Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109524 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2013, 06:00:34 pm »

I should have a look into modding myself, any tips on how I should start?
    Hmm... Personally, I jumped right into it a little less than a year ago. Using the magmawiki as a crutch, I designed a custom race called "scythods". After that, I started working on other things that never got released, including the infamous manamaids. Jumping right into it seems to be the way to go, I think. If you don't aim high, you won't get anywhere - but the wiki is your friend. On my old laptop I had a good number of the pages bookmarked. Creature tokens, entity tokens, body tokens, etc.
    Contrary to what you'd expect, modding entities is a lot harder than modding creatures, simply because there's so much more that can go wrong, and it rarely gives you an error log for what you screwed up. However, it has a lot fewer potential variables... I'd still recommend starting with creatures. Or armor, or something similar. Modding armor gets old fast, though - there's not much you can do with it, and Toady's system doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

@Tevish Szat: Welcome to the thread.
    I still don't like the idea of messing with the ethics too much - it impacts gameplay a lot more than you would expect. For a non-player race, I wouldn't mind, but if we're having the first multiplayer world, it would be unfair if we gave one side a major advantage. Butchering sapients actually makes the game ridiculously easy - there's literally no end of soap and food after the first siege (or ambush, even). You never have to worry about either of them again.
    Then again, it's just my opinion. A lot of people seem to like the idea of dark dwarves being technically evil instead of just flavorfully so.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:02:08 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Stoutpants

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    • View Profile
    • Drunk Fortress!
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2013, 07:20:09 pm »

I would also love a turn on a succession world!
Follow my Drunk Fortress here!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2013, 03:04:51 am »

I think the dark dwarves should be a non-player race, like goblins or Holistic Spawn. Basically, they're the enemy, and I suppose we could work this into the world's narrative.
Personally, I don't want any mods. At all. We're going to be playing something we haven't yet experienced, and you guys are already planning to make changes to it. Why? We don't know much about DF2013, except for a bunch of random details. We don't know how it will all tie in, we know nothing about the experience D2013 is going to give. We shouldn't change something we've never even seen, just because it would be cool.
I like these dark dwarves. I like the idea of them existing in a game of DF. However, I don't want them in our succession world.
It should be vanilla DF2013 we play, not DF2013: The Mod we Invented Because it Sounded Cool At The Time.

Actually, that's not what this post was supposed to be about at all. But it will only be decided by... A POLL!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2013, 05:01:40 am »

I would also love a turn on a succession world!
You are on the list now.
It should be vanilla DF2013 we play, not DF2013: The Mod we Invented Because it Sounded Cool At The Time.
Hmm. Hmm. Hmm. I think... Hmm. Well... true? Maybe. Maybe not. We should really do a poll first.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2013, 05:46:43 am »

If it's anything like the last few big releases, expect it to need major bugfixing after the release.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2013, 12:54:49 pm »

If it's anything like the last few big releases, expect it to need major bugfixing after the release.
That means we shouldn't start the world immediately. We also get some time to test the new features.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2013, 07:22:25 pm »

i like unicorns
My wife trolled me while I was away from the computer.

I've put up a poll to be the decider on whether or not we should mod the new version when it's released, as Yuli proposed.
Personally, I've voted for no mods, if this is the fort for the first succesion world, it should just be the world that Toady One has crafted for us, not our own design. I love the idea of a player-run war on the forums, but maybe in a different tread. Here, I think we should stick with the basics.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:38:02 pm by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2013, 02:12:42 am »

I second mastahcheese.
While modding Dark Dwarves would be great (and I'd like to playsee a Dwarf-DDwarf war), it's true that it's better to wait at least for the inevitable bugfix.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2013, 04:15:56 am »

The megaprojects using the resources from one fotress were bad enough.....

imaging the resources from dozens o fortresses.....

UBER MEGA SPACE PIERCING PHALLUS!

PLANET CRACKING MAGMA CANNON!

Huge network of underground tunnels.

etc etc

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2013, 04:36:32 am »

We will finally reach the stars
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2013, 05:34:14 am »

i like unicorns

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2013, 08:18:03 am »

Alright, I'm convinced. No mods.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2013, 08:41:32 am »

I would like to be part of it.

And, like many people : no mods ! Not yet !

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2013, 06:32:00 pm »

i like unicorns

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My wife found this hilarious, she says you gave her great ideas, and "thx bro"
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2013, 02:39:51 am »

It's amazing that this topic managed to reach 6 pages before derailing...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 74