Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860472 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3855 on: July 03, 2013, 12:13:10 pm »

Cata special zombies arguably aren't even special, given how damn many of them you encounter. When 70% or so of the zeds are special, none of them are.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: July 03, 2013, 12:33:59 pm »

Even without special zombles you still have more than one sort. I.E., army, police. I think there are also science ones, but im probably wrong.

The scientist zombies have magic science powers, so they got cut too.

I want to make a whole mix-n-match interface so you can pick which enemies you want in and out, along with some presets like classic zombie mode, but haven't had time to work on it.  As more developers have started contributing, my workload has mostly shifted to planning and merging changes, I don't have time for implementing major features recently.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: July 03, 2013, 12:36:58 pm »

Cataclysm manages to get away with it for me because its not just taking from L4D(2) but so many other end of the world settings.
It's probably worth noting that Cataclysm started its life as L4D RL.

I think it's certainly come a long way since then, and pulled from a great many more influences since, but that did inspire much of the initial design.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3858 on: July 03, 2013, 12:43:27 pm »

Yes I know and if it had just stayed a L4DRL it wouldn't be where it is now. Of all genres out there the zombies genre is the one I give about the least slack.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: July 03, 2013, 12:51:55 pm »

Yes I know and if it had just stayed a L4DRL it wouldn't be where it is now. Of all genres out there the zombies genre is the one I give about the least slack.
Whales did a great job of realizing he could program anything he wanted.  So he's like 'know what's cool?  Amigara Horrors.  OH LOOK I CAN ADD THOSE!'

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3860 on: July 03, 2013, 01:39:34 pm »

But now... zombies with electrical powers?
Well there are mutagens flying around that could turn a normal man into a beaked 3 handed furry upon ingestion... are electrical zombies so much of a streatch in this setting?
The zombies with electrical powers presumably have them due to implants, since you can get implants by butchering them.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: July 03, 2013, 01:41:50 pm »

On an unrelated note, and one that if I wanted to read the last 12 pages I'd probably have the answer too but don't want to.  How do you get the old font back, I really dislike the new style.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:54:26 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: July 03, 2013, 01:51:38 pm »

I tried driving without any skill. The flatbed truck soon went careening off into the nearby forest, leveling trees and smearing wildlife into paste. It was fun, I didn't die though. I like how much more common vehicles are since the last version I played, (0.4, I think.), and the way zombies now drop loot is nice too. Makes it easier to find a backpack, albeit a raggedy one.

Quick question, do crossbows only accept crossbow bolts? It makes ammo much harder to find then, since AFAIK I can't craft bolts, only arrows.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3863 on: July 03, 2013, 01:54:48 pm »

I tried driving without any skill. The flatbed truck soon went careening off into the nearby forest, leveling trees and smearing wildlife into paste. It was fun, I didn't die though. I like how much more common vehicles are since the last version I played, (0.4, I think.), and the way zombies now drop loot is nice too. Makes it easier to find a backpack, albeit a raggedy one.

Quick question, do crossbows only accept crossbow bolts? It makes ammo much harder to find then, since AFAIK I can't craft bolts, only arrows.
I believe you can craft wooden bolts but the skill requirement is higher than arrows.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3864 on: July 03, 2013, 01:57:07 pm »

As for driving try staying to a low speed until you have more skill. If you have zero ranks in it then its as if you had not driven before and I doubt any of use could do well in that kind of situation.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: July 03, 2013, 01:59:06 pm »

As for driving try staying to a low speed until you have more skill. If you have zero ranks in it then its as if you had not driven before and I doubt any of use could do well in that kind of situation.

Nonono. Speed up to max. Bail when you don't like the direction. Let the landscape sort things out, then go collect loot.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: July 03, 2013, 02:11:04 pm »

Speaking of speed, for some reason my semi lost its fuel gauge and target speed (the speed kept falling). is that just due to controls damage, or something else?

Also in my first driving experiment I tried it with a broken seat, managed to run myself over, heh.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: July 03, 2013, 02:27:09 pm »

So I've not played DDA at all, and was rather late on my last Cata build (not sure I played this year).  If I were to get into this again, is there anything to look out for?  Is food and water still ridiculously scarce, and do you still spend as much energy as full running panic even when reading books?  Anything with vehicles changed?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: July 03, 2013, 02:29:02 pm »

So I've not played DDA at all, and was rather late on my last Cata build (not sure I played this year).  If I were to get into this again, is there anything to look out for?  Is food and water still ridiculously scarce, and do you still spend as much energy as full running panic even when reading books?  Anything with vehicles changed?

There's more of everything. EVERYTHING. Including vehicles. Mechanics are the same, but there is more to do. Try it!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: July 03, 2013, 02:42:10 pm »

Personally, I have only played since 0.5 - and most of that time I played the nightly builds. I also have been slacking on 0.6 as ALL THE GOOD INDIE GAMES HAVE COME OUT AT THE SAME TIME :(

But the recent changes, at least the ones I have noticed, are:

- Zombies now wear and drop clothing in terrible condition
- You can repair/craft leather and other clothes. Upgrades require material, not thread.
- Heavily damaged vehicles are scattered everywhere
- Crafting recipes are much more numerous now. Some can only be learned from special books.
- JABBERWOCKS!
- You can siphon fuel from vehicles
- You can collect rainwater using a funnel
- Heat system was introduced (before I started playing), and then was unbroken
- NPC's are partially fixed, and rarely break the game. They still are dicks.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 1086