Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862496 times)

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #435 on: January 16, 2013, 09:27:56 pm »

A fungal spire from some lovecraftian dimension so big it gets its own map tile, meaning you can see it from a few miles off over the horizon. It's at least as big as a freaking radio tower.
Total pushover, though overall not quite as easy as the original beehives.
The early-game easy-street beehives get buffed to be notably more dangerous than the interdimensional fungaloids right out of SCP.

There needs to be a word for this in fan mods, where over/under poweredness of things get inverted.

Just a line ago you were mentioning about Fungal Blooms, which have no reward, being too easy. Now you're talking about bee hives, which have a huge source of food and one of the game's most powerful items, being too hard.
I know. It makes sense from a game design perspective regarding the balancing risk and reward. I thought I said that. Other than that, it makes no damned sense, be it canon or cannon or not.

Ideally, the giant dimension hopping fungal spire of doom is the challenging in regards to what it is. The reward of eliminating fungaloids from the game is nice-ish, but you can just avoid the region around the spire and never see one ever. The current reward is insignificant when I can just hop in a car and take the highway around it, or even blow right past it. Every resource fungaloids can block you can find elsewhere pretty easily. The only thing that actually makes me take out the fungaloid spire on day 1 is that its right by spawn and I don't feel like moving to the next town over and have nothing better to do in game after gathering supplies that also happen to make molotovs. Once the spire is actually challenging it will require a better reward as well. I've only seen two marloss bushes, ever, and one did happen to spawn under a spire once. By comparison, artifacts are kind of guaranteed if you know where to go. Maybe if the spire dropped marloss seeds/spores or sprouted marloss bushes on death, such that the easy way of destroying the spire with a single molotov will take out the reward as well.

