Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861447 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #285 on: January 09, 2013, 11:30:15 am »

Ahh, thanks! :D

Another one: I have a full glass bottle of whiskey, and a rag. I cannot craft a molotov cocktail because I don't have "a glass/flask".
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 09, 2013, 11:53:49 am »

I have high hopes for this.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 09, 2013, 01:47:34 pm »

Trucks are noisy as fuck anyway.

It's a bit obnoxious how 100+ zombies can spawn immediately after you kill a horde.

Last character had 1200 kills, 1/3 of them wildlife in the streets, because zombies would always spawn directly north of my Garage, multiple times a day. I decided to just suicide because it wasn't fun anymore to kill hundreds of zombies at a time because the game decides to toss them right on top of you. After you get done slaughtering every person that could have possibly lived in the area.

Break a couple windows in a house and come back a week later, you'll find the sills are stuffed full of corpses [Usually Squirrels].

Spawn rates should be directly tied to the terrain and amount of housing nearby. Plains 5+ map tiles from any type of housing or store should not be able to spawn a damn horde for no reason. The zombies would not wander into the plains to find brains. They'd stay in town or in the streets. So there's an in-game reason and a programming reason to do this.

It's just a bit bad when you, as the player, begin to say "Really, another horde? Didn't I just kill hundreds of zombies a block south of here? While making enough noise to attract all Zombies in the county?" [Which I've done multiple times in a row, just to find a new horde a block away] instead of "Oh damn! A horde of Zombies!"

Or make it so hordes consist of actual zombies [and their limb-variants], with the Ripped-off-from-Left-4-Dead mutated types being made extremely rare, with the exception of the fast ones. The majority of your enemies should not be 'special' zombies. I walked into a hospital and every single enemy inside were Boomers.

It'd give atleast some progression to the hordes as opposed to you immediately getting thrown against spitters, brutes, shockers and necromancers.

Maybe make it so slaughtering them by the hundreds atleast takes a couple hours off the spawn ticker. Something. The spawn system is broken and [as stated by many players] at the whim of the RNG.

Note: I don't mention the animal spawns because it's apparent those are broken. Hundreds of squirrels and bears around you in the streets by day 3 is a big indicator of that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:52:11 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #288 on: January 09, 2013, 01:55:09 pm »

Or make it so hordes consist of actual zombies [and their limb-variants], with the Ripped-off-from-Left-4-Dead mutated types being made extremely rare, with the exception of the fast ones. The majority of your enemies should not be 'special' zombies. I walked into a hospital and every single enemy inside were Boomers.
That's because Hospitals are special encounters, those zombies are placed manually in worldgen, not dictated by the terrain type.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 09, 2013, 02:15:04 pm »

That's because Hospitals are special encounters, those zombies are placed manually in worldgen, not dictated by the terrain type.

Entirely not the point of my complaint. Spawn a horde. The first one you encounter will always have Spitters/Shockers/Brutes. If you're lucky the next ones won't have Hulks or Necromancers, but I usually get them on my first spawns.

The issue is a two-pronged one, a: The progression, or lack thereof, of spawn difficulty. [An issue for non-experienced players who don't exploit things and game the game to be able to survive early to make up for this] b: The amount of horde spawns and the ludicrous amount of zombies you end up having to kill, over and over. [An issue for players who play games longer than 3 in-game days]

50 houses and 20 shops would not support 1500+ people. Now consider if you've been setup there for a long time and end up killing all the zombies in the exact same intersection every time. You could write this off as "Zombie migration" but it doesn't explain how the level of spawns and amount of zombies you have to needlessly slaughter is so consistent between towns.

It just seems a bit silly in a 'survival' Roguelike all of my gameplay consists of me killing zombies and zombies and zombies between half-hour periods of trying to do stuff to my vehicle. Unless I handicap myself and leave any area in the vicinity of buildings since I, as the player, am aware of how broken Zombie spawns are thanks to Meta-knowledge. But that's not how I should be forced to choose to play the game.

I literally set off a mininuke in an intersection, backed over all enemies that came nearby in my pickup, searched the bordering [two!] tiles for stragglers, went back into my garage to put on headlights, then a single 'Z' appears in my view outside the garage windows halfway through this task. This was another horde, spawning on the edge of my view half an hour [in-game time] later.

That's not right, and not realistic in any sense.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:17:02 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 09, 2013, 02:23:36 pm »

Yeah, I've stated in the past I'm not particularly happy with the current system, and Kevingranade's got it on his todo list to fix.
My cabbages!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 09, 2013, 03:22:19 pm »

Yeah, I've stated in the past I'm not particularly happy with the current system, and Kevingranade's got it on his todo list to fix.

Maybe set a hard cap on spawns during a certain [6 or 12 hour] period? And tie spawns to noise made, but I assume they already kind of are.

