Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 72239 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 19 - Through Wide and Varied Lairs
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2013, 12:03:41 pm »

Elizas invokes the power of Divine Flight to sail over the crowd, grab Patalim and fly outta' there!
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 20 - Believe It Or Not, He's Walking On Air
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2013, 02:15:12 pm »

Turn 20 - Believe It Or Not, He's Walking On Air

Gronok, not seeing a better way out, tries again to jump at the window. Except this time, he will do it better!

[Jumping roll: 2]

Or not. It looks like the window is just too high for his creaky-kneed self to reach. Realizing the true depths of his physical ineptitude, he attempts to hide to the best of his ability.

[Hiding roll: 6-->2]

Not seeing any better places to hide himself, he hangs upon the door, hoping the guards will be gentle when they come in.

In a surprising twist, the guards are not gentle. Not at all. They kick in the door, sending it (and, by extension, Gronok) smashing into the brick wall of the cell.

[Gronok endurance roll: 5]

He manages to not yell in pain and his bones manage to not break. Overall, a very good showing for Gronok. The guards, meanwhile, not seeing anything amiss in the cell, head right out and proceed to kick in the next door in the hallway.

Phew. That was a close one.

Phiali, not really seeing any reason why not, opens the door to the temple with the utmost caution and quietude.

Nothing tries to stab him. Or yell at him. This is what he calls a good sign. He peeks inside.

[Perception roll: ?]

Doesn't look like anyone's around in the immediate vicinity of the door. The room the door leads to seems to be a great entry hall, judging by all the fountains, white columns and the many, many archways probably leading to all sorts of places. Since it's the middle of the night, the place is generally empty. Although he does spy something slowly moving at the end of the hall about a hundred feet away.

Shashari, very much aware that whatever is in there is unlikely to hold a high opinion of her, tries to perform a feat of diplomacy at the impenetrable darkness. After all, it could only do these creatures good if they listened to reason and didn't give in to their base, destructive impulses as animals and witches are known to do.

[Charisma roll: 4+1]

"Um, well, if you can hear me... anyone? Anything? I'm not here to burn you at the stake or steal your meat... so nice witch and/or wolf and/or bear? Want to come out and talk about this?"

The only response is a sort of irritated growl coming from the cave. No other sounds follow. Shashari makes two conclusions: whatever is in there is not known for its communication skills (though she suspects she might have understood the general intent of this particular growl, if not the particular details), and it also cannot be bothered to come out and eat her. Yet.

After suffering an unexpected musical failure, Elizas has to resort to his other plan. This plan is elegant in its simplicity. First, Elizas has to raise his hands into the air. Then he has to let some divine confidence flood into him. Finally, he has to take a step, followed by another. Then another. Then ten more. And would you look at that, he's walking on air! What a wonderful feeling it is indeed. But now, time for the final step - the jump.

Elizas jumps forward and flies over the crowd, grabbing the bewildered Patalim from the stoning area as he flies past! The crowd goes wild!

[Elizas strength roll: 3]

Patalim is quite heavy, though. It is a bit more difficult to carry him than one might think. However, Elizas manages to slowly ascend with the convicted libertine in hand while the crowd looks on.

[Crowd reaction roll: 4]

They seem a bit dumbstruck by this development. Speechless, even. Which is fortunate, as they have a sufficient number of stones in their hands to bring down every last one of the city's persistent carrion birds, let alone a single floating musician. This allows Elizas to carry Patalim for quite a while before his godly aerial blessing runs out. Now they are somewhat clear of the execution square, though one would be hard pressed to term their current position as safe, exactly.

3 MP expended!
Crowd sufficiently impressed by divine power. +1 MP.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:19:50 am by Harry Baldman »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2013, 02:27:02 pm »

Elizas drags Patalim into the nearest hiding spot. "Hey, Patalim. I know you probably have a lot of questions, and this is really sudden, but it would help me a bit if you converted to the God of alcohol and debauchery, the one true God, right now. He did just give me the ability to fly you away from your execution, so you should give him some credit. While you do that, I'll come up with another plan.

Elizas puts Patalim into a covert spot while the bard moves around sneakily to try to determine where they are, as well as pick up any useful tools (or even a stick or rock or something graspable) that he can take.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2013, 02:55:14 pm »

Continue hiding for a few minutes, then resume looking for a way out. Look in the windows of cells that I pass to see if they're escapable.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2013, 05:04:36 pm »

Sneak into the temple. Try to find the main worship area.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2013, 12:10:57 pm »

Sejena adopted the honeyed tone once more. This hadn't gone all that well, but perhaps something could still be salvaged.

'Ah... I am very grateful for your patience, Naphezim,' she said. The familiarity would hopefully add towards the desired effect. 'Again, my deepest apologies for the inconvenience. If I'd know I'd be forcefully abusing your hospitality so, I would have found another place. Nevertheless, I have a feeling I was fortunate to end up here with you as my host. Aulanna willing, you will have no reason to dislike my presence here.'

She glanced around, and made a show of hesitating. 'But... I am a stranger to the city in the night. I would feel much safer with a guard outside my door or simply close by...'

