Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1082 1083 [1084] 1085 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1827219 times)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #16245 on: March 05, 2015, 09:02:24 pm »

After checking the wiki I've decided that I'll either choose the ursine or insect mutation path. I can't decide which one I'll take tho :-\
Is your character Russian? If so, go bear.

I've asked the same question to a bunch of people IRL who had no idea what this game is and they all answered bear. I guess that's what I'll take.

I will beat Vladimir Putin shirtless with my fists and prove my superiority to Russia!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:44:41 pm by FArgHalfnr »
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16246 on: March 05, 2015, 09:54:26 pm »

Hypothetically speaking (as I've no experience with mutations) I would think canine/feline mutations would be just as viable, based more on speed and dodging than on toughness/tanking that ursine mutations would favor.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16247 on: March 05, 2015, 11:45:19 pm »

I pretty much exclusively go alpha. heh. c:
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #16248 on: March 06, 2015, 12:08:06 am »

What, mutants? Keep them dirty mutants away from my hobo pit!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16249 on: March 06, 2015, 01:45:32 am »

I keep getting dreams from the wrong mutation path, despite the fact that I've only been using ursine mutagen and serum. Should I worry? And how much serum am I supposed to use to breach a threshold? I've took more than 10 since I started having messages saying "You feel something straining inside you, yearning to be free".

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16250 on: March 06, 2015, 01:49:50 am »

Ursine is notorious for having a lot of mutations that intersect with other paths it makes it harder to breach it's threshold without hitting something else by accident first (hard enough that we actually have a specific boost to Ursine threshold breaking, and you are still running into difficulties :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16251 on: March 06, 2015, 04:08:21 am »

What's that "threshold" you guys speak about?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16252 on: March 06, 2015, 04:21:45 am »

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Mutation

The wiki explains it better than I ever will be able to.

blazing glory

« Reply #16253 on: March 06, 2015, 05:01:50 am »

That's when you inject enough serum to replace your blood stream and you get final tier mutations.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16254 on: March 06, 2015, 12:42:36 pm »

I have come to the conclusion that marlin w/underbarrel shotgun is still pretty tops for most light/moderate raiding jobs.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16255 on: March 06, 2015, 02:11:26 pm »

I keep being told that I feel quite prepared for wilderness survival each time I take ursine serum. What does that means? Also I can't seem to get new mutations.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16256 on: March 06, 2015, 03:01:00 pm »

I keep being told that I feel quite prepared for wilderness survival each time I take ursine serum. What does that means? Also I can't seem to get new mutations.

That is just the message that you receive when taking ursine serum. There is a unique one for each type of serum.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16257 on: March 06, 2015, 05:18:07 pm »

I suppose this could also go in the "How did you last die" thread, but I suited up using salvaged materials from the evac shelter and made my way over to the nearest town, a fairly small one with what looked like around 5-10 buildings at most.

I lure a zombie over a shrub, and wait a turn for it to get to the shrub in order to start wailing on it, and see a yellow dot moving across the screen with an odd message about "Those laser dots don't seem very friendly..." Suddenly, I exploded by way of grenade launcher.

Chicken walkers on the first day? Yeah, that's my luck.

On an unrelated note, which key allows you to view what martial arts styles you picked up? And is it possible to use a knife on a sheet without first picking up the sheet?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:28:52 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16258 on: March 06, 2015, 05:36:15 pm »

Okay.

So I've got a small problem with Wandering spawns.  The theory of them is nice, in practice it doesnt allow me respite on the first day.  I end up freezing, naked, unfed, unequiped and unarmed.  It only takes on dog to finish my character in this state; and wander spawns ensure they spawn even in the dark.
  Deer God, they spawn right in front of you, and not a single house/power station/wayward gas station is safe from them.

Wandering spawn would be better if one of two things:
1) They instead populate* map tiles you are not on, and activate when you wander into them.  Exception is the place you 'slept in last'/'designate as home' (via your billboard (still have that, yea?  For npc management?))
2) Allow me to set a high static spawn ratio, but a very low wander spawn (or make the wander spawns spawn moderate/large herds more rarely).

3) alternatively, stop wandering spawns from honing in on softer noises.  Walking around a house should not attract a horde, and even breaking into a window should only attract a trickle.

I'm considering trying to make zombies spawn in the wilderness (hopefully as a rare spawn), but am unsure how to do.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:40:56 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16259 on: March 06, 2015, 05:59:54 pm »

Astral:
underscore (?) [_] lets you see and switch MA styles.

if you stand over a blanket (or any clothing and some other stuff as well) and have something with a cutting quality you can utcher it like a corpse. B-z will cut everything to rags, patches chunks on that tile.
Pages: 1 ... 1082 1083 [1084] 1085 1086