Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859703 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I told you about that, what, two weeks ago now?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Finally got around to playing again. Still on v.6, since my character there is doing the best I've ever done. I figure whenever he dies I'll finally upgrade.

Still haven't found a welder, though. I never find a welder and live past the first day. *sigh*

Oh, well, at least I found a functioning motorcycle and a gas station, so at least I'll be able to drive around to different towns at a decent pace to look for one.

How much of an upgrade is .7 at this point?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Learn something new about arson physics every day.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Finally got around to playing again. Still on v.6, since my character there is doing the best I've ever done. I figure whenever he dies I'll finally upgrade.

Still haven't found a welder, though. I never find a welder and live past the first day. *sigh*

Oh, well, at least I found a functioning motorcycle and a gas station, so at least I'll be able to drive around to different towns at a decent pace to look for one.

How much of an upgrade is .7 at this point?

.7 adds public works, think of them as mega garages/houses with no "friends", but they are on the edge of big towns (although often farther away then the evac shelters).

it also still says its version .6.

dev version is a massive upgrade, so go use that.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Imp's right on this one.

Also, fucking smoke inhalation. Don't try to cook anything over a proper campfire in DDA, you'll die.  :P

I've had good luck cooking over open campfires.

Don't stand next to it, you can cook from two squares away and this does reduce the amount of smoke you breath.

Consider using a filter mask when cooking, this is supposed to help with smoke.

Different ignition materials appear to produce varying amounts of smoke.  Consider lighting an isolated shrub on fire, without any other items in that square.  Failing that, consider lighting a single item, then using e to get that item immediately after you set the fire.  The object won't be visibly changed, and isn't immediately consumed, and the square where the fire was lit will now burn with a fairly small amount of smoke for a decently long time (I think this is buggy, but it is how the game works for now)

Finally, if your torso's in the red, go deal with that before you try to cook.

My character does cough some, but never very much using these methods.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Fire depends a lot on nearby fire squares to expand. Light one stick and drop it and it might take a long time to spread, if it even does. Light two sticks next to each other and the whole building will go up very quickly.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I went from full health to death spiral in about an hour when I tried to cook over an isolated single-tile bush fire. Back to paper wrappers it is. :x

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Yeah, cooking smoke is OP.  Fire simply grows too large and emits thick black smoke no matter the size!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Is this just in the new build? Because I'm doing all my cooking in a Brazier in my current game (v.6) and it works fine. Very little smoke, at least as long as I only use a single stick or board at a time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where are you guys standing, that you are dying from smoke inhalation while cooking on an open fire?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Literally anywhere near the fire?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Literally anywhere that crafting is possible, outdoor on the pavement mostly.  It only takes one puff of smoke to spend 20 minutes coughing so violently it can kill you.  I've just begun using RV Kitchen Units because a shiny new WARBUS is always top priority for me.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Sure, why don't you stop spamming the same things all the time then?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

@Sheb: just a little late to the party :P
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

The new cooking fashion is having a Gas Mask on. Did nobody ever teach you that in cooking class!?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 1086