She trailed off, giving a slight smile.

Charm up, request a guard. Make sure the door can be locked, and if not, barred with something heavy.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 21 - The Wrongest Turn
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2013, 02:17:12 pm »

Turn 21 - The Wrongest Turn

Elizas sees that Patalim might not be clear on what exactly is happening here. So he pulls the fellow into a corner and starts to explain what is expected of him.

"Hey, Patalim. I know you probably have a lot of questions, and this is really sudden, but it would help me a bit if you converted to the God of alcohol and debauchery, the one true God, right now. He did just give me the ability to fly you away from your execution, so you should give him some credit. While you do that, I'll come up with another plan."

[Patalim reaction roll: 3]

"Uh... okay. I'm converted."

He doesn't sound very converted. Not very converted at all. That, however, is something that Elizas will have to deal with at a later juncture. For now, not getting run down by a bloodthirsty mob of purity enthusiasts is a higher priority. Speaking of.

[Crowd activity roll: 3]

Judging by the situation at the execution square, the crowd still seems to be processing what just happened. You don't see that kind of thing every day, after all. Excellent. Elizas gets to looking for some tools.

[Search roll: 6-->3]

There looks to be a carpenter's workshop nearby. Surely the owner is a kind soul that would not object to the temporary borrowing of his tools in order to further a worthy cause? And if not, surely he couldn't be in this early in the morning to actually object to the temporary borrowing of his tools in order to further a worthy cause?

Gronok hangs on the door for a while, resisting the urge to whimper at his painfully bruised pelvis. Eventually the sounds of mayhem, kicking and the guards beckoning any possessed individuals to show themselves and make the proceedings easier on everyone cease, at which point the old fellow climbs off the door and continues to seek out an exit of some kind.

[Search roll: 1-->5]

Since the windows remain maddeningly out of reach for the fragile-boned obscurogenarian, he focuses his attention on finding a door. Eventually he finds one! It seems to be wheel-operated, so he turns the wheel, allowing the door to open, revealing a downward staircase. Lacking a better alternative, he heads down it.

Unfortunately, as he enters, the door shuts behind him. And there is no wheel on this side. Oh, Mo'kar, why must you test your humble prophet so? Gronok sighs and goes right down.

He finds himself in a dark dungeon of some kind. It's full of miserable, tortured-looking people of all kinds milling about and not doing much of anything except bemoaning their sad existences.

Well, on the bright side, nobody's likely to look for him here!

Phiali, upon judging the area to be relatively low, about a 3 or so, on the likelihood of getting stabbed scale, goes inside and looks for the main worship area.

[Search roll: 3]

To his disappointment, there is no large sign that says "MAIN WORSHIP AREA" or points him in the right direction. There do, however, seem to be some guards at the far end of this hall. They must be guarding something important.

Hoping to regain some control of the situation, Sejena piles on the charm once again.

[Charisma roll: 3+1]

"Ah... I am very grateful for your patience, Naphezim," she says. "Again, my deepest apologies for the inconvenience. If I'd know I'd be forcefully abusing your hospitality so, I would have found another place. Nevertheless, I have a feeling I was fortunate to end up here with you as my host. Aulanna willing, you will have no reason to dislike my presence here."

"Yes, yes, yes. Pleasantries and all that. Go on."

"But... I am a stranger to the city in the night. I would feel much safer with a guard outside my door or simply close by..."

"I will tell Minozan to watch for any murderers or any other usual visitors, yes. But you still have not told me - what do you want from me? It is obvious you are here for one reason or another. I strongly doubt you came to Cutthroat Alley expecting only hospitality."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2013, 02:33:31 pm »

Sejena let her smile falter slightly. He wasn't one to be charmed, then.

'I meant what I said, but very well. I am here because this was what Satjap offered when I ordered him to aid me. You are right, he is quite a tiresome man - but I have his loyalty, for now. As for why I needed a place to stay... I left my... home here, and did so gladly,' she said. 'Although... I intend to return soon enough.'

'I'm sure we can go over them over a pleasant glass of wine sooner or later, Naphezim. I would think that would be a more civilized use of our time than stand here making petty demands forever.'

Try to get rid of him already. It's time for my beauty sleep (behind safely locked-slash-barred doors, naturally).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2013, 03:19:47 pm »

((Wait. Sad people? CONVERSION TIME))
"My downtrodden fellows! What brought you to this state?"
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2013, 03:25:49 pm »

((Wait. Sad people? CONVERSION TIME))

They look at you with infinite sadness.

"The fact that we are in a dungeon and tortured incessantly for the purposes of exorcism. I believe I speak for all of us when I say that it really is nothing to be happy, proud or even vaguely content about."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2013, 03:42:07 pm »

"Of course not! I'd not be happy with my life if I were in your position, but luckily for me I'm not. However, I must know: why were you imprisoned to be tortured in the first place?"
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2013, 03:44:10 pm »

"Of course not! I'd not be happy with my life if I were in your position, but luckily for me I'm not. However, I must know: why were you imprisoned to be tortured in the first place?"

