Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860857 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4755 on: July 18, 2013, 10:47:31 am »

oh wow... that town was also completely surrounded by fungaloids... and then dense swarms of ants outside of that... I had to drive a good 60 miles to find relative safety...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: July 18, 2013, 10:50:49 am »

Dying is a bit harsh right now.  There's a lot of bugs and working-as-intended-but-weird that causes deaths out of nowhere.  Like when an NPC shows up and bugs out and kills you suddenly, or when your vehicle is working perfectly as intended and kills you by a quirk in the collision damage.

I think ideally there should be a main menu option as to how saving/reloading/dying works.  If enabled, when you die it asks if you want to reload from last save and simply rolls back (think Skyrim).  If disabled, it plays as normal, to discourage people from being tempted when they want to 'play legit'.  If you have the 'Hardcore' perk chosen at character start you automatically forfeit your death reload.

ALSO had an idea for a bionic.  Simple one.  Improved Oxygen Exchange: Normal human lungs don't utilize all of the oxygen they inhale, but these bionics improve your lung functions.  Permanent -X Mouth Encumberance to represent your better oxygen intake.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: July 18, 2013, 10:55:30 am »

Stupid motorbikes, not being able to put a seatbelt on a saddle...

Well duh, seatbelts on bikes are horrible, also generally for motorbike accidents it's better for the person riding not to be where the bike is.

Now what we really need is a better system of how to react to bike crashing of how far and fast you fly and how much damage you take.

Still something to explicitly allow players to save their characters seems very un-roguelike to me, I don't mind people being able to save-scum but I don't want it to be the norm.

In regards to bugs there aren't too many death causing ones really, NPC's running around killing people randomly might be expected during the Cataclysm, and for game-crashing bugs you can still revert to the autosave so that is working as intended.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: July 18, 2013, 10:57:30 am »

I've decided to take a break from cata for a bit, and I thought I might as well show what I had been working on.

I present the Hell Dozer
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Built from a car, 2 public works stockpile of material, and the 3 vehicles near the farm I built it in.  I had to ram my way out of the barn I built it in because it was 1 tile wider than the barn door.

The only things I've really been using it for has been breaking into banks.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: July 18, 2013, 11:02:06 am »

Stupid motorbikes, not being able to put a seatbelt on a saddle...

Well duh, seatbelts on bikes are horrible, also generally for motorbike accidents it's better for the person riding not to be where the bike is.

Now what we really need is a better system of how to react to bike crashing of how far and fast you fly and how much damage you take.

Still something to explicitly allow players to save their characters seems very un-roguelike to me, I don't mind people being able to save-scum but I don't want it to be the norm.

In regards to bugs there aren't too many death causing ones really, NPC's running around killing people randomly might be expected during the Cataclysm, and for game-crashing bugs you can still revert to the autosave so that is working as intended.
It may be, but "you lose" events simply aren't fun nor !!Fun!!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: July 18, 2013, 11:06:43 am »

Whatever happened to losing is fun? Many of the greatest stories in this thread, nay in this forum are from the tragic tales of death by misadventure

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:22 am »

Losing is fun, but not if every step, there is a d1000 change that a message pops up saying "you lose!"

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: July 18, 2013, 11:09:55 am »

Whatever happened to losing is fun? Many of the greatest stories in this thread, nay in this forum are from the tragic tales of death by misadventure
That's the point.  Losing to excitement is great!  Losing because the game decided 'the stairs down lead directly into a lava tile you could not prepare for and cannot survive' is just like waiting for RNG to close the window.  It's not 'losing' it's just 'being made to lose'.  I don't mind crashing my truck into a building, having it explode, and dying in a firestorm!  I do mind it when I get in my truck, accelerate, and the collision detection accidentally applies 9001 damage to me sitting in the seat.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: July 18, 2013, 11:37:06 am »

I'm against making character restoration a "feature" of the game, because that legitimizes it.  It's not a normal part of the game mechanics that you can "undo" to a checkpoint, that undermines the fundamental "actions/decisions have permanent consequences" ethos of the game.

That having been said, I'm also against the game "forcing" you to do something, for example by deleting your save out from under you when you die, so I'll look into that, probably by stashing your save in a graveyard folder, and resoring the character to the most recent save is simply a matter of copying the file back to the main save directory.  This will also allow other features we want, like comparing the records of your previous characters.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: July 18, 2013, 11:44:09 am »

Maybe implement something that prints a .txt if your character a la stone soup?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: July 18, 2013, 12:01:23 pm »

That having been said, I'm also against the game "forcing" you to do something, for example by deleting your save out from under you when you die, so I'll look into that, probably by stashing your save in a graveyard folder, and resoring the character to the most recent save is simply a matter of copying the file back to the main save directory.  This will also allow other features we want, like comparing the records of your previous characters.
I rather like this.  It lets a so-inclined player cheat without making it convenient enough for the casual player.

Also: On the + screen (clothing layer editor) please include feet and head.  NORMALLY these things cannot be layered, but the existence of socks+shoes and cotton hat + army helmet proves this needs a point.  Also it'd be really convenient just being able to change their order on the list, so you can reorganize your inventory to have your torso items on the top of the list, arm items grouped together, and not have socks just loitering in the middle of the list like they don't even care.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4766 on: July 18, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »

I'm an unrepentant cheater/save scummer when it comes to perma-death games. My time is valuable. I don't feel like wasting it by doing the same stuff again for hours on end just because I got unlucky.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: July 18, 2013, 01:29:15 pm »

I'm an unrepentant cheater/save scummer when it comes to perma-death games. My time is valuable. I don't feel like wasting it by doing the same stuff again for hours on end just because I got unlucky.
Guess what I do in DF all the goddamn time.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: July 18, 2013, 01:31:06 pm »

Amen
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: July 18, 2013, 01:45:14 pm »

Decided to drink a whole gallon jug of mutagen just to see what happens (didn't save it :P) and ended up in the middle of the slime and troglobite categories. I thought that the game encased you in one and then you just kept mutating that way.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 1086