Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861254 times)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4740 on: July 17, 2013, 09:46:32 pm »

Darkmere: you're encountering issue https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/1736
You can fix this by manually applying https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/1754/files or by updating. EDIT: oh, or by dropping your bow, which is the thing causing the problem.

Thanks for the bug reports everybody, we're going to release a 0.7.1 soon that fixes the item display render bug, the missing item bug, and several more.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:49:08 pm by azmodean »
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: July 17, 2013, 09:59:28 pm »

Thanks, manually updating fixed it. Copying the save to the new version breaks it, so I was going to wait for the fix push and probably gen a new world then.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:45 pm »

Links to experimental builds are broken or something.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: July 18, 2013, 12:03:08 am »

Links to experimental builds are broken or something.
Confirmed. 404'd
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: July 18, 2013, 01:08:50 am »

Actually, here's as good a place to mention this as any, since I don't have an account anywhere else. When I copy the save folder from 0.16 to 0.17 the world fails to load with the following errors:

catajson.cpp[52]: JSON error at save/artifacts.gsav[0][ammo]: value is not a string
catajson.cpp[52]: JSON error at save/artifacts.gsav[1][ammo]: value is not a string
catajson.cpp[52]: JSON error at save/artifacts.gsav[2][ammo]: value is not a string

I have 3 artifacts in artifacts.gsav, all with the first field being: "ammo":0,

That error thrown from the as_string() function, which requires a const... so it looks good, but the line error from catajson.cpp is from 52, the end of the next function, as_int(). It's kinda late and I haven't coded for a decade and change, so I could be way off, but something seems off there?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4745 on: July 18, 2013, 02:11:12 am »

Thought of a feature while recording tonights video that shouldn't be too hard to add. Can you make it so that the character name slot in generation is either filled with whatever the last character name you had or maybe have an option for default name that can be changed to either blank, random, or filled in with a specific name.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: July 18, 2013, 02:15:14 am »

I really want an option to turn the damn auto save erasing thing... i mean i had everything running perfectly.. i had my car just gased up, a decent amount of supplies building up about 9hour playing the game, i see a NPC in the wilderness, i bring my car around and choose to investigate...

i move between the NPC and a coyote the NPc fire a burst toward the coyote a *lucky* headshot killed me while i was still driving... really? ....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4747 on: July 18, 2013, 02:24:21 am »

You should not be dieing like that though its more of a problem with NPC's. I don't think that changing something like that in the default game is the best of ideas. Maybe a debug option you can turn on which when its on will ask if you want to die or not when your killed then returns you to full health and status when you say no. Other roguelikes have this sort of debug thing. Of course you would have to turn it on for that but honestly with how NPCs work right now it would be something to turn on when using them.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #4748 on: July 18, 2013, 03:33:44 am »

@Akhier the Dragon hearted: I'll see if I can wedge that into the World Factory if you don't mind waiting a month or so for it to be included :P Still haven't made up my mind for the order I will do the stuff in, but leaning towards World Factory / Mod Manager going in last so that it can tie everything together nicely.

I want to work on everything a little bit, sorta get basic frameworks running first. So I may have a prototype for the World Factory pretty soonish so that some preliminary testing can be done and sort out starter bugs :P
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4749 on: July 18, 2013, 04:16:57 am »

No problem what so ever. No one has complained yet. This is more of a ease of use type of thing rather then an important feature. There are definitely a lot of better things to work on. I mostly put it out there to see if someone would see it and decided they needed the thing now then go code it up.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: July 18, 2013, 08:14:30 am »

I really want an option to turn the damn auto save erasing thing... i mean i had everything running perfectly.. i had my car just gased up, a decent amount of supplies building up about 9hour playing the game, i see a NPC in the wilderness, i bring my car around and choose to investigate...

i move between the NPC and a coyote the NPc fire a burst toward the coyote a *lucky* headshot killed me while i was still driving... really? ....
I've actually asked about this frequently before.

As is: As soon as you die it instantly starts deleting your save.

What I want: When you die, it informs you.  When you press space bar to confirm, it begins deleting your save.

What this does: Normal players suffer no difference.  Those wishing to debug around, cheat, or otherwise faff about will be able to 'x' out and preserve their save like dirty filthy cheaters.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: July 18, 2013, 08:46:40 am »

that would certainly help avoid some of the really glitchy and kinda bullshit deaths, like walking down lab stairs and it not informing you that it's a pit of lava at the bottom.... you'd think any sane person would just not walk into the pool hah
Nom nom nom

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: July 18, 2013, 10:30:53 am »

It would also stop any YASDs (Yet another stupid deaths) from causing people to punch their computers.   Seriously, I once had a character who could beat a hulk without a weapon, and no martial arts either.   Stupid motorbikes, not being able to put a seatbelt on a saddle...
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: July 18, 2013, 10:40:54 am »

So... umm... driving around in my truck... looking for something interesting to do... I see there's a town on the other side of this river.  I know any location near water is supposed to be pretty hardcore.  Let's check it out.  I cross the bridge, and...

I think I'm going to drive on through as quick as I can.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: July 18, 2013, 10:41:32 am »

I've actually asked about this frequently before.

As is: As soon as you die it instantly starts deleting your save.

What I want: When you die, it informs you.  When you press space bar to confirm, it begins deleting your save.

What this does: Normal players suffer no difference.  Those wishing to debug around, cheat, or otherwise faff about will be able to 'x' out and preserve their save like dirty filthy cheaters.

This would be acceptable, we can push the delete operation to after the last death prompt.
Although a more robust process would be to make a backup of your save from another window while the prompt is up, then continue through the death prompt and restore your save afterwards.
1. Force-killing the game is just asking for save desynch errors.
2. I can't guarantee we won't put a cleanup method on the exit handler at some point, which might end up clearing the player save.

Alternately autosave is working pretty well now, especially with saving in vehicles fixed.  You might just want to script a periodic save file backup, possibly just the player save file.

In principle, I don't have a problem just marking the character dead with a flag or by moving the file to a graveyard directory, this would probably do what you want, yea?  We want to go this way eventually anyway.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 1086