Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: The Random Frontier: A RTD Space Exploration Game!  (Read 19798 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: The Random Frontier: A RTD Space Exploration Game!
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2012, 06:50:48 am »

(XD Yeah, OK, you're right. It could be worse. And on a side note I'm not familiar with The Eagles but I do like Hotel California.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
  • The king lost his golden pantaloons, go find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2012, 06:59:45 am »

Is it said that I like all those songs?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2012, 07:03:15 am »

(Not really. ^^^ I'm in a sort of love/hate relationship with Final Countdown, myself; I don't mind listening to it when it comes up on my playlist but when I see it used in the usual generic fashion in media I'm just 'ugh / ::)' about it.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 07:19:03 am »

(Not really. ^^^ I'm in a sort of love/hate relationship with Final Countdown, myself; I don't mind listening to it when it comes up on my playlist but when I see it used in the usual generic fashion in media I'm just 'ugh / ::)' about it.)

((The main problem with using The Final Countdown is that it's become a cliche of sorts, which is odd because I can't remember any single instance where it has been used. I just have a vague feeling that you should really think twice before considering it.))

(XD Yeah, OK, you're right. It could be worse. And on a side note I'm not familiar with The Eagles but I do like Hotel California.)

((Me neither. I only like Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane, Already Gone and One Of These Nights, plus Journey of the Sorcerer, and I've heard about two or three other songs. In fact, that approximately describes my familiarity with most classic rock bands.))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2012, 07:36:18 am »

((The main problem with using The Final Countdown is that it's become a cliche of sorts, which is odd because I can't remember any single instance where it has been used. I just have a vague feeling that you should really think twice before considering it.))

(Yeah, that is kind of weird. I think I do remember car commercials using it around the the turn of the century, but that's about it. While we're on the subject of 'bad idea' songs, I think we should throw Godsmack's 'Awake' on there. It's absolutely hilarious to me that the Navy used it for like an entire decade in their commercials. :P)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 07:37:57 am by SeriousConcentrate »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2012, 09:35:11 am »

Simon frowned as the gunner, Amy, left.  Figured he'd be stuck on a mission with a violent hothead like her.  Why did they even need a gunner?  This was a mission of exploration and science, not target practice.  If there was nothing to shoot, would she be stable onboard?   He shuddered.

He'd just keep his distance when possible.  The captain was clearly a professional- surely he'd keep her in line.

See what other consoles relevant to his job were available and their functionality.  Also check out any lab facilities.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2012, 01:24:55 pm »

"Ich werde dich vermissen, mein Sohn, sei mutig."

"Auch du, Vater"

And with that, Johann ended his communication with his family, and reviewed the rosters for the crew.  The most important element of war, after all, was to know yourself and your capabilities.

Bring up ship basic specifications on the main screen, such as armament, size, etc.

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2012, 03:33:48 pm »

Turn 2: Its the final count down!

Leon S Malard

Use another console to bring up a list of the ships crew and what jobs they do, examine details on any other medical staff for past experience and training.

Bring up records of any known species not native to earth.

Wanting to know more about the five other people he will be working with, and on, Leon opened up his
holographic watch, and did a Google search on all their names. Satisfied that they were not complete
screw ups, he then looked to see if any of them new any thing about doctoring. They did not.
"well, that just leaves more fun for me!" Said Leon, who then let out a laugh that could be best
described as maniacal.

After he settled down, he started looking to see if their were any alien species
found on or near earth. Skipping past the articles on microbes, government conspiracy's, and abduction,
he finally  found an interesting story about a Russian mining ship found deserted on mars.
Apparently, the crew was killed by some unknown weapon that vaporized there entire body's, but left the ship completely intact. This was way before the advent of plasma weapons, so at the time
they had no idea what could do this. The Russian government, being the typical Russian government,
just swept it under the rug, and no investigation was ever launched. But that may be the first time
humans have ever encounter aliens. The result dose not bold well for the mission.

Sean O'Driscoll

Sean opened up the functions of the console, running a basic diagnostic on the systems.If there were any problems, he would need to know now.

Sean did a diagnostic check on the ship, trying to fined any thing that was out of place, or out of the
ordinary. He completed his search, confident that it was in perfect working order.

Amy Stanton

"Nice as hell." Amy grinned and closed the crates after taking a laser pistol. No need to pack a whole bunch of equipment around in a non-combat situation... but at the same time, having a pistol close to hand was always reassuring. She tucked it away and went back to the bridge to examine the map.

Amy takes a laser pistol and heads back to the bridge to memorize the map.

After giving it a quick cowboy spin, Amy placed the laser pistol in the holster on her side. She then
went in too the bridge, so she could examine the electronic map. On it was a list of every room on the
ship. as well as there  location.

Bridge: north end, top floor.

mess hall: center, top floor.

Crew quarters: south end, top floor.

Med bay: south east side, top floor.

labs: south west, top floor.

Transporter room. north east, top floor.

Sensor system room: north west, top floor.

Engine room: south end, bottom floor.

Warp core: center, bottom floor.

Hanger: north east, bottom floor.

Armory: north west, bottom floor.

Navigation system room: south east, bottom floor.

Shields: South west, bottom floor.

Weapons: north end, bottom floor.

Stanislaw Chuzhinsky

"Alright, people. Let's do this, eh?"

Make sure I am ready for launch! Get comfortable in the chair at the navigation console, make sure coffee and donuts are on hand (not on the console, but on a nearby table). Play appropriate music.

(Misc roll: 5, You get +1 to End rolls for the next 2 turns!) Sainslaw was ready for whatever the
universe threw his way.

