Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Rant on "Trolling" and the misuse that pervades forums.  (Read 17418 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Rant on "Trolling" and the misuse that pervades forums.
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2012, 09:39:52 pm »

Nobody said that using "gay" to mean "stupid" is okay. In fact, it's pretty terrible because it originated as using homosexuality as an accusation to try and belittle someone. And that sort of feeling is still carried along with it when people use it.

Secondly, the word trolling is used to describe a specific phenomenon, which has no other specific word to describe it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2012, 09:41:39 pm »

[ACCOMMODATES ALL DEFINITIONS, NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE]
so why cant this one add more to trolling?> the awns e is because you don't want it to, nothing about it makes it HAVE to stay in that single definition other then you want it to

Trolling is adding more things to it and so that it can mean to do what ti did original but also can mean to flame etc

why should we have to use a cumbersome and rather obtuse phrase when the word trolling perfectly evokes what's going on through it's source (ie fishing)?

Most of the time I'm perfectly ok with linguistic change, it happens and you have to deal with. In this case, though, it kind of sucks, because trolling is an interesting phenomenon and now there's basically no word to describe it even though their once was, because its meaning has been way too diluted.
CIRCLES IN MY CIRCLES
Don't need to walk around in circles.
What is trolling is used to describe (if yours and moshes are to judge anything by) harmless, mundane or things that are clearly not trolling, then you are pizzaing all over muffins. Having multiple conflicting meanings degrades the actual meaning, and its original meaning takes precedent in that it describes the actual phenomena concerned.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2012, 09:44:48 pm »

Don't need to walk around in circles.
HOW YOU READ MY MIND MAGIC MAN. That's EXACTLY what I was thinking just now. Or maybe I'm the mind-reader. Or maybe we both are.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2012, 09:46:07 pm »

Nobody said that using "gay" to mean "stupid" is okay. In fact, it's pretty terrible because it originated as using homosexuality as an accusation to try and belittle someone. And that sort of feeling is still carried along with it when people use it.

Wrong, gay first came to mean being happy, then was used to mean homosexuality, it NEVER meant what you just claim.

Secondly, the word trolling is used to describe a specific phenomenon, which has no other specific word to describe it.
But it DOSE, it has many words, trolling is not the end all be all when it comes to it, baiter, is one such word, yes, you can claim
"it already means something" but at the end of the day trolls try to get a rise\bait someone to emotion\certin goal
thats just one of the MANY things, whats more is trolling will STILL describe that if we use it the way it is now, it just will put a lot more of them together so instead of using flamer I.E guy trying to make pepole mad
nd all the other ones that do the same thing, trying to make pepole do something

we can use one term, trolling, or baiting

What is trolling is used to describe (if yours and moshes are to judge anything by) harmless, mundane or things that are clearly not trolling, then you are pizzaing all over muffins. Having multiple conflicting meanings degrades the actual meaning, and its original meaning takes precedent in that it describes the actual phenomena concerned.
there is no conflict, flaming is tempting to get the same thing as a troll but rather a specific emotion rather then any emotion\rise

why should we have to use a cumbersome and rather obtuse phrase when the word trolling perfectly evokes what's going on through it's source (ie fishing)?
Why should we use 50 words to desire things that in the end have the same goal? I.e getting a rise out of someone>?
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2012, 09:48:13 pm »

Wrong, gay first came to mean being happy, then was used to mean homosexuality, it NEVER meant what you just claim.
You're the one who said that people used gay as a synonym of stupid. I explained why I am not okay with that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2012, 09:49:08 pm »

You're the one who said that people used gay as a synonym of stupid. I explained why I am not okay with that.
But I'm saying you read it wrong, when they switched gay form happy to homosexual they did not mean that doing that made you happy

neither did they mean using gay as stupid meant homosexuality is stupid
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2012, 09:51:26 pm »

there is no conflict, flaming is tempting to get the same thing as a troll but rather a specific emotion rather then any emotion\rise

Why should we use 50 words to desire things that in the end have the same goal? I.e getting a rise out of someone>?
I'm not even sure that we're using the same definition of flaming here either. Flaming is just ceaselessly insulting someone for whatever reason. Trolling is acting in a way that does not correctly represent you; but will cause a reaction from your target. Definitely different.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2012, 09:54:05 pm »

