Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109437 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2013, 11:12:07 am »

I just realized we can have sunberries outside of good areas.
SUNSHINE FOR EVERYDWARF
EDIT: ALSO GNOMEBLIGHT! ISN'T THAT FANTASTIC?!

I have still to master plump helmet, what are sunberries good for?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2013, 11:51:40 am »

I have still to master plump helmet, what are sunberries good for?
Sun berries are an aboveground crop that can only be found in good areas. When brewed they give the most valuable booze in the game, which is called sunshine. As a comparison, dwarven wine has a value of 2, while sunshine has a value of 5. Currently you can't grow sun berries outside of a good biome because there's no way you can get the seeds out of your fortress
You can buy sunberries from elven caravans sometimes, but seriously, elves. No way I'm buying that stuff from them.
But that shouldn't be a problem because we can transport them via adventurers in the next version.

As for gnomeblight, it's basically a poison made from a special plant which kills all gnomes it touches. You can have a pit filled with that stuff, throw your gnomes in there and watch them melt or something like that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:05:15 pm by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2013, 03:50:53 pm »

ALSO GNOMEBLIGHT! ISN'T THAT FANTASTIC?!
It would be nice to see some gnomeblight be properly used for once.

I've been thinking about the dark dwarves, how are we going to distinguish them? Are we going to have them like in dark fortresses or actually be thier own race?
Also, what differences would they have? Obviously they would have the BABYSNATCHER token to make them evil, but what else would make them unique without just replacing the goblins with jerkish dwarves?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2013, 03:37:31 am »

Insufference for light, as I suggested before.
They should appear from caverns, and be very fertile.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39:42 am »

- visual differences like dark skin (skin made of stone?), white hair and eyes or no hair and/or eyes at all.
- hard to kill, but weak.
- their beards count as bodyparts/ they can use their beards as hands to strangle someone. <--- AWESOME
- playable in adventure mode.
- are getting bad thoughts from sunlight/good weather in fortress mode. It shouldn't kill them.
- they make booze FROM BLOOD
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2013, 08:22:55 pm »

- visual differences like dark skin (skin made of stone?), white hair and eyes or no hair and/or eyes at all.
- their beards count as bodyparts/ they can use their beards as hands to strangle someone. <--- AWESOME
- are getting bad thoughts from sunlight/good weather in fortress mode. It shouldn't kill them.

This is good, other than the rock skin, we need to have them function the same, as it will basically be a two-side player war, they need to be balanced

Again, balance issues. Same with beard hands.

Yes, they would be put in to allow players to fight as good or evil, without any other major changes to their forts' or adventurers' lifestyles.

I can't think of anyway to do this, unless proper sun-hating will be added in for goblins, and then we might as well just be goblins.

No.

They should appear from caverns, and be very fertile.
Like caves the way kobolds do? Only have them migrate out to non-cave sites, such as dwarven fortresses and dark towers, until someone make their own Dark Dwarf fortress? Cause that actually sounds pretty cool, making normal dwarves their normal force, but Dark dwarves an almost exclusivly player run operation.

Remember that we probably shouldn't mod out the game to much, since it will be just released when we start.
I think that for the dark dwarves, we need to focus on narrowing down ethics, they shouldn't be clones of goblins.
As for the world itself, in the generation process, any suggestions? Possibly change the numbers of good or evil biomes, for example?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2013, 05:49:13 am »

Its always good to specify 1-2 large good and large evil biomes, yes.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2013, 11:32:18 am »

No.
Sadly, that is exactly what I expected.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2013, 03:38:29 pm »

Making booze from blood is impossible, but making it from other bodyparts isn't. My unreleased Corpse Fortress mod does this. Unfortunately, it makes everything far, far too easy. Especially if you let dwarves butcher sentients. I'm with Mastahcheese's "No." on this one.
    You can't have bad thoughts from sunlight any more than you to start with. That's hardcoded in. Making it so dwarves simply can't live aboveground, as well as trying to make them embark underground, is impossible.
    Playable in adventure mode is easy. That's just a line or two in the raws.

