Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861048 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #255 on: January 08, 2013, 11:09:01 am »

In my current game, I found a mininuke in a pawn shop.

I was like, wtf kind of pawn shop is this.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 08, 2013, 11:11:19 am »

An AWESOME pawn shop.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2013, 11:22:16 am »

I'll take a look at making them less rediculous. They're supposed to be hard, not impossible.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2013, 11:36:09 am »

Molitovs usually work for me against fungal spires.  Hell, once I took one out with a half dozen 2x4s and a lighter.  Need to make sure you attack when it isn't raining though, or fire will do jack.  Another option is explosives.  Pipe bombs, grenades, grenade launchers, mininukes...

I did attack when the weather was clear. But it's pretty much guaranteed to rain when you're waiting 3-4 days watching it inneffectually burn.

Hmm, trying to compile and getting "cannot find -lpdcurses". [Edit: nm, forgot to use makefile.Windows]

I'll take a look at making them less rediculous. They're supposed to be hard, not impossible.

Honestly I don't mind them being hard. The only thing I'd suggest looking into is the spawn rate of fungal spores. They started to spawn exponentially as I lingered in the area, and I eventually had thousands of them following me around.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:51:17 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

ComputerWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2013, 12:33:16 pm »

Ooookay, first I did not believe in the existence of the RNG God but now I do. Apparently, he (she?) both loves me and hates me. That Plasma Rifle, I stashed away in a mansion but as soon as I went to grab a Science Lab ID off a dead scientist, I encountered two frigging giant wasps who were faster than me and stung me to death.

Now I started the game again, found a lighter, broke all of the stuff in the starting shelter and took them away then burned the house (with the NPC dying inside.) and went towards a swamp. Along the way, I encountered a bunch of dead army soldiers...

One of them had FTK-93 Fusion Gun. What in devil's name? Now... before I die again, I have to hunt for fusion cells... somehow.
Aye, but when you play a fighter, only doors will know fear in your presence.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 08, 2013, 03:54:53 pm »

I can usually take hulks down pretty easy on foot, even if slowed down, unless I'm playing a melee character. Oddly, they give me the most trouble when in a vehicle. They're nearly as fast, and unless I can get enough speed for a one hit kill they get stuck in the vehicle, effectively pinning the vehicle as accelerating from 0 MPH does no damage. I imagine they're literally pinning the vehicle down or something, and then proceed to implode my skull. I've had that happen before being caught off-guard with a sufficiently large enough horde to anchor a vehicle.

More than once I've clipped a hulk along the driver's corner of my car at around 30 MPH, and it passes through the vehicle though not long enough to completely stop it. The hulk 1 or 2 hit kills me as it I'm running it over because the tile is adjacent.

Fungal spires are easy. I've killed one before noon of the first day. Just fire alone isn't enough, you want a shotgun or a high powered rifle. Blow the outer wall away when the fire can spread into the tile and the outer wall doesn't seem to grow back if you can get a raging fire burning in it's tile. I've never seen the fire do any real damage to the spire itself however.

Triffid groves I've NEVER killed even using the debug menu to cheat ultra skill and equipment. The vines are impossible, and even if you get into the last area the walls will trap you. Even with a jackhammer and explosives I always run out and get trapped before finding the heart. Queens are easier, just get a vehicle without windshields. Drive right up to the edge of the trees where you can just barely see the queen, blast away with a high powered rifle. Drive off before the triffids and vinebeasts catch up.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2013, 04:03:09 pm »

I'll do something about the exponential growth at any case, right now all fungaloid mobs can poop out more spores.
My cabbages!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #262 on: January 08, 2013, 04:55:26 pm »

Trashing hoards is easier with heavier vehicles. I have a modified Quad Bike that has most of a car built onto it - I drove around and took out an entire hoard without too much trouble with it.

The trick is to put as much stuff in the front as possible when ramming them. With the wonky hit detection on vehicles, sometimes zombies can get inside without getting hit by parts in front of them. The more stuff you have, the more likely something in the code will recognize that the zombie should have been atomized when you hit it.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:14 pm »

I've got a game that crashes when I eat a tin can of beans... but MRE's and other foods are fine.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 08, 2013, 06:15:26 pm »

Windows or git, and which version/commit?
My cabbages!

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 08, 2013, 06:29:21 pm »

Windows, the version from the 5th of this month.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 08, 2013, 06:34:04 pm »

Huh.. Not able to reproduce the crash.
My cabbages!

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 08, 2013, 06:40:25 pm »

Weird. I'm not too worried about it though, I didn't lose anything. Could it have something to do with the fact that another character could have come across it before? I have 2 characters still alive that are sharing a safehouse.

In other news cots are awsome!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 08, 2013, 06:45:08 pm »

A little more info on that possible thing with tons of animals showing up.  I think it may be linked to animal empathy.  I had a character without empathy that didn't have his place overrun all the time(despite a safehouse in the middle of the woods), but I made a character with animal empathy and again the just out of town safehouse is overrun with wildlife very time I do anything in one place for awhile.

Stealth Feature? Lots of free meat, at the downside of having to kill a handful of wolves and spiders every morning to step out the door. :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:48:18 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 08, 2013, 06:53:31 pm »

Hm.. I suppose it might relate to the fact that animals don't get scared, and thus don't run away, if you've got animal empathy. I'll have a look.
My cabbages!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 1086