Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862461 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #465 on: January 23, 2013, 09:07:01 pm »

Wait, I thought it was 14 INT required to read everything? Or did that change?

In any case, 11 INT is good enough if you have plenty of Adderall to spare.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51:26 pm »

Most mutations have a negative counterpart that completely removes any progress on a mutation tree. Except stat mutations! Sleep in a toxic waste dump enough, and inevitably you will have maxxed stat bonuses.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 23, 2013, 11:27:49 pm »

What is depressing is taht the perfect game would be this game combined with THE GAME ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE IT! (to the extent where I wonder if they were different versions of the same game).

Given that one actually had a living breathing city.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:00 pm »

How do you guys build your vehicles? I've started building my first, and so far it's been real dangerous. Steel frames found in garages are too heavy to safely get out of town, same for some other things like engines. The alternative to dragging steel frames is (s)mashing every display/shelf in town to get some steel(tip for those who didn't know, they also give pipes), and craft frames with it, but that makes a ton of noise and stuff gets rough rather quickly.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:14 am »

Mother: Doctor, my son can't understand the writings on children books at all! What should I do?

Doctor: You should give him some more meth.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #470 on: January 24, 2013, 02:08:57 am »

A couple of biotics can change them, as well as getting EXTREMELY lucky with mutations.

I didn't realize that stat changes were in the game.

I guess I haven't slept in enough toxic waste dumps lately.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 24, 2013, 02:18:31 am »

Be careful though. If you get radioactivity without and purifier handy, you're screwed.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 24, 2013, 02:25:24 am »

Pff, if you've got vodka on hand radiation is no problem!

Oh wait... wrong game. Possible feature?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 24, 2013, 03:59:17 am »

well, after some running around on roads I found a truck and a scooter, guess that's how people get parts for their vehicles(aside from the stuff lying around on the road). Good thing I found that truck, I'm on my 3rd day on this character and I badly need to leave this place. The shelter I started in is close to a swamp(and so is the only nearby city) and I'm getting tired of giant insect shenanigans. Those things are either super fast or nigh-impossible to kill.

Edit: I was recording a Let's Play for some friends and whoever else might watch it and went for a few trips between the town and my camp during the first day since i could outrun the zombies. After the third trip, zombies followed me back to the shelter and the NPC got out to "help" me. Unfortunately that Let's Play ended right there and then because she had such horrible aim that she hit me instead of the zombies repeatedly before I could get away from there and I died.

Also, I had an interesting encounter with an npc on a pistol character that went like this:
*notices npc while exploring, goes the other way*
npc starts following
Leah Mitchell:"Hey, I absolutely REALLY want to talk to you!"
*keeps walking*
Leah Mitchell:"Lets talk, traveler!"
*keeps walking*
Leah Mitchell:"Hey dude, lets talk!"
*blam*
Leah Mitchell misses
she misses dozens of times and I thought she was just shooting at a faraway wolf until I finally got hit in the arm
Leah Mitchell:"Hey, I most most for real REALLY want to talk to you!"
I definitely couldn't fight the crazy woman at this range using my pistol so I took cover and waited for her to fight the wolf to get closer and try talking to her.
*approaches Leah while she's busy shooting a wolf*
Leah Mitchell:"HA HA SUCKER! DROP YOUR GOD DAMN WEAPON!"
*declines*
Bang!
You shoot Leah Mitchell's eyes.
Bang!
You shoot Leah Mitchell's head.
Leah Mitchell dies!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:25:46 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 24, 2013, 11:03:50 am »

Frikkin NPCs and their crazyness.  I encountered an NPC that wanted to mug me once... while I was hurtling straight towards them at 50 mph in a car that had more blades and spiked plating than wheels.  They told me to drop my weapon (a steel spear).  I declined saying I wasn't going to hurt them.  I wasn't entirely lying, I wouldn't try to hurt them... but I highly doubted I would be able to stop my car in time.

They opened fire, hitting me once in my chest with a big revolver, I punched the gas, and my car came up one tile short.  They shot again, hit my chest again.  *Game Over*

I died first, but my car was about to blend them so I'll call that a draw.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #475 on: January 24, 2013, 02:09:35 pm »

Something needs to be done about cars, NPCs, and guns. They're just too accurate against things going 60 MPH behind tons of plating, frames, glass, doors, roofs... No matter if you're driving beside them or hurtling towards them, they shouldn't be crack shots in that situation unless they're godly and/or jaw-droppingly lucky.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

ComputerWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 24, 2013, 03:38:25 pm »

Something needs to be done about cars, NPCs, and guns. They're just too accurate against things going 60 MPH behind tons of plating, frames, glass, doors, roofs... No matter if you're driving beside them or hurtling towards them, they shouldn't be crack shots in that situation unless they're godly and/or jaw-droppingly lucky.
Is there any doubt that NPCs are currently godly, 'jaw-droppingly' lucky, and game-crashing? The latter has been fixed fortunately (in exchange for mere errors), and hopefully they won't be so godly and actually be like normal survivors... As normal as a survivor can be, of course.
Aye, but when you play a fighter, only doors will know fear in your presence.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 24, 2013, 03:38:46 pm »

Problem is the way the game views itself. Right now, the game treats each turn as the turns appear - everything is still, time is frozen, everyone is deciding what to do.
It needs to treat itself like reality - the car/person is flying by/running, and you're trying to aim at it while moving.

Basically, we need movement to affect an entity's ability to aim.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 24, 2013, 04:26:56 pm »

Stupid question, but does this game have a graphical pack yet?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 24, 2013, 05:44:39 pm »

Yes, it currently uses cutting edge, latest gen ASCII modeling.

Sorry about that. Literally every 10th post in either Cataclysm thread asks the same thing. I believe it's a low priority and most people find that the UI is so good that it's not really needed. Personally I don't really miss the tiles much, and I hate playing any roguelike in ASCII only.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 1086