Really, I was thinking just regular dwarves, but "evil", as in babysnatchers. Hopefully dark towers/fortresses, which won't be hard - they won't be immortal, so you  get the towers. And then give them dark fortresses as a potential place to live.

Dark skin is doable. I agree completely with Mastahcheese's balance issues. We don't want them overpowered.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:40:06 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2013, 08:15:15 am »

Alright.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2013, 10:19:10 am »

Its always good to specify 1-2 large good and large evil biomes, yes.
I agree with this. I usually at least double the amount of good and evil biomes, for my own games. Usually a lot more. Toady has it defaulted to an oddly low setting.

Alright.
Sorry to disappoint. :-\

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2013, 11:39:01 am »

I'm not dissapointed. I completely agree with the idea that dark dwarves shouldn't be overpowered but I do think the beard-hands are a good idea :P
I had the 'booze from blood'-idea because of the barrels full of useless blood the traders bring sometimes. I just thought it needed some purpose. Adding custom items to the game isn't really necessary in my opinion, it's enough too just change the dwarves appereance.
Is it possible to create custom livestock for the dark dwarves? Like naked cave-bears as a replacement for dogs?
http://i.imgur.com/EqDGT.jpg
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:40:51 am by Yuli Vlasi »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:48 pm »

It's possible, but it would be tricky... Tricky to the point that no, it's not possible. That's the short version. Here's the long one:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adding custom items to the game isn't really necessary in my opinion, it's enough too just change the dwarves appereance.
If this is what you want, it's incredibly easy to change armor/weapon names, and create new items that are technically clones of existing ones. For example, having "dark mail" instead of "chainmail", or "demon helms" instead of regular helms.

Easiest of all is to change the dwarven symbols, so that the names are different. Instead of the typical names, you could get names related to murder and death, bloodshed, battles, violence and gore. This would have absolutely no effect on balance whatsoever, and would give the game a subtle "dark dwarf" feel.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2013, 12:58:27 pm »

Thanks for explaining the problem in such detail. I should have a look into modding myself, any tips on how I should start?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2013, 03:54:46 pm »

Been watching this thread for a bit (great idea!), Dark Dwarves could be made distinct from goblins with their ethics: Goblins consider most 'crimes' personal matters at worst, but Dark Dwarves could and likely would be fond of brutal justice for things they don't like, socially sanctioning or even requiring other ethical issues.

I would personally guess "Dark Dwarves" to have ethics along these lines --

Assault: Serious Punishment
Eat Sapient Kill: Personal Matter
Eat Sapient Other: Acceptable (Dark Dwarves can butcher sapients)
Kill Animal: Acceptable
Kill Enemy: Required
Kill Entity Member: Capital Punishment
Kill Neutral: Justified if no repercussions
Kill Plant: Acceptable
Lying: Serious Punishment
Make Animal Trophies: Acceptable
Make Same Race Trophies: Personal Matter
Make Sapient Trophies: Acceptable
Oath Breaking: Capital Punishment
Slavery: Required
Theft: Justified if no repercussions See below?
Torture Animals: Personal Matter
Torture as an Example: Acceptable
Torture for Fun: Justified if no repercussions
Torture for Information: Acceptable
Treason: Capital Punishment
Tresspassing: Serious Punishment
Vandalism: Serious Punishment

Dark Dwarves would thus have a very strong distinction between "Self" and "Other".  Hurting the "Self" gets at least a serious punishment, while harming the "Other" is at worst regarded as something you engage in if no one's going to stop you.  Theft is a... funny issue.  On one hand, it would make sense with dark dwarven ethics to have them seriously punish stealing from other dark dwarves, but the Theft ethic determines whether the civ will send thieves to other civs and steal from them... which seems perfectly in character, taking from non-dark-dwarven settlements if they can.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 74