The more challenging hives are nice in that more mid game content is always good. I really like that, but in return nothing replaced the old hives, meaning early game content was removed. Net effect, no new content. Recolored-zombies with the same difference as the riot-gear or soldier zombies don't count as new content. Get creative. We have enemies that shoot lighting, spit acid, and implant parasites. Maybe a better bee with a better or unique poison? Do we have any enemies that use radiation offensively? As it is, you can avoid all radiation exposure just by avoiding all resource-less ruins and toxic waste dumps. Perhaps some bees that guard the hive have a large concentration of radioactive particles in their poison. Additionally, what replaces the original beehives? I've always wanted hives to (slowly IE once every season or something) replenish honey. That's great if they're even harder to raid as well. If easy beehives are too good a source of resources, then how about smaller single tile hives that never respawn and sometimes contain a single royal jelly? Would be pretty cool if you could destroy a small hive, such that you could then bunker it up.

~~~~~

Love the new military outposts with (more?) turrets and chainlink fences, though if anything they are easier to destroy than before. You can see the turrets in pitch black, then just back a car through the fence and over them at night. Don't even need a weapon. Couldn't do that without ramming through metal walls with their old spawn config where they'd often be tucked around a corner. Usually the explosion of one turret would nearly kill the other too. A better placement for turrets would position them such that they're harder to run over without a bulldozer again, and don't damage each other. Put them further behind the chainlink up against the walls of the inner bunker such that they're sunk into the walls with dividers between them. Need better overlapping fire anyway, given how inaccurate they are. If you're restructuring outposts, wouldn't mind a change in how the inner bunker is laid out either. Rather than the randomly placed singleroom buildings that often manage to block each others' doors, how about a solid block of concrete with the ribbed outer walls filled with turrets, and the rooms are carved out of it. Put on some metal keycard doors or something sturdier on the outside, not hard to get jackhammers anymore and there is always a body outside with a keycard.

Code: [Select]
Obviously not to scale
+ wall
T turret

+T+T+T+T+T+T+
T+++++++++++T
++  inner  ++
T+ bunker  +T
++         ++
T+++++++++++T
+T+T+T+T+T+T+

You know what concrete walls imply that this game needs? Player made concrete walls. Specifically, non-flammable player made walls. Solid metal walls seem impractical to make, but loading some 100 lb bags of quick cement from the hardware store into a vehicle, then building some 2x4's and nails wooden molds with filled with rebar, and then filling with a mixture of concrete and a couple jerrycans of water sounds easy enough with a couple more additions to the construction menu. Would be a good use for the now excessive abundance of nails, 2x4's, and rebar as well as another use for the new larger liquid containers. Once an inflammable surface base is possible we should get lightning strikes back in.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:31 pm »

Idea for bees: Have a variant that can inject you with a hallucinogen that makes you see visions of hundreds of giant bees swarming you. It's a suitably distinct attack (IIRC the only other sources of hallucination are being schizo and eating mushrooms), topical, and a nice little nod to an old "feature". Obviously it shouldn't last for more than a day if untreated and should be treatable in such a way that the duration is severely reduced but not instantly gone. That'd be more motivation to do something other than a straight melee build, among other things.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:37 pm »

Make some bees inject you with neurotoxin a la Futurama.

Or do they already do that? I've not had a character survive for long when there's a beehive on the map.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 19, 2013, 02:10:41 am »

So I thought this game had died slowly, as I would check on the site occasionally and find no update. For several months.

I found this thread a couple days ago, and now I am happily reunited with this game, and comforted that someone else took it over. Thanks Darkling Wolf.

It appears I've gotten fairly rusty, however. It was a point of pride for me that I could consistently raid a military outpost or shove truckloads of bionics into myself by the first night. I could do so with a sawn-off too! That'll come back to me as I go along.

While I'm at it, I love the spare magazine. The only thing I could ask for pertaining to it is a button to reload by switching my partially-emptied clip with the spare magazine. Knowing my penchant for not researching things, this is probably already a feature.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:16:50 am by Tally »

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 19, 2013, 04:00:34 pm »

What are the spawn limits/parameters on wildlife? Got stuck in a cabin for nearly a week, with a couple packs piled up at every window. I would kill as many as I could as they came through the window until I was too injured, retreat with the meat back into the bedroom, rest until healed, rinse repeat. Eventually I tried to make a run for it because I was going to starve and they spawned faster than I could depopulate, only to be run down by over a dozen wolves and two bears. This is after abandoning several other cabins/shelters in different woodland areas for the same reasons, where there's nothing until I sleep and suddenly there's every bear and every wolf in a ten mile radius waiting outside the door.

This is particularly odd as I've never seen spawns this dense for wildlife before. Usually I see none. Or on rare occasion I find all of them. At once.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #440 on: January 19, 2013, 04:05:11 pm »

It's a bug, It'll be fixed in the next release.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 20, 2013, 03:34:32 pm »

Well. Awesome. I had like 300 cocaine and a lot of other drugs and a lot weapons and spawned next to a really nice city... until the NPC in the shelter shot me down for no reason.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #442 on: January 20, 2013, 03:38:36 pm »

I always kill NPCs unless the starting one gives me an easy mission (Then I train with him for a few days, and then kill him once he starts wanting stuff to train me again). They're too buggy, and too dangerous.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 20, 2013, 10:23:50 pm »

The ones that walk up to me in the middle of nowhere and are all, "I need you to kill my zombified mother also fuck you" are the ones that piss me off the most. You do their dang quest and then they wander off and you can't even find them to get training from them. I usually just kill them straight off if I have a good gun on me or I'm feeling good about my melee and dodge skills.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 20, 2013, 10:38:01 pm »

I don't know how you guys ever get away with using guns at all.  I avoid them completely because it seems like even the quieter ones summon a horde of zombies, no matter how far away I am from a group of buildings.  In fact, I like to grab a bunch of guns and sell them to the starting NPC in return for a whole bunch of training.

I avoid them too, but it doesn't seem to help much. When the hoarde wants to spawn on you, it'll do it, and they'll find you no matter how sneaky you are.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 21, 2013, 10:42:10 am »

I always milk the starting NPC for all they're worth.  Make a gun store detour while doing their quest, fill up a backpack with guns, and trade them in for training.  You'll often get several skills trained up to level 3 or 4, and a couple up to 5 or 6.  Then you can kill them afterwards if you want.

Anyway, I just found out that throwing spears is fucking awesome.  Starting NPC trained my throwing up to level 5, so I made myself a few wooden spears.  I could one-shot any low-level enemy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:09 am »

I haven't been going ranged at all recently. My last game (which I saved and haven't finished yet) I reduced my Perception as low as I could get it in return for high DEX, got myself a little Dodging and Cutting Weapon skill, and now I destroy everything with a combat knife. My DEX is so high that I never miss with it, despite its -3 to-hit, it hits so fast that zombies hardly get any shots at me, and I kill regular zombies in two hits, every time. I've fought off several brutes, skeletons, shockers - I've fought off everything, and nobody can even hit me.

Only thing you have to be careful of is getting surrounded. If you take zombies 1-on-1, no problem, but if you try to take even one more at once, you start getting hit, your pain modifiers start rising, and after a while, you can't run fast enough to maneuver away from the larger hordes, and you die.

I want a katana so badly.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 21, 2013, 11:51:16 am »

The ones that walk up to me in the middle of nowhere and are all, "I need you to kill my zombified mother also fuck you" are the ones that piss me off the most. You do their dang quest and then they wander off and you can't even find them to get training from them. I usually just kill them straight off if I have a good gun on me or I'm feeling good about my melee and dodge skills.

Don't underestimate how fast a squad of npcs will tear through any zombies around you. Although they make the game a little easy right now if you ask me, they pretty much agree to follow you with minimal effort on your part.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #448 on: January 21, 2013, 11:52:04 am »

Yeah, but they're also pretty likely to catastrophically destroy your entire world, so it balances out.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 21, 2013, 12:11:34 pm »

I have never had a friendly encounter with an NPC besides the starting one.  Every single one has tried to rob me, and then invoked a game-breaking glitch to kill me.

Most common scenario:  I decide to approach them while driving around.  They try to rob me.  I jump back in my vehicle and start driving.  I get a large distance away and think I'm safe... and then suddenly I get shot in the head 5 times in a single turn, often while still driving at full speed.

Other scenario:  I decide to fight them.  I'm winning.  Just as I think they're about to drop, they hit me in the head 5 times in a single turn.

Not sure if I've tested this since Darkling took over.  I started avoiding any wandering NPC I see on the map long before.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:13:30 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 1086