Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1828112 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #16230 on: March 05, 2015, 12:18:39 pm »

Another good rule: Combat doesn't do you much good by itself. If you don't have a good reason to fight some enemies, don't. Pick your battles. A regular house with a Brute in it probably doesn't have any loot in it worth dealing with the Brute, so just stay clear if you spot it before it spots you. You can always come back later when you've got better skills and gear.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:43:00 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16231 on: March 05, 2015, 12:53:31 pm »

So after a bit of toying around, I've taken a liking to the Survivalist profession, as the bonuses it gives in skills far outweighs the -3 point cost. It has definitely helped spawning with a backpack and enough Fabrication points to be able to make any of the basic armoring from memory, such that I can just grab a rock (as advised before) and start making the arm and shin guards, some lockpicks (though I'm not sure why they're called picklocks), and possible a bindle for some extra storage capacity.

I did run into a point where I smashed a window a few too many times in the evac shelter, though. It cause the frame to collapse on top of my character, killing him instantly.

Another time it spawned a manhack right outside the evac shelter. I couldn't hit it even with unencumbered arms, so I lured it into the basement and locked it behind one of the doors after taking some minor damage.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16232 on: March 05, 2015, 12:57:22 pm »

Usually throwing works well against those enemies you can't seem to hit in melee.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16233 on: March 05, 2015, 12:59:27 pm »

Usually throwing works well against those enemies you can't seem to hit in melee.
Sewer rats, Jesus Christ. What size are these things that they can seriously fuck you and your clothes up, but you can barely hit them ever?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16234 on: March 05, 2015, 01:45:46 pm »

From my knowledge of new england vermin lore, (next to none) and a cursory google image search on the intertubes...

The size of dogs.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16235 on: March 05, 2015, 02:55:17 pm »

How on Earth do you guys do it?  I hate most of the special zombies, but miss the giant critters/triddids/etc and the special structures if I only use classic zoms.
  I like classic zoms better though . . .

Krav maga is extremely strong. If you plan to be an unarmed fighter I definitively recommend it. Three traits I always take are quick, fleet footed and night vision. This combination allow you to outrun almost every monster in the game unless you are in extreme pain, while night vision is great if you plan to do night raids. I also always take robust genetics, but that's optional unless you like mutagen like me (speaking of which, I just made an absurd amount of it in my current game). For negative traits, I usually min-max a lot, something I'd recommend if you are struggling. The wiki have a list of traits for this purpose. For skills I always put a point or two in those I rely on for combat so I'm not completely helpless in the beginning. For profession I like to take the groom, It give a point while having no real disadvantage. It might be a bad idea if you plan to be a gunner or an archer, as both of their items are rare and it takes some skills to build even the most basic bow.

4: Always be prepared. Carry[At the EXTREMELY BARE minimum] saline solution to wash boomer gunk off your eyes

So That's how you get rid of their bile. I thought saline solution was only good for making chemicals.

I have tons of mutagen (65 to be exact, one plastic jerrycan and a gallon jug). Which mutation branch would you guys recommend for a martial arts expert? And is there any risk of combining mutations with bionics?
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16236 on: March 05, 2015, 03:01:53 pm »

Another good rule: Combat doesn't do you much good by itself.

I'd like to disagree with this one. Not only are random drops from zombies occasionally incredibly useful things like wrenches and such, killing enemies you can deal with safely increases your combat skills which lets you do cool stuff like punch shoggoths to death. Don't pick fights with hulks or brutes until you can handle them though. They can and will mess you up. Being thrown by them does ridiculous damage to your equipment, even the stuff that normally doesn't get damaged, like watches and stuff. And yeah, Krav Maga is awesome. Just get some arm guards and you're set for a weapon against most normal enemies. Having an unlimited volume carrying slot[Your "weapon"] not occupied by something essential can also be a huge advantage.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16237 on: March 05, 2015, 03:14:30 pm »

And since a couple updates back, Martial Arts are no longer restricted to unarmed combat, so even if you decide to grab a diamond sword later on, you still get some benefits.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16238 on: March 05, 2015, 03:17:46 pm »

Another good rule: Combat doesn't do you much good by itself.

I'd like to disagree with this one. Not only are random drops from zombies occasionally incredibly useful things like wrenches and such, killing enemies you can deal with safely increases your combat skills which lets you do cool stuff like punch shoggoths to death. Don't pick fights with hulks or brutes until you can handle them though. They can and will mess you up. Being thrown by them does ridiculous damage to your equipment, even the stuff that normally doesn't get damaged, like watches and stuff. And yeah, Krav Maga is awesome. Just get some arm guards and you're set for a weapon against most normal enemies. Having an unlimited volume carrying slot[Your "weapon"] not occupied by something essential can also be a huge advantage.

You're right, I once had a power armor in perfect condition completely destroyed this way.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16239 on: March 05, 2015, 03:23:38 pm »

I have tons of mutagen (65 to be exact, one plastic jerrycan and a gallon jug). Which mutation branch would you guys recommend for a martial arts expert? And is there any risk of combining mutations with bionics?

Most are good for martial artist. Mutation in general is suited mainly for melee and especially for martial artists. The only ones you may want to avoid are bird and elf, so you don't suffer from all the nasty -toughness mutations.
Though I would recommend picking up the raptor talons mutation, as they give a very very large bonus to unarmed damage. Obviously from raptor path.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:48:53 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16240 on: March 05, 2015, 05:07:43 pm »

Neat!  Thanks! I'mreally having trouble coping with the changes it seems.

Speaking of . . . Wandering spawns.  I'm confused how its working.  With static spawn on do wandering spawns still work?  Do they hone in on you no matter where you go?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16241 on: March 05, 2015, 05:23:23 pm »

Neat!  Thanks! I'mreally having trouble coping with the changes it seems.

Speaking of . . . Wandering spawns.  I'm confused how its working.  With static spawn on do wandering spawns still work?  Do they hone in on you no matter where you go?

I'm currently playing with both static and wandering on. Monster will spawn at world creation, but new ones will also start spawning near noises. It's not like dynamic spawn where new zombies are spawned in waves, in wandering spawn, spawn points will appear on the map near strong noises (It will appear as blinking green "Z"). I'm not too familiar with the mechanics behind it tho, This is only the observation I was able to make while playing.

After checking the wiki I've decided that I'll either choose the ursine or insect mutation path. I can't decide which one I'll take tho :-\
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:34:37 pm by FArgHalfnr »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16242 on: March 05, 2015, 05:54:13 pm »

I always headcanon'd the rats to be small groups/packs, not individuals. With that in mind, the damage they do makes more sense even if they're only on the large end of normal-sized.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #16243 on: March 05, 2015, 08:33:03 pm »

After checking the wiki I've decided that I'll either choose the ursine or insect mutation path. I can't decide which one I'll take tho :-\
Is your character Russian? If so, go bear.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16244 on: March 05, 2015, 08:52:15 pm »

Burned down a fungal tower and the surrounding infestation with molotovs and crashed the game because of all the fire, I lost everything.

Next time I will not stand so close.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.