Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862725 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2205 on: April 22, 2013, 02:57:43 pm »

I learnt that maybe I should be using the peek around corner command a bit more often. Had a nice run with archery but I went into a town, went round a corner and met a hulk, in the time it takes to swtich from using totally ineffectual bows to a SCAR Hulk smashed my legs making escape unlikely with the stupid high pain, and me being me didn't have the SCAR loaded so hulk smashed me dead :(
Protip: Run away.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: April 22, 2013, 04:04:05 pm »

It's happened a couple of times, but seems random. It's usually after I've been drinking mutagen and then purifying the results when something bad pops up. I've never tried just straight up drinking purifier, though.

*Shrugs* It's rare, so I haven't spotted a pattern to it. If I had to guess, maybe mutagen tries to add a trait, but sees the character already owns it, but something in the code flags the trait as "purifier-able" regardless. So then the next time purifier is drank, it gets removed like any other mutated trait?
If the game gives you a trait that cancels out your existing ones, purifying won't give them back.

For example, if you get ponderous, it'll cancel out your fleet footed, but chugging some purifier won't return the fleet footed.

That's not what happened. I would be jugging mutations, but still have (for example) "Poison Resistance" in the list. Then I would drink a purifier, and receive the message "You lose your Poison Resistance."
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2207 on: April 22, 2013, 04:05:26 pm »

I'll look into it, that sounds really annoying :/

In such situations, feel free to wizmode your mutations back.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: April 22, 2013, 04:19:46 pm »

I don't want to waste your time hunting obscure intermittant bugs. I didn't post to beg your attention to it, I was just suprised that it happened again (the last time I saw this bug was back when Whales was still active). So please don't worry too much about it, it's hardly game breaking. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: April 22, 2013, 05:23:40 pm »

The wiki didn't help too much with this, so I'm asking here.
This is my first character to be in a position to build a vehicle from scratch, rather than taking a broken down piece of junk for a joyride. Thing is, I'm not too sure what to do with it. I set up my base near a hardware store with a metal recycler, so getting metal isn't an issue. Most of the side of town I'm in is cleared, so resources in general shouldn't be too much of a worry. As of recently I've just been smashing up the display racks of local shops for metal, while I recover from Influenza.

I reckon I should probably go with a bike, if only because the engines I have access to are rather low power. My objious choices are either a 1-cylinder, v-twin, or a foot crank. Thing is, I was thinking that if I could fit a foot crank along with a small motor then the bike would still be quiet, but possibly a lot faster, and batteries are hardly hard to come by or make. The wiki doesn't mention how difficulty increases with multiple engines though.

So, what do?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: April 22, 2013, 05:23:55 pm »

For now just think about it as adding a bit more unpredictability to mutations. :p

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: April 22, 2013, 05:47:03 pm »

I learnt that maybe I should be using the peek around corner command a bit more often. Had a nice run with archery but I went into a town, went round a corner and met a hulk, in the time it takes to swtich from using totally ineffectual bows to a SCAR Hulk smashed my legs making escape unlikely with the stupid high pain, and me being me didn't have the SCAR loaded so hulk smashed me dead :(

Zombie Hulk = 130 speed
Me = 100 speed
time it takes to pop an Adderall = punchy hurt hurt
wishing you had taken a sawn of shotgun with you = priceless

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: April 22, 2013, 05:51:37 pm »

Zombie Hulk = 130 speed
Me = 100 speed
wishing you had taken a sawn of shotgun with you = priceless
I think that you should reconsider your choices. You should be hopped up on coke at all times. All times.

EDIT: Found an unusual bug. The game seems to have swapped my " and @ around for a while, then they went back to normal. This was represented in the keybindings too, where trying to set it to one would show it as being the other. Once everything returned to normal I put the bindings back so that they showed the correct keys and everything worked fine.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:01:33 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: April 22, 2013, 07:59:50 pm »

How do I make .40 S&W? I just fulled apart some .45 FMJ and now I have gunpowder, primers and lead. I also have a lot of .40 casings, but I can't seem to figure out how to put it together.

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: April 22, 2013, 08:07:16 pm »

you need some firearm skill to make ammo

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: April 22, 2013, 08:10:41 pm »

My firearm skill is 5, is that high enough?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #2216 on: April 22, 2013, 08:55:20 pm »

It appears that, despite my realisation that I needed a wooden spear to cook meat, and the resultant assumption that my lack of said spear had been the reason I couldn't cook my human flesh--my theoretical self in my theoretical world hand't been able to cook the human flesh they had been given, having been told it was ham--I still can't cook it at a fire :/

Has anyone else encountered this issue before? I have confirmed that I can cook wolf meat, but given the item has a different name, I'm assuming the recipe isn't set to handle human flesh as a chunk of meat. If that is the case, would it be possible to add human flesh to the list of ingredients (or create a new crafting recipe entirely, so that you can still track whether that cooked meat came from an animal or a human, so appropriate guilt/refusal to consume can be applied) as currently animal meat still performs better than human flesh, even if your character has no moral issues with eating dead people.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: April 22, 2013, 09:32:43 pm »

Zombie Hulk = 130 speed
Me = 100 speed
Why are huge things that can disable you in one shot the fastest enemies again? Seriously. I know it kind of makes sense for something with a longer stride to move faster, but it is a bit bothersome when you're capable of running from all the enemies that pose very little threat to you while the really high-power ones will always catch up.

Also, trying to melee a zombie hulk sucks. I don't care how high your HP max is or how reinforced your polo shirt is - that thing hits, you're gonna be in more pain than someone giving birth to a sea urchin.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: April 22, 2013, 09:46:58 pm »

Presumably to present a threat that can't be nullified by the two standbys of Cataclysm. That is to say, you can't beat it with Fleet-Footed or a random window. Of course if you have a Savage 111F you can turn a hulk into chunky salsa and outrun anything else that shows up, so there's that. My favorite gun ever, reach out and touch someone! Even better if you can find a sniper mod kit, because it doesn't take any of the negative changes from it. That finger of god alone is enough to eventually turn almost every one of my characters into a sniper.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: April 22, 2013, 10:01:08 pm »

I've found that the quickest way to success is to find a farm, move all the barbed wire fence so it surrounds the buildings, and then just collect the meat from the animals that kill themselves on the fences, and boil the water in the toilets by burning first the withered plants, then skewers once those are gone.

From my travels I've collected enough barbed wire to make a 3 tile thick wall of barbed wire around the 3 farm buildings and a 3 tile pit on both sides. Add on top of that the fact that I just shoot the fuck out of anything that tries to get across with my bow and I pretty much can't lose.

My only real challenge now is collecting vehicles and bringing them back to base to take apart.
I've played a guitar with my penis.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 1086