Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Rant on "Trolling" and the misuse that pervades forums.  (Read 17416 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Rant on "Trolling" and the misuse that pervades forums.
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2012, 09:13:13 pm »

Trolling is a phenomenon. It has been described multiple times. Are you denying that the phenomenon of trolling exists?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2012, 09:14:48 pm »

I'm saying trolling is not a  phenomenon, its no diffident then any other word, we can switch it at any time that society decides to

there is nothing special about it that demands we keep it the same, its an advaced way to exsplain the axction of baiting someone, getting a rise etc

we have had that long before the internet was around
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »

there is nothing special about it that demands we keep it the same, its an advaced way to exsplain the axction of baiting someone, getting a rise etc

I agree, but "troll" is, at least properly, used to refer to someone who regularly does those things or joins a community exclusively to do them. There's not a specific word to describe someone like that. There's jerks, annoying runts, or "assholes," sure, but "troll" refers to someone who primarily baits/gets a rise out of someone. It's a valid word that has a place in our language, just commonly misused.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2012, 09:20:25 pm »

I'm saying trolling is not a  phenomenon, its no diffident then any other word, we can switch it at any time that society decides to

I don't think that you understand the concept of a phenomenon. It's something that happens. Like combustion, or gravity, or horses, or photosynthesis, or childbirth, basically anything that happens is a phenomenon.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2012, 09:21:00 pm »

Your the one going in circles, you keep saying "its a  phenomenon" I keep asking how is it and you keep saying "its a  phenomenon" as your awnser
What you have here is the questioning of morality, the uses and abuses of anonymity and activism of a sort never before recorded in history, done by ordinary people. You've generalized and this is inadequate as a definition and barely even functional. It brushes away one large impact internet culture has made on the real world in a way that is clearly never going to be seen in a neutral or objective way, as the end goal is not always even to get a reaction.
This is trolling.
This is a phenomenon, a fact observed to exist.

what makes this diffreint form the word gay in anyway?
troll could mean anything by that logic, you cant just say "well gay can mean gay causes that the old way but troll MUST mean this"
*This isn't logic. You brought up gay. English has changed during the past 400 years. Troll means that; it is however incorrectly applied to mean every nonsensical annoyance, this is detrimental to actually identifying real cases of trolling, especially where trolling can be a ban-able offence on most forums. Rendering a great descriptive word into a jug of watered down water. This means no two persons rarely have a singular definition or general concensus on what a word means - at which the word becomes useless or just an every day colloquial euphemism. Such a waste for one of the few great words internet culture has invented.

I've been avoiding trying to walk around in circles; and only by doing things that avoided me having to literally rehash things I've already said.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2012, 09:22:33 pm »

I don't think that you understand the concept of a phenomenon. It's something that happens. Like combustion, or gravity, or horses, or photosynthesis, or childbirth, basically anything that happens is a phenomenon.
But being gay is a phenomena (being happy) why was it okay to chnage that one?

"trolling" is not a fact, the word it self is abstract, trolling could easily mean pizza, the word it self is in no way a phenomenon, the action, which can be described with any word ti happens to be in that day and age, is the phenomenon

I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2012, 09:25:14 pm »

"trolling" is not a fact, the word it self is abstract, trolling could easily mean pizza, the word it self is in no way a phenomenon, the action, which can be described with any word ti happens to be in that day and age, is the phenomenon
But we use the word trolling to describe a phenomenon. When people use it to describe other things it brings to mind the phenomenon that it describes; when that is actually not the case.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2012, 09:26:21 pm »

Gay was used to describe being happy, it is now used for homosexual behavior and or stupid behavior which is "right"?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2012, 09:28:37 pm »

It still means happy. It means all those things.

Except the last one, most adults do not use gay to mean stupid. That is slang and slang always gets prefaced with [slang].
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2012, 09:29:12 pm »

You do know that troll is defined as internet slang right>?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2012, 09:30:27 pm »

I have to say this, troll means what ever the hell who ever says it wants it to mean, or should I tell you how many words you use now days that are "used wrong" call a person who likes the same sex gay? EHHHHH wrong, gay means happy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Confused puppies ;-;
Phenomena are not words, words are words. Words that describe phenomena are adjectives, verbs, nouns or some spicy flavour thereof.
As Bruno Mars has observed, trolling has been observed, this is a fact; it is a phenomena.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2012, 09:31:39 pm »

...I just... do not even know what to say to that.

I didn't even say anything about the word troll in that post but ok. Nope sure didn't know that one.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2012, 09:33:50 pm »

I think you messed up your quotes a bit there.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2012, 09:35:47 pm »

I think you messed up your quotes a bit there.
That's actually quoting a quote that had already been quoted to show Wolfy the answer to the question Wolfy's asked... And been answered, repeatedly.
It's like watching a tree grow by counting the rings in its trunk, but only with more circles.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2012, 09:36:06 pm »

My point is your saying gay to mean stupid is "okay" since its just slang, but troll is internet slang
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Internet_troll/draft

[ACCOMMODATES ALL DEFINITIONS, NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE]
so why cant this one add more to trolling?> the awns e is because you don't want it to, nothing about it makes it HAVE to stay in that single definition other then you want it to

Trolling is adding more things to it and so that it can mean to do what ti did original but also can mean to flame etc

also you have awnserd nothing you give "answers" that dont answer, and then say I'm going around in circles, when in fact your the one who is making it happen by not giving a true answer.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9