Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864922 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3180 on: June 01, 2013, 11:42:09 am »

http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

Kickstarter you say?  So it starts soon, and will have backers.... pulling a blank on the up though.  Maybe expecting it to go up?  But that's kinda the same as start.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: June 01, 2013, 12:07:33 pm »

Kickstarter will be up and open for backing soon. :P

Someone DID guess it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3182 on: June 01, 2013, 12:09:01 pm »

Don't even get me started on hulks... good god they kick my ass every time.
Admittedly not very good. :P

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: June 01, 2013, 12:23:56 pm »

cataclyms is not free??

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: June 01, 2013, 12:30:36 pm »

cataclyms is not free??
Free things can get money too, right?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3185 on: June 01, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »

The game is free for you but it does cost money to develop.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3186 on: June 01, 2013, 01:53:53 pm »

Or more specifically if we want someone working full time on the game it will require money so that person can do so. The options on how to get that money are either donations, making the game cost money, or kickstarter. Donations are not assured or at least not in the amounts needed to sustain the programmer so unlike Toady we can't do that. The game is free and honestly making it cost money at this stage would kill it basically because the code is out there and we would just get a splintered community with everyone going off and making CataFree or whatever. So that leaves kickstarter which I had discounted because I was thinking more along the lines of funding cataclysm but if its being used to basically hire a programmer to work full time it is quite workable. It makes me feel slightly sad though as my ability to apply money on the internet is basically zero.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: June 01, 2013, 01:59:57 pm »

Do you really think Kickstarter will work better than donations?

Anyway, what will the rewards be?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3188 on: June 01, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »

There are a number of things you could included. Basic things like making it so your name can show up as an NPC and other simple name drops would work. Also the thing that makes Kickstarter better then Donations is that we can set the amount so say we can pay for 6 months of development. If the Kickstarter works then we know for certain that for 6 months the programmer has a job. With donations what if one month we hardly get any? Do you expect the programmer to starve or something? Toady gets away with it because he has always gotten enough. Its not actually guaranteed but it has always been there so it has some momentum behind it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:09:40 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3189 on: June 01, 2013, 02:15:36 pm »

I'll be honest; I'd be more likely to do a one-time Kickstarter donation than click a "Donate Now!" button. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Looking forward to it.

Quick question, though: Since someone is ostensibly making a living off of developing this game, how does the copyright thing work? I know Whales dropped Cataclysm in favor of a pet project he's now working on, but wouldn't he still own the rights to it? Does copyright work differently with open source projects?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: June 01, 2013, 02:20:02 pm »

More generally, what legal structure are you going to use to manage the money?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3191 on: June 01, 2013, 02:26:34 pm »

What legal structure? Eh?

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: June 01, 2013, 02:30:27 pm »

One question:
To play/download  cataclysm i have to pay??

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: June 01, 2013, 02:30:28 pm »

After following the project's development well before Darkling's mod even took over, I'm also uncertain as to the internal stability and handling of money. Granted, projects I've trusted more had dev teams that were effectively an impenetrable black box.

So from what I read, Ethan "Soron" Kaminski could switch to being a full time Cata dev? Why him? I mean, aside from that I'd assume he's underemployed or something if he'd consider it. No one else? The other devs regard Ethan as one of the better programmers on the team? Will others still work on it while he's full time? Is it to remain open source?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3194 on: June 01, 2013, 02:35:45 pm »

Probably because he was the one who was willing to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 1086