Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862584 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2190 on: April 22, 2013, 09:26:53 am »

Kill important political figure, eat flesh. Enjoy power and money.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: April 22, 2013, 10:28:27 am »

I just learned that my old emergency "quick start a fire on this door and book it out the back" method of zombie escape is no longer wise.  Particularly the "Drop a single bullet and light it on fire" part.

Ow.  Maybe I should use something smaller than a 30-06 round next time.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: April 22, 2013, 11:18:46 am »

So how is everyones apocalypse going? I'm actually doing really well for once :D Just need to find a vehicle then I can explore a little further.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: April 22, 2013, 11:35:18 am »

Just fried all my CBM because of a failing installation, but otherwise doing good. I found a old, beat up Beetle and I'm currently cleaning up a town to get some fuel.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2194 on: April 22, 2013, 11:36:48 am »

So how is everyones apocalypse going? I'm actually doing really well for once :D Just need to find a vehicle then I can explore a little further.
Deploying Hulks in 3... 2... 1
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: April 22, 2013, 11:55:42 am »

Found a heavily damaged quadbike while going rambo on a city.  Decided to use it to scout for a real vehicle before continuing the carnage.  While scouting I got boomered and lost control of the quad. Smashing into the side of a building.

Quadbike survives, but it's too slow to get away in.  So I light up a cigar and begin to unload into the horde.  First time finding real effective use of the burst fire mode of an assault rifle.  This is why I keep a rifle, shotgun, AND a revolver for.  And I used them all in that fight.

I survived, but in the immortal words of Burt "I am completely out of ammo.  ...That's never happened to me before..."

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: April 22, 2013, 12:07:01 pm »

Tested at 20 strength. Blades still get stuck. That whole "Your 'blade' gets stuck in the X, but you yank it free"? Your blade is still getting stuck, you just manage to keep it in your hands after 3ish+ turns of trying to yank it out.

And during those turns anything chasing you can move several squares. Or if they're already next to you get several free swings at you.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: April 22, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »

Maybe try upping your dex? Or get a blade skill high enough, maybe 3+.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: April 22, 2013, 12:48:15 pm »

I had 20 dex. I also tested it at several skill levels. And have found several things out.

Your blade will still get stuck at 20 strength 20 dexterity and 13 melee, blade, and blunt skill.

BUT. If you hit an enemy for a certain amount or percentage above its HP, you won't get stuck at all. Crit a zombie dog for 200 and you will never get stuck. I'm not entirely sure if this is related to overkilling something so much you gib it so it doesn't even leave a corpse or not. But it may be.

So eventually at high enough skill levels when you get big crits with pretty much every hit, you'll pretty much only get stuck in masters or hulks or other beefy stuff with large HP pools. Or if you're just unlucky.

But you have to be higher than 11 skill in blades AND melee before you semi-reliably stop getting stuck on everything you swing at.

And I've never had a blades character survive past... 8 or so skill. But if you max strength to twenty and turn skill rust off and are VERY careful you could eventually get to the point where you only get stuck in really strong stuff.

Blades are still terrible weapons because it would take a LOT of fighting to get up that much skill. and during all that fighting you'll be getting stuck. Plus you would need to sacrifice a lot of character generation points to get strength up that high. Less strength = less damage which = needing even more skill to get damage high enough to not get stuck.

Still say blades need looking at before they're an equally viable weapon type to use.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:55:13 pm by Kaitol »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: April 22, 2013, 01:36:38 pm »

It was a little frustrating to discover that Purifier is still able to remove starting traits, even though I'm pretty sure I've heard mutiple times over the months (pre-DDA) that this was fixed. Lost my poison resistance and Fleet-footed to it, bleh.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: April 22, 2013, 01:50:22 pm »

Huh, chugging purifier doesn't seem to be removing my fleet footed.
My cabbages!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: April 22, 2013, 01:54:39 pm »

It's happened a couple of times, but seems random. It's usually after I've been drinking mutagen and then purifying the results when something bad pops up. I've never tried just straight up drinking purifier, though.

*Shrugs* It's rare, so I haven't spotted a pattern to it. If I had to guess, maybe mutagen tries to add a trait, but sees the character already owns it, but something in the code flags the trait as "purifier-able" regardless. So then the next time purifier is drank, it gets removed like any other mutated trait?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:56:21 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: April 22, 2013, 01:59:39 pm »

So, on my newest character, I've been running around in nothing but a skirt and sneakers, boinking zeds with an aluminum bat and parkouring over everything. It's only at this point that I realize I'm playing as femScout.  :-X

Also, I love that there's now a name difference between water and water that won't keep you up all night vomiting.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: April 22, 2013, 02:05:38 pm »

It's happened a couple of times, but seems random. It's usually after I've been drinking mutagen and then purifying the results when something bad pops up. I've never tried just straight up drinking purifier, though.

*Shrugs* It's rare, so I haven't spotted a pattern to it. If I had to guess, maybe mutagen tries to add a trait, but sees the character already owns it, but something in the code flags the trait as "purifier-able" regardless. So then the next time purifier is drank, it gets removed like any other mutated trait?
If the game gives you a trait that cancels out your existing ones, purifying won't give them back.

For example, if you get ponderous, it'll cancel out your fleet footed, but chugging some purifier won't return the fleet footed.
My cabbages!

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: April 22, 2013, 02:07:55 pm »

I learnt that maybe I should be using the peek around corner command a bit more often. Had a nice run with archery but I went into a town, went round a corner and met a hulk, in the time it takes to swtich from using totally ineffectual bows to a SCAR Hulk smashed my legs making escape unlikely with the stupid high pain, and me being me didn't have the SCAR loaded so hulk smashed me dead :(
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 1086