids.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: October 02, 2013, 05:33:55 pm »

Greens are good fer ya*. Even the all-consuming nightmare extra-dimensional ooze can't change that!

*especially when you're a cow

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: October 02, 2013, 05:35:40 pm »

Ever read the book? Triffids are walking plants that sit on rotting meat for nutrition. They're as edible as any other regular plant, except they try to kill you with barbed whips.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: October 02, 2013, 05:40:24 pm »

Vanilla Cataclysm's skill rot is pretty excessive; you can try out the other INT-based options or turn it off entirely (Though you probably don't want to do that given your own words.)
Considering what fungal parasites do to you, you'd think they're safe to eat?

And zombies are:
A. Animated by alien goo from another dimension that spread from the sewers.
B. Probably rotten to the core since the existence of skeletons implies that the vivification process does not completely stop decomposition.
C. Revived corpses from a civilization that has NUCLEAR WASTE DUMPS within driving distance from their homes.

Triffids in canon were valuable as sources of food and triffid oil; even after large numbers of them escaped and attacked people.

That being said, triffids do have a poisonous sting. I've never seen that expressed in game mechanics.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:50:51 pm by Blaze »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: October 02, 2013, 06:03:00 pm »

*venomous
It's a sting. You don't ingest it.

But yeah, it would be nice if triffids had a blinding sting attack.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: October 02, 2013, 06:32:46 pm »

I personally enjoy playing without skill rust, I know, I know.

It's not about the rate, I mean, skill rust cap at level 2 is pretty excessive and 'gamey'.

Somewhere around 5 or 6 would make a lot more sense, though. Is there a way to modify it?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: October 02, 2013, 07:00:50 pm »

Go to options, there should be an entry for it.
Int-based skill rust is exactly what it says on the tin. No idea about the others.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: October 02, 2013, 07:20:43 pm »

You can also set it to only rust down to the nearest full level (i.e. level 4 (55%) will degrade to jsut level 4 (0%)).

I... still don't see the point of skill rust anyway. At best it only adds pointless grinding to the game. At worst, there's things like forgetting how to repair the solar panels you custom build and installed on your vehicle 3 days later. Oh, and practicing first aid by making splints.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: October 02, 2013, 07:26:15 pm »

You can also set it to only rust down to the nearest full level (i.e. level 4 (55%) will degrade to jsut level 4 (0%)).

I... still don't see the point of skill rust anyway. At best it only adds pointless grinding to the game. At worst, there's things like forgetting how to repair the solar panels you custom build and installed on your vehicle 3 days later. Oh, and practicing first aid by making splints.
That's what I usually set my skill rust to.

As for the point of skill rust? It's a system that was originally designed to implement forgetting things over time, but was set way to high. Eventually we'll get around to completely rewriting it for a new unified system with books that we've got all planned out, but nobody has gotten around to implementing it yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1086