Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864658 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3015 on: May 25, 2013, 09:03:26 am »

My Krav-Maga character was amazingly awesome. I could take on Hulks and Brutes without a problem, and would often kill them before they even had a chance to attack me. I had to cheat to get it, but it was still awesome.

Which reminds me: I know NPCs aren't an immediate concern, but it seems that the latest Windows release has an NPC crash with learning skills from NPCs. (I tried learning Krav-Maga legitimately this time, so I enabled NPCs.) I think it has something to do with martial arts, because only the starting NPC and a "Wandering master of Leopard Style" caused me to crash. The crash occurs when you go into the "Can you teach me some skills?" chat screen. Sometimes the first page will load, if there's enough skills the NPC can teach you, but if the martial art is on the first page or you navigate to the page with the martial art on it, it crashes. (If the martial arts skill is really what's causing it.)
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: May 25, 2013, 10:22:14 am »

I've also had the game crash every time I try to learn from somebody with martial art knowledge. It has worked fine with learning from other people, though. Said crash also corrupts the savegame.
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: May 25, 2013, 10:54:59 am »

I have a sneaking suspicion it's a side effect of the new jsonized item system

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: May 25, 2013, 02:50:55 pm »

I think something needs to be done now that we have regional schools.  Clearing those things out can get REALLY depressing.  Would it be possible to make it so that within a certain area, such as a school, you get a moral penalty that overrides another penalty, such as killing a zombie kid? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3019 on: May 25, 2013, 02:53:50 pm »

I think its just one of those things in life like candy, you need to take your desecration of children's corpses that got up and tried to kill you in moderation.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: May 25, 2013, 02:55:35 pm »

I'm ok with the morale penalty for killing zombie kids/adolescents, it makes the emotionaly detached trait more useful.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: May 25, 2013, 02:56:59 pm »

You could also implement some kind of post traumatic stress disorder, where a large part of the morale penalty is stored up, and then dropped on you later, when you're safe.

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: May 25, 2013, 03:32:33 pm »

Sorry, I've thrown in a mission to go to the school but I'll try and balance it out if I can get a street urchin/lost boy/feeble orphan type NPC that gives you a constant boost to morale as long as you keep them in your party
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm working on getting missions strung together at the moment so the current order of priority is Lab Additions -> Mission Strings -> Orphans -> Orphan Camps/Hideouts.

So for the humanitarian/orphan mission tree,

The other major tree that I'm working on currently is the patriotic/military one. 

I've got six mission trees sketched out so we'll see how it works out...   
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:19:21 pm by acidia »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3023 on: May 25, 2013, 10:42:57 pm »

Nice. You got the coefficient to equal light speed down into the double-digits!

btw, bumping my last question:
Say, precisely how is fuel consumption & engine power calculated? Looks like fuel use is based on literage (displacement?), but is that true, and is the display truncated?

Bump #2
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: May 25, 2013, 11:06:38 pm »

For the most part, yes.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: May 25, 2013, 11:28:29 pm »

Say, precisely how is fuel consumption & engine power calculated? Looks like fuel use is based on literage (displacement?), but is that true, and is the display truncated?
From what I was able to find fuel usage is calculated based on the total amount of engine "power" you have (plus additional if you are over the "safe" speed determined by a combination of the vehicle's mass and the engine power total).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3026 on: May 25, 2013, 11:58:18 pm »

Nice. You got the coefficient to equal light speed down into the double-digits!

btw, bumping my last question:

Bump #2
Game is open source, you could've taken a peek at the code and puzzled it out by now. :P

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3027 on: May 26, 2013, 12:00:55 am »

Just going to point out not everyone can read code.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: May 26, 2013, 01:17:57 am »

Just going to point out not everyone can read code.
Reading code is actually remarkably easy (though in this particular case it might be a little complicated since the important code is spread out over several different files).

Here is your basic "Read C++ in 30 seconds" lesson:
  • .cpp files hold the content of the program; .h files act as a "roadmap" to the .cpp files
  • int --- integer, stores numbers
  • bool --- boolean, True/False
  • name(x) --- Functions. These do things. Lots of times you can find said function by searching for "::name("
  • name --- Variable. These hold particular bits of data
  • name.name(x) or name->name(x) --- a function referenced by something else (these are usually defined in a separate file)
  • name.name or name->name --- a variable referenced by something else (these are usually defined in a separate file)
  • If (x == y) {stuff} --- If whatever is in the () is true, then do the things in the {}
  • else if (x == y) {stuff} --- acts like if, but is only checked if a prior if() or else if() is false
  • else {stuff} --- what they do if all the if()'s and else if()'s are false.
  • '&&' means "and", '||' means "or"
  • 'A = B' means "set A equal to B", 'A == B' means "is A equal to B?"
  • '>', '<', '>=', and '<=' ask "is A *insert math comparison here* to B?"
  • '!' means "not", so 'A != B' means "is A not equal to B?"
  • '+=', '-=', '/=', and '*=' mean "Set new value of A equal to old value of A +/-/divided by/* B"
Congratulations! You now can read basic C and C++ code. If you find a symbol you don't understand, look here, if you find something else you don't understand, Google "C++ *insert confusing thing here*", and if you don't have a program to read code with and you are on a Windows, download Notepad++ (Which I highly suggest you grab even if you aren't a programmer, it's a very nice text editor).

And if you desire to learn to program (which is much easier then it's made out to be) I highly suggest you check out Learn Python the Hard Way. Python is a remarkably easy language to learn and program in, and once you've learned one language you have already mastered 90% of the knowledge required to learn all the other ones. From there it is only a small step to learning C/C++, and at which point I happily refer you to the Learn C the Hard Way site.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: May 26, 2013, 02:03:59 am »

Interesting. So that's why all the cool kids use != instead of =/= to abbreviate 'does not equal'?
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 1086