Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860467 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3840 on: July 03, 2013, 09:15:14 am »

I don't think it's a problem of realism, it's a problem with the concept of special zombies in and of itself.
Yeah, pretty much. They just really irk me.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3841 on: July 03, 2013, 09:16:43 am »

but just zombies is boring. And how would being a special zombie beat being a regular zombie? You're still dead.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: July 03, 2013, 09:20:44 am »

Yahtzee had a pretty good reason for why everyone likes special zombies and includes them in every zombie game.

"Sooner or later, though, even these people have to face the fact that it's fairly likely that they won't be one of the survivors in a zombie apocalypse scenario. I mean, an apocalypse depends on almost everyone being dead, so basic probability's working against you. Fortunately, the special zombie system grants a secondary level of exclusivity for the apocalypse dreamer. As their flesh bloats hideously and bile gurgles in their throat, one could imagine their dying thought being one of total elation. "I get to be one of the fat pukey zombies! I knew I was special! The popular kids were wrong to shun me!""

It's rather joking, but hey.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: July 03, 2013, 09:23:20 am »

I still don't see what's bad about them. They're more powerful zombies, like other games have normal and special versions of enemies too.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: July 03, 2013, 09:42:27 am »

I don't think it's a problem of realism, it's a problem with the concept of special zombies in and of itself.

And that problem is?
Realism wise not every zombie has to behave the exact same (altho growing 50 meter long tongues is questionable) and a bodybuilder would make for a way stronger zombie tham Gamer McPorkinson who never saw the inside of a gym in his life.

But now... zombies with electrical powers?
Well there are mutagens flying around that could turn a normal man into a beaked 3 handed furry upon ingestion... are electrical zombies so much of a streatch in this setting?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: July 03, 2013, 10:03:36 am »

Encountered my first Jabberwock.

Took it down with one shot of cocaine, a longbow, and a shrubbery.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3846 on: July 03, 2013, 10:20:36 am »

Actually, poisoning living creatures with chemicals you make/come across would be hilariously awesome.

Imagine lacing all of your arrows with extracts from hallucinogenic mushrooms to fight NPCs. While they fight off the horde of insanity charging towards them, overdose them on cocaine.

Now deal with NPCs that do the same thing to you.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: July 03, 2013, 10:33:47 am »

Now deal with NPCs that do the same thing to you.

Purple hits your brain for 30 damage!
Dinosaur lunges at you but misses!
The Telephone explodes in a shower of spectacular!
You feel sleepy...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: July 03, 2013, 10:36:25 am »

Even without special zombles you still have more than one sort. I.E., army, police. I think there are also science ones, but im probably wrong.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: July 03, 2013, 10:37:48 am »

And that problem is?
Realism wise not every zombie has to behave the exact same (altho growing 50 meter long tongues is questionable) and a bodybuilder would make for a way stronger zombie tham Gamer McPorkinson who never saw the inside of a gym in his life.

But now... zombies with electrical powers?
Well there are mutagens flying around that could turn a normal man into a beaked 3 handed furry upon ingestion... are electrical zombies so much of a streatch in this setting?

You're missing my point. The point is that Graknorke just doesn't like the idea of special zombies on principal rather then just because it's unrealistic. This isn't a question of how unlikely it is, it's just a question of whether or not someone likes the idea.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: July 03, 2013, 10:42:34 am »

For what it's worth, I think both options are equally viable; pick whichever one suits you better. At the end of the day, even special zombies become window-clogging rabble very quickly, so it doesn't REALLY matter which ones you pick.

Does Classic Zombies get rid of triffids, fungaloids etc?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: July 03, 2013, 10:43:01 am »

It says 'Classic Zombies', not 'Lovecraft mode off' ;)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3852 on: July 03, 2013, 10:44:29 am »

I must admit that if any other game besides Cataclysm did this I would call it a rip off of the L4D series and spit on its name. While Special zombies of a sort have been around ever since someone decided they wanted a faster one the layout and powers shown follow the recent trend of special zombie types. Cataclysm manages to get away with it for me because its not just taking from L4D(2) but so many other end of the world settings.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: July 03, 2013, 10:45:03 am »

It removes them. Just normal zombles and naturals.

Dang ninjas.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: July 03, 2013, 12:00:20 pm »

It removes them. Just normal zombles and naturals.
Indeed. Classic Zombie mode works by disabling the "reason" why zombies came into being and replacing it with just a normal disease zombie outbreak. The end result is that pretty much everything disappears, labs, portals, triffids, etc., since they are all "caused" by the same thing as normal zombies.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 1086