Leave the cap relatively high so that if you are let's say, doing some jackhammering, you'll get mobbed by swarms of zombies at the onset, but after a solid period of killing them [if you so choose] their numbers would pitter out and let you accomplish something without having to run and [hopefully] hide.

I'm also a bit confused on if hordes simply vanish once you're outside of eyesight, or if they stick on the map and move? I lost one and doubled back around to, in my assumption, catch the necromancer at the head of it, but when I came back around the horde was entirely gone with not even normal Z's lingering. This was one that spawned right ontop of my garage, again.

Also: Did you ever play Rogue Survivor, Darkling?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:27:36 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 09, 2013, 03:23:43 pm »

Alright, I seem to remember that there was a guide to vehicles posted a while ago, but I can't find it for the life of me. Anyone know where it was?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 09, 2013, 03:53:24 pm »

Maybe set a hard cap on spawns during a certain [6 or 12 hour] period? And tie spawns to noise made, but I assume they already kind of are.

Leave the cap relatively high so that if you are let's say, doing some jackhammering, you'll get mobbed by swarms of zombies at the onset, but after a solid period of killing them [if you so choose] their numbers would pitter out and let you accomplish something without having to run and [hopefully] hide.

I'm also a bit confused on if hordes simply vanish once you're outside of eyesight, or if they stick on the map and move? I lost one and doubled back around to, in my assumption, catch the necromancer at the head of it, but when I came back around the horde was entirely gone with not even normal Z's lingering. This was one that spawned right ontop of my garage, again.
Persistent zombies is one of the things Kevin's working on, and the changes he makes for that should go a way to fixing some of the worst of the zombiespam. I probably won't change the overall amount of zombies in a city, it may be totally unrealistic for a place with 20 houses and a gas station to have 600 zombies, but I'm trying to balance gameplay and survival.

But yeah, I'll definitely take a look at capping how many can spawn in a given time frame.

Also: Did you ever play Rogue Survivor, Darkling?
A long time ago yeah, I kept getting blown away by NPCs while I was asleep because I happened to have groceries in my inventory, which kind of turned me off the game :P
My cabbages!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #294 on: January 09, 2013, 03:59:47 pm »

Alright, I seem to remember that there was a guide to vehicles posted a while ago, but I can't find it for the life of me. Anyone know where it was?

There was something of a mini-guide to them just a page or two back.
The wiki also isn't *completely* out of date or useless (just mostly).

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #295 on: January 09, 2013, 04:09:53 pm »

Okay, so, you know the whole "finding a mininuke in a pawnshop" thing? Pawnshops have nothing on underground labs. I just found exactly 45 mininukes while wandering around inside of one, all in one spot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, what should I do with all of these dang mininukes?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 09, 2013, 04:13:53 pm »

My vehicle guide is only a little out of date. I havn't looked into school buses or bike pedals yet. These devs update rather often.

If you can find a miniature reactor you can take the mininukes apart and use their plutonium to power it.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #297 on: January 09, 2013, 04:18:00 pm »

Sounds dangerous.

I'm on it.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 09, 2013, 04:20:45 pm »

I probably won't change the overall amount of zombies in a city, it may be totally unrealistic for a place with 20 houses and a gas station to have 600 zombies, but I'm trying to balance gameplay and survival.

Plus, its a core gaming abstraction that the cities are much larger than they appear. A concession to mechanical reality - having to spend 10 actual minutes or more to cross a /small town/ just plain isn't fun, especially when the vast majority would be houses full of nothing worthwhile. So each building actually 'represents' a dozen or so, more likely.

Also, I think /proper/ roaming hoards will do a lot for this as well. It's important not to give players absolutely safety just because the killed the fixed spawns, but having actual hoards roaming around the city and able to be attracted by noise would be a nice improvement, because at least killing all the zombies would give you SOME breathing room, since (if you were load) that was probably all the roamers nearby.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #299 on: January 09, 2013, 04:59:12 pm »

I think adding apartment buildings, motels, etc would make it a little more plausible, even if everything is abstracted. They don't have to be fancy and have multiple stories, but it'd be easier to imagine a large number of people living in a town if you came across larger housing complexes, built to have a maximum number of rooms rather than large, comfy living areas like houses.

And, random side thought here, maybe underground living complexes would be fun to have. We can have an in-universe explanation, such as government restrictions on multi-story buildings, or transforming strip mines into residences rather than leaving them barren. The outbreak could even be connected with the large number of strip mines that allowed so many underground apartment buildings to be built. It'd also explain the large number of dead - People just couldn't escape their death pits in time.

Throw in some creepy night-vision monsters whose glowing eyes you can barely make out, and you've got yourself a dangerous, creepy place full of loot.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 1086