Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862795 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #495 on: January 25, 2013, 11:45:11 am »

The Jan 20 release.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #496 on: January 25, 2013, 11:52:07 am »

And you're certain you aren't carrying over your volume or weight limit?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 25, 2013, 11:58:55 am »

Oh, I feel stupid.  The reason you couldn't load the save is because I copied the save folder without actually saving the game first.  I've already moved on in the game, so I guess I can't check now.  I'll let you know if it happens again.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 25, 2013, 12:03:19 pm »

Ok, I am right... Darkling Wolf is the creator. Making this the second time I've bad mouthed a game with the creator in the room.

MIND you... this is probably the time I am the least in trouble. Given people ignored my comment (which offputs me)

One thing that I often wonder is why most zombie survival games have stores filled with a few items. It seems like Dead Rising was the only game that ever actually handled that in decent terms (somewhat... kinda).

Mind you in this game I always just assumed that when you enter a store it was already ransacked and whatever you see was just what was left.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 25, 2013, 12:07:55 pm »

Ok, I am right... Darkling Wolf is the creator. Making this the second time I've bad mouthed a game with the creator in the room.

MIND you... this is probably the time I am the least in trouble. Given people ignored my comment (which offputs me)

One thing that I often wonder is why most zombie survival games have stores filled with a few items. It seems like Dead Rising was the only game that ever actually handled that in decent terms (somewhat... kinda).

Mind you in this game I always just assumed that when you enter a store it was already ransacked and whatever you see was just what was left.
It's a bit more complicated than that.

Cataclysm is an open source game made by Whales, but recently whales has stopped development. Darkling wolf had a popular mod for cataclysm, so this is his branch of Cataclysm, and probably the most official one.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 25, 2013, 12:11:14 pm »

Yeah, Whales is the original creator and responsible for the vast majority of the game today. I and several other people much more talented than I are working on continuing development.

That's basically the explanation, when NPCs are more fleshed out and functional they'll actually be going around looting stores and stockpiling stuff, but for now it's just sort of abstracted.

www.cataclysm.glyphgryph.com/smf/index.php?topic=127 This thread has a lot of discussion on the matter.

As for the 'badmouthing' well, I hang out on 4chan, so pretty much anything you can say has been said by them already.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:14:40 pm by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 25, 2013, 12:31:08 pm »

Well that explains why you seem so... stable but the people speak like a really old newgrounds flash movie.

Though am I right about that or are people set up to have different ways of speaking and the one I saw was the one who spoke in the language of swearanese?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 25, 2013, 12:34:41 pm »

I think it's mostly for laughs, the average NPC will respond 'Fuck no you fuck fuck fucker fucking fuck asshole fuck' with the slightest provocation. When they're more fleshed out and stable, they'll be less psychotic.
My cabbages!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 25, 2013, 12:46:35 pm »

I am thinking of features that are useless but interesting in concept.

A Country selector. It doesn't change anything except the frequency of certain buildings or even if they exist.

Not a suggestion. Sorry it just seemed like a cool idea.

In the future will some buildings be fleshed out more so they have a use, if they would have one, like getting treatment plants working so they have running water for a while?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 25, 2013, 01:03:19 pm »

Not a bad idea, I'll make note of it, but don't expect it any time soon.
My cabbages!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 25, 2013, 01:05:03 pm »

Not a bad idea, I'll make note of it, but don't expect it any time soon.

Which one? >_<

I actually technically made two there.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 25, 2013, 01:05:33 pm »

The one about sewage plants. I'm not gonna go adding a shitload of if statements to mapgen to determine what buildings are placed :P
My cabbages!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 25, 2013, 01:06:50 pm »

The one about sewage plants. I'm not gonna go adding a shitload of if statements to mapgen to determine what buildings are placed :P

I am glad you didn't just say "yes" :P

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 26, 2013, 03:50:03 am »

Building walls don't mention being smashable, and from trying it seems they aren't. On the other hand I've seen destroyed walls, rubble, and my only encounter with a zombie hulk so far ended with a trashed store with wood splinters and nails all over. It would seem there ARE ways for walls to be damaged/destroyed.

Does the player have access to ways to destroy them too?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:47:03 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 26, 2013, 05:03:25 am »

Jackhammers, Sonic Resonators, Explosives and vehicles.
My cabbages!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 1086