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Internet_troll/draft

Examples

Common types of troll messages or activities:
off topic messages — "Can anyone help me make a webpage?" "No, this is a music forum."
inflammatory messages — "You are an idiot for including this type of message in your list."
messages containing an obvious flaw or error — "I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is Roman Polanski's best movie."
intentionally naive or politically contentious messages — "I think George W. Bush is the best/worst President ever."
intentionally posting an outrageous argument deliberately constructed around a fundamental but obfuscated flaw or error.
posting a ridiculous claim and then insisting it's true unless people refute it to their satisfaction.
making loud claims to be on the defensive, while the claims are a guise for their aggressive maneuvers.
including offensive media such as annoying sound files or disturbing pictures in a message.
after successfully baiting users, feigning innocence and/or feigning ignorance of procedures
An example of a troll message in the newer sense would be one that denounces a particular religion in a religion newsgroup — though historically, this would have been called "flamebait". Like those who engage in flaming, self-proclaimed or alleged Internet trolls sometimes resort to innuendo or misdirection in the pursuit of their objectives.
A variant of the second variety (inflammatory messages) involves posting content obviously severely contradictory to the (stated or unstated) focus of the group or forum- for example, posting cat meat recipes on a pet lovers forum, posting evolutionary theory on a creationist forum, or posting messages about how all dragons are boring in the USENET group alt.fan.dragons.
Cross posting is a popular method of choice by Usenet trolls: a cross-posted article can be discussed simultaneously in several unrelated and/or opposing newsgroups; this is likely to result in a flame war. For instance, an anti-Fast food flame bait might be cross posted to healthy eating groups, environmentalist groups, animal rights groups, as well as a totally off-topic Artificial Intelligence newsgroup.
An example of a successful troll is the well-known "Oh how I envy American students" USENET thread which got 3000+ followups.

Also, I'vge never heard your definition of trolling, where at all did you get this? (assuming you got it form a soruce and did not just pick it up form the internet at large)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2012, 09:54:28 pm »

Wolfy to be frank start making sense, leave or get reported. A good amount of Fun has been obtained, but you're actually getting to stupid levels of stupid.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2012, 09:57:58 pm »

Report me if you wish, I'm not leaving, I can say YOUR not making sense, and you really are not to me, as best as I can understand your going in circles saying that trolling has to stay trolling because... well it has to

and then you say "its a phenomenon" and "your going in circles" and expect that to be  a good enough answer, and its not.

done nothing against the rules so not sure what reporting is going to do...
Also tell me how is it stupid to provided links and trying to discuss if its okay or a world to change to multiple meanings

more so when these are not FACTS they are opposition 

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2012, 10:01:26 pm »

Flaming and trolling are not the same.
Trolling has a defining characteristic of being dishonest, in order to upset others. Flaming is based around JUST insults. There is no trickery necessary, I could flame away at someone while being totally truthful.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:17 pm »

But I'm saying you read it wrong, when they switched gay form happy to homosexual they did not mean that doing that made you happy

neither did they mean using gay as stupid meant homosexuality is stupid
My brain melted from reading this statement.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2012, 10:03:37 pm »

I am seeing words. but they do not mean what I think they mean. Am confused.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2012, 10:04:48 pm »

Flaming and trolling are not the same.
Trolling has a defining characteristic of being dishonest, in order to upset others. Flaming is based around JUST insults. There is no trickery necessary, I could flame away at someone while being totally truthful.
I'm saying trolling it self is changing, like gay did, to add MORE definitions, it also dose flaming

Trolling is not just being dishonest (some people who troll REALLY believe I.E they will say there is no God on a relijous forum)

Trolling as far as I've seen used on the internet is getting rise out of people by posting things you know will, true or false.

if I go to a Dwarf fortress forum and say it sucks (and I think it dose) is that trolling
(I love dwarf fortress for the recored)

My brain melted from reading this statement.
if your calming it did mean that then back it up

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2012, 10:05:03 pm »

Do you know what's the greatest irony Wolfy? I can report you for trolling.

You've spent the last 100 posts in this thread babbling nonsense that literally defies every sense of the language you are indeed speaking right now. Reporting you would make things messier, but at the very least end the eye melting of innocent lurkers.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9