Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864920 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3195 on: June 01, 2013, 02:37:03 pm »

Hello other two reason I did not expect kickstarter to be what would happen. Expect to tell people a few hundred times that yes Cataclysm is still free. also expect to be answering it even if the post just before the post where they ask it is you saying its free and even if you changed the thread title to "yes its still free"
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3196 on: June 01, 2013, 02:37:59 pm »

One question:
To play/download  cataclysm i have to pay??
Why would you think you have to pay anything?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: June 01, 2013, 02:38:11 pm »

Whales released the game under a CC license that means it will never be anything but free and open source. You will never have to pay to play this game so no worries there. As to why Soron, he's not only one of are more dedicated and more skilled coders, but he's also willing to work for a very small amount of money - less than half what an entry level developer makes in the field, and he is far more skilled than entry level. Basically its because he WANTS to work on Cataclysm full time, and this would make it possible.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: June 01, 2013, 02:48:22 pm »

One question:

I don't know kickstarter .....

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3199 on: June 01, 2013, 02:49:31 pm »

One question:

I don't know kickstarter .....
Basically they're collecting donations so that someone can work on the game full time, similar to the way Toady develops DF. It will never cost money to get Cataclysm.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3200 on: June 01, 2013, 02:53:51 pm »

The difference is that they want to make sure they have enough to actually pay the programmer to do his work. Donations can lag but once this gets funded the money is there.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3201 on: June 01, 2013, 02:55:13 pm »

The difference is that they want to make sure they have enough to actually pay the programmer to do his work. Donations can lag but once this gets funded the money is there.
Indeed. And if they go over, that means he can dev for longer.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: June 01, 2013, 03:09:50 pm »

So it's going to be informal? He'll just collect the money and keep working on it?

Will some money be earmarked for some special works (I'm thinking of tilesets and musics)? What amount are you looking for?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3203 on: June 01, 2013, 03:32:40 pm »

All of these questions will be answered in the actual kickstarter pitch. Jeeze guys...

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3204 on: June 01, 2013, 04:00:59 pm »

and yet that won't stop people from asking

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3205 on: June 01, 2013, 04:04:18 pm »

I know.

Still, its best to wait for the full kickstarter pitch.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3206 on: June 01, 2013, 04:24:16 pm »

I don't think it's a good idea to discourage questions. If anything it's something else that they'll keep in mind when making the actual Kickstarter page, and while they may answer the questions that we have, we may give them ideas for more questions they can answer.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: June 01, 2013, 04:31:48 pm »

Asking questions is perfectly ok! Well be answering them all sooner or later

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3208 on: June 01, 2013, 04:32:42 pm »

Aye, I didn't say asking questions is bad. Just that they'd all be answered as soon as the kickstarter page goes up. :P

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: June 01, 2013, 08:22:14 pm »

i wonder if this is the first time a kickstarter has been used to fund an existing open source game.  I like the idea as long as the finanicals are taken care of and all the legal stuff is good.  Then it might find a wider use for other open source platforms -

That said if his doing work on it , will other contributions still be accepted from the open source community i still see others putting code in or will it become say like pioneer space sim and be a small group and anyone else putting in code will ahve to fork it into another project
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 1086