"Depends on who you ask. Some of us acted inappropriately in public. Some were judged impure. Some were lunatics. All of us were judged as carriers of demons in our souls."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2013, 06:08:45 pm »

"In my opinion, they're the ones possessed by demons! Honestly, who tortures people to get demons out? Anyhow, I believe I can improve your lives by freeing you and leading you out of here, but I require one thing first. Since Kezilam decided to torture you, why not abandon her and join Mo'kar the Teacher, who I serve? I can promise that no follower of him will ever torture you."
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 05, 2013, 06:36:18 pm »

Look for side passageways; sneak down one. Request rough map of the parts of the temple I've been in.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 22 - An Ocean Of Blood
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2013, 01:17:19 pm »

Turn 22 - An Ocean Of Blood

Sejena changes her approach a bit, seeing how Naphezim isn't very receptive to her most winning smile.

"I meant what I said, but very well. I am here because this was what Satjap offered when I ordered him to aid me. You are right, he is quite a tiresome man - but I have his loyalty, for now. As for why I needed a place to stay... I left my... home here, and did so gladly," she says. "Although... I intend to return soon enough."

"I'm sure we can go over them over a pleasant glass of wine sooner or later, Naphezim. I would think that would be a more civilized use of our time than stand here making petty demands forever."

[Charisma roll: 4+1]

"Very well, then. I will leave for now, but I expect an answer very soon. I do not enjoy being jerked around. Not at all."

With those words, he leaves. Ah, sweet peace, so elusive, yet so incredibly delightful. Only one thing needed to make you complete - a locked door. Sejena checks the entrance to her room for signs of a lock.

[Room lockability roll: 4]

It looks to have a bolt, interestingly enough. It looks like a fairly recent addition, all shiny and new. How nice of the owner to do such a thing. Sejena bolts the door and lies down in the bed. It's quite soft, if a bit dusty. Not the worst place to sleep, though it hardly compares to the quality of the castle's bedding. Then again, those had their own costs. But that is a thought for another time.

Right now, it's time to get some beauty sleep. Sejena drifts off into dreamland soon enough, the stresses of the day having taken their toll on her.

[Dream roll: 1-->5]

She dreams of blood. Blood everywhere. Blood on the walls, blood on the ground, blood in her eyes and blood pouring out of every corner of the city. It pools in the city streets, forming raging rivers where there once were streets. Men, women and children are swept up by the waves, then drowned in the many undertows. It is indeed quite a grisly spectacle, or so Sejena thinks as she stands on one of the roofs, watching the city sink under an endless wave of vitae. The waves rise and rise, however, and soon Sejena becomes a bit more familiar with the sensation of drowning in blood than any human being really should.

As she wakes up, she feels quite queasy, almost sick.

Gronok, upon seeing the bunch of people looking all sad and generally dissatisfied, decides to investigate.

"The fact that we are in a dungeon and tortured incessantly for the purposes of exorcism. I believe I speak for all of us when I say that it really is nothing to be happy, proud or even vaguely content about."

"Depends on who you ask. Some of us acted inappropriately in public. Some were judged impure. Some were lunatics. All of us were judged as carriers of demons in our souls."

Gronok sees potential in these people. If nothing else, at least they're truly miserable.

[Conversion roll: 4]

"In my opinion, they're the ones possessed by demons! Honestly, who tortures people to get demons out? Anyhow, I believe I can improve your lives by freeing you and leading you out of here, but I require one thing first. Since Kezilam decided to torture you, why not abandon her and join Mo'kar the Teacher, who I serve? I can promise that no follower of him will ever torture you."

"Well, I don't see how it could make anything worse. I'll join this faith of yours. What about you people?"

They shrug and nod in a serious, almost sorrowful manner.

"One question, however."

"Yes?"

"What are we worshipping, exactly?"

Say, that's not a bad question.

Phiali looks for side passageways to sneak down. There are indeed a few around here, about six in total, three on the right and three on the left. Of course, each of the tunnels is awfully gray and boring-looking, as befits the Kezilamite artistic vision. So Phiali just chooses one at random.

[Tunnel choice roll: 6]

He decides to head down the middle one on the left, through a combination of the principles of exploring the left path first and the golden mean. You see, picking a path according to a logically inapplicable principle increases your chances of being right nine times out of ten. He stealthily skulks down the tunnel, trying to make as little noise as he can.

He eventually comes to a door that seems to be locked. The door appears to have something scratched on it, writing of some kind.

SOMEBODY SHOULD REALLY FIND THE KEY TO THIS ROOM. IT HAS BEEN MISSING FOR AGES!

Quite the conundrum, there. And there even appears to be another text in a different style of scrawl underneath it.

ADMIT YOUR GUILT IN ITS THEFT AND GIVE UP!

There is but a single word under that line.

NO.

Oh, intrigue in the temple! Daring key thefts and wall scrawlings. Truly this will be a magnificent adventure. Why, it is almost enough for Phiali to start keeping a mental map!

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 60