Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862688 times)

ComputerWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #510 on: January 26, 2013, 05:10:42 am »

Jackhammers, Sonic Resonators, Explosives and vehicles.
Just wondering, is it possible to add pick-axes to the game? Since it is, afterall, a tool that can be used in RL to break concrete walls. (I think.)
Aye, but when you play a fighter, only doors will know fear in your presence.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #511 on: January 26, 2013, 05:16:18 am »

I'll be adding them as soon as I can figure out a nice way to make them work.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 26, 2013, 05:21:03 am »

What kind of Pick-axes? I actually can't think of the last time I seen one. There arn't even mines in this game.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 26, 2013, 05:30:40 am »

I have three in my garage at home :P

And there are mines, several varieties of them.
My cabbages!

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 26, 2013, 05:57:03 am »

Since smashing isn't an option, one way to make pickaxes work could be to make them act like a ranged weapon, with a range of 1 and a 1-tile explosive-like effect that damages them a bit(if walls can be destroyed gradually). There's always the option to make it work like other construction options, there are already dismantling options in there.

For a more thorough, long-term implementation, maybe something in the vein of how books work. Have walls keep track of how much they've been chipped at and make strength work as a multiplier, tying it to the endurance system once it's in would make sense too.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 26, 2013, 06:19:27 am »

The one about sewage plants. I'm not gonna go adding a shitload of if statements to mapgen to determine what buildings are placed :P

There are a hell of a lot better ways to implement that than "a shitload of if statements", you know.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 26, 2013, 06:33:32 am »

Usually, running water for towns and cities requires power to operate. Issue is if something happened which caused the death of most people and nobody was left to man the power station, even ignoring dead man switches, pretty much the entire place would be out of power within anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days. The network needs to be monitored to fix areas where there is extra stress. If nothing is done something will blow somewhere and then the stress on the rest of the network increases and you get a cascading power failure and everything ends up powerless. Even with people manning the power plants, cascading power failures happen sometimes. With nobody to keep an eye on stuff you'd be out of power all over as soon as anything disrupted the network like say... houses and power lines having been turned into craters all over.

Getting the sewage/water treatment plants working would be really hard, and even if you managed to generate the amount of power required to bring one back online, all that power, and potentially the fuel used to generate it, would be better used on something else since you've only really got one person to worry about and a hotplate or a fire can already get you your water. Also, water treatment plants require a fair supply of chemicals to clean your water.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:41:46 am by Ygdrad »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 26, 2013, 06:44:34 am »

I will say that the Sewage treatment plan would likely have concentrated Mutant ooze.

Though I will say that boiling likely won't get the mutant ooze out of water. You actually need to do something a bit extra. Ignoring that the game doesn't have mutant ooze.

Anyhow Ygdrad you are forgetting one important detail: No one has sinks, baths, or running water of any type. The Sewage plants are obviously not made to send water to all the houses (and oddly enough... given that the only place that quasi-links to sewage plants... is not a civilian building. It is quasi-canon)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:47:52 am by Neonivek »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 26, 2013, 06:59:53 am »

The houses do have toilets(that's where i tend to refill my bottles with water to clean later ><) the tubs and sinks are probably just an omission or whales felt they wouldn't add much/wanted us to suffer and drink from the bowl. The houses are definitely linked to the treatment plant, it's just not a connection you can walk through, you can't really climb up the pipes and into someone's crapper.

Anyways, sewage treatment plants don't distribute water to the houses, they take your waste water and treat it to make it environmentally safe to dispose of.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:18:04 am by Ygdrad »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 26, 2013, 07:19:11 am »

The one about sewage plants. I'm not gonna go adding a shitload of if statements to mapgen to determine what buildings are placed :P

There are a hell of a lot better ways to implement that than "a shitload of if statements", you know.
I'm aware, I just wasn't interested in writing an essay as to why I didn't think it was an excellent idea.
My cabbages!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #520 on: January 26, 2013, 12:23:18 pm »

Yeah, regardless of how easy it is or not, it's a lot of work for very little impact to the game.

As for sewage treatment plants, I was under the impression that the game started three days after the initial infection, when everything went to pot and...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, to me, it makes sense the way it is, though I'm pretty sure most American water facilities have backup generators, unless there are water towers in the area to keep water pressure up in case of an emergency.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 27, 2013, 06:48:47 am »

Encountered that issue with Hard Arm Guards + Trenchcoat again. 

Here's the save file.  A proper one this time.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 27, 2013, 07:46:40 am »

Must be some weirdness with how the game layers encumbrance on the arms, I'll look into it.
My cabbages!

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 27, 2013, 08:09:55 am »

Do gas stations eventually run out of gas or can I keep siphoning them for vehicles and molotovs?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 27, 2013, 09:18:17 am »

Not at the moment, though that is going to change in the very near future if granade has his way.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1086