Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33

Author Topic: How's your generation doing?  (Read 44865 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How's your generation doing?
« Reply #390 on: March 18, 2015, 01:13:36 pm »

I think it's all pretty natural, once you're over a certain age, it's very easy to a) lose touch with the younger generation and b) to find comfort in the fact that in the "glory days" that were your youth, everything was much better. This makes you feel better about yourself and allows you to blame everything on "these stupid kids".

There are writings from antiquity dealing with that issue. In the 19th century it was crime novels, not TV or video games that made all youths criminals. It's always the same, probably always has been. Probably some Neanderthals were complaining that their youngsters cut their flint knives wrong and were painting ugly deer instead of decent cave lions.

Actually I'm beginning to have a hard time relating to 18-20 year-olds sometimes, so I guess that mindset just comes with age, unless you're actively trying to be aware of it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 18, 2015, 01:26:14 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:12:11 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 18, 2015, 01:44:28 pm »

I actually consciously try to understand and empathize with Teens Today because of my parents' blanket rejection of my entire generation. I think condemnation of the youth--for being youth, and not having their heads screwed on yet--frequently falls along axes of oppression. It makes more sense to accept people where they are and try to form an alliance.
I totally agree with the sentiment. However, it does get harder over time. I'm 35, so pretty removed from teens. They basically grow up in a different world, which they take for granted (which is only natural because it's the only world they know) and this repeats every generation more or less, besides the usual "being young" behaviour. Not at sci-fi new world levels, but the changes in technology and society are considerable. So at some point, it becomes easy to see younger people as spoiled entitled brats, because it's easy to forget that the world changes (and not the people), and because change is frightening and because "well, back in my day we had to...".

It's a pitfall that gets harder to avoid as you get older is what I'm saying, and apparently many people don't even bother trying, because it's easier, more comforting and self-assuring that way.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:10:16 pm by XXSockXX »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 18, 2015, 02:12:38 pm »

There are writings from antiquity dealing with that issue.

Yup, we have Socrates on that issue, that the younger generation were going to hell in a handbasket in his day. I'd be pretty certain that by the time that generation grew up, they'd be saying the same thing about the next generation.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 18, 2015, 02:20:53 pm »

I'd be pretty certain that by the time that generation grew up, they'd be saying the same thing about the next generation.
Exactly. While simultaneously making fun of Socrates, the old fart, and his outdated views.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 18, 2015, 03:32:59 pm »

There are writings from antiquity dealing with that issue.

Yup, we have Socrates on that issue, that the younger generation were going to hell in a handbasket in his day. I'd be pretty certain that by the time that generation grew up, they'd be saying the same thing about the next generation.
Sadly, there's no evidence Socrates ever said that. In fact, the oldest quotations on the matter I could dig up while searching don't go any further back than the 1900s. Obviously this changes nothing - the concern is still an absurd one.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 18, 2015, 03:35:56 pm »

Beowulf apparently dealth with the issue of how soft the new generation was becoming. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 18, 2015, 03:47:10 pm »

Sadly, there's no evidence Socrates ever said that. In fact, the oldest quotations on the matter I could dig up while searching don't go any further back than the 1900s. Obviously this changes nothing - the concern is still an absurd one.
Your link attributes the quote to a comedy by Aristophanes. It also says Plato attributed the quote to Socrates. So, no matter who said it, it's old.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 18, 2015, 03:56:50 pm »

The Aristophanes play was a caricature, which is to say it was not meant to be taken seriously as a real gripe, and (I had to pull out my copy of The Republic to find the source, but yes, it is in there) the Plato quote was in the context of a hypothetical society that did not discipline its children, and a discussion of what is nevertheless the silliness of trying to put such discipline into legislation, at least if I'm parsing it correctly. Again, it's not a lamentation of moral decay. Therefore, :P

EDIT: Actually, I parsed it incorrectly. The quote from Plato indicated that children would self-discipline themselves if properly educated, and that therefore trying to create laws to discipline them was a futile waste of effort. That's actually a strong vote of confidence in the moral strength of the youth.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:01:44 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 18, 2015, 04:02:02 pm »

What os needed to stave all this bad thinking that comes with age off is a sense of absolute contempt for the past; including your own past. Meditate upon all the stupid things you did when you were younger and upon all the stupid things people believed in bygone eras. Also, let technology take the place of religion in your life, in terms of veneration and messianic promises and prophecies. A peter pan complex is also helpful.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 18, 2015, 04:07:07 pm »

What os needed to stave all this bad thinking that comes with age off is a sense of absolute contempt for the past; including your own past. Meditate upon all the stupid things you did when you were younger and upon all the stupid things people believed in bygone eras. Also, let technology take the place of religion in your life, in terms of veneration and messianic promises and prophecies. A peter pan complex is also helpful.

Anything is possible so long as we're certain of our inherent chronological and intellectual superiority!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:08:39 pm by freeformschooler »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 18, 2015, 04:12:37 pm »

The Aristophanes play was a caricature, which is to say it was not meant to be taken seriously as a real gripe,
If it satirizes an attitude, that attitude must have existed back then.

At least that is what we would have said back in my day, when we had to read literature in actual libraries and not on these intertubes that...oh crap it's happening again...

Anything is possible so long as we're certain of our inherent chronological and intellectual superiority!
And once we're chronologically disadvantaged, we emphasize our intellectual superiority...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 18, 2015, 04:33:28 pm »

If it satirizes an attitude, that attitude must have existed back then.
Fair enough, I suppose. Carry on!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 18, 2015, 04:52:10 pm »

What os needed to stave all this bad thinking that comes with age off is a sense of absolute contempt for the past; including your own past. Meditate upon all the stupid things you did when you were younger and upon all the stupid things people believed in bygone eras.

I'm not so sure about this, because I think a lot of the attitude is a matter of psychological projection.  Especially with baby boomers (and pointed out with my interaction today), they tend to gripe about younger generations exhibiting behaviors they themselves are guilty of.  Work ethic?  Entitlement?  Fucking look at yourselves!

Anyway, "kids these days" type grumblings are a major social turn-off to me, and perhaps one of the reasons I tend to get along better with younger people.  Self-awareness is the #1 key to earning my genuine respect, and this topic is one of the most blatant ways to display a lack of.

I will make just three observations about the nature of those more than a few years younger than me, and they aren't even criticisms.  They're just three points that I see as highly influential, although the nature of that influence varies greatly depending on the influential.
1.  They didn't get to experience the world before the rapid development of the surveillance/security state in America post-9/11.
2.  They didn't witness the evolution of the internet as it was adapted into a common utility and shared resource.
2.  They didn't witness the evolution of advertising and other media-designed-to-influence into the sophisticated and well-researched science it is today.

Interesting observations about the defining characteristics of different generations can be had, and I believe real differences do exist... but moral decay type bullshit can go fuck itself.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:54:48 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #404 on: March 18, 2015, 05:58:56 pm »

Amusingly enough, I would complain about moral decay... but not in my generation. I'd say it's present in society as a whole, with my generation probably being some of the least guilty.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33