Simon Tallage

Simon frowned as the gunner, Amy, left.  Figured he'd be stuck on a mission with a violent hothead like her.  Why did they even need a gunner?  This was a mission of exploration and science, not target practice.  If there was nothing to shoot, would she be stable onboard?   He shuddered.

He'd just keep his distance when possible.  The captain was clearly a professional- surely he'd keep her in line.

See what other consoles relevant to his job were available and their functionality.  Also check out any lab facilities.

Simon's intellect was not satisfied by him knowing how to use one mere console! He need to know how
to use more. For that end, he went to the transporter room, and looked at the transporter console.

It was just as complex as his own console, if not more so. Simon figured that it could transport
things in every way that they could possible be transported. Using it would be difficult,
but he believed that, with time, he could master its uses.

He then moved on too his lab. Inside their were all manner of gizmos, doodads, and scientific
thingamajigs as well scanning equipment, and stasis fields for safely holding alien technology. He had
all that he needed to do research, and invent new technologies.

Johann von Moltke

"Ich werde dich vermissen, mein Sohn, sei mutig."

"Auch du, Vater"

And with that, Johann ended his communication with his family, and reviewed the rosters for the crew.  The most important element of war, after all, was to know yourself and your capabilities.

Bring up ship basic specifications on the main screen, such as armament, size, etc.

Name:The Imperial Unicorn

Size: frigate class 

Shields: The ship is equipped with 8th generation multiphase shields. Capable of absorbing
                     energy, ballistic, and plasma based weapons. As well as high explosives.

Weapons: The ship is equipped with a laser canon, and ten plasma torpedoes.

Power: The ship is powered by the Warp core.

Story events

" sir, launch preparations are complete. You may begin takeoff!" H.Q said to the captain through his
communications console.     

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2012, 03:45:54 pm »

"Shall we get to business, captain? Awaiting orders!"

Once the captain gives the order and all the crew have taken appropriate positions, begin launch. Plot a path to the system P.L 609 is in. Prepare to enter warp mode.

"Here goes a whole lotta something! Hope you said all you ever wanted to your respective families!"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:48:24 pm by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2012, 03:53:30 pm »

"May all our travels be safe."

Make ready at the sensor console, preparing to scan anything we pass on our way.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2012, 04:22:52 pm »

"Very well, commence liftoff sequence. Nobiscum deus"

Order the launch

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2012, 04:58:33 pm »

"Time for takeoff? Sweet. Let's fire this baby up and see what she can do, Stan," Amy said.

Amy gets to her console so she can sit there/not impede launch/look official for the press releases that will doubtlessly happen.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:58:00 pm by SeriousConcentrate »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2012, 05:39:13 pm »

Wander down to the armory and look at whats in it then take 2 pistols, 1 rifle, 1 set of utility tools and 1 set of heavy combat armor back to the med bay and store it in an empty locker.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2012, 10:16:03 pm »

((I'm at my console aren't I? If I have one on the bridge send me there. Also presuming that we have intercoms or something.))

"Ready to go, Captain."

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2012, 12:23:20 am »

Turn 3: Blast off!

Stanislaw Chuzhinsky, Simon Tallage, Amy Stanton, Johann von Moltke, and Sean O'Driscoll

"Shall we get to business, captain? Awaiting orders!"

Once the captain gives the order and all the crew have taken appropriate positions, begin launch. Plot a path to the system P.L 609 is in. Prepare to enter warp mode.

"Here goes a whole lotta something! Hope you said all you ever wanted to your respective families!"
"Time for takeoff? Sweet. Let's fire this baby up and see what she can do, Stan," Amy said.

Amy reads that map, then gets to her console so she can sit there/not impede launch/look official for the press releases that will doubtlessly happen.
"May all our travels be safe."

Make ready at the sensor console, preparing to scan anything we pass on our way.
"Very well, commence liftoff sequence. Nobiscum deus"

Order the launch

(play this when you read the post.)

A fire was burning in captain Johann's eyes when he stood up, and began to speak. " We are different
in so many ways. We come from different backgrounds, different homes, different country's, and up
until today we lived completely different lives. But in the most important way, we are the same.
We are all human, we all see our world burning. We are all scared of what could happen, what we
could lose. Some of the members of our species say that its game over. That its humanity's last line,
and the fat lady is beginning her warmup act. But that is not what I see when I look at all of you.
I don't see a old dogy laying down to die! Noo! I see men and women ready to fight for our existences, ready to use tooth, and nail to crawl there way too a better future.  I see hope for a new tomorrow, and the iron will to make it happen!" Cheer erupted from the ships crew. "Now take us out of here Stanislaw".

"Aye aye captain, here goes a whole lotta something! Hope you said all you ever wanted to your respective families! "Time for takeoff? Sweet. Let's fire this baby up and see what
she can do, Stan," Amy said. The rest of bridge crew got ready for takeoff.

Fireworks filed the air as The Imperial Unicorn began leaving the earth. The crowed pressed against
the guard rails, trying to get a look. News helicopters circled over head, their cameras filming the
event for prosperity. Every crew member of the Unicorn were now celebrity's. There success or failure
would be remembered forever.

The whole ship was rumbling as the ship sped through the  atmosphere, its  impulse engine moving
pushing it faster, and faster. Just when it felt like the ship would break itself apart, it suddenly 
stopped. Earth was now behind them, endless space was now ahead.

"Look at these stars, you would never see them like this back on earth." Stanislaw Chuzhinsky
stated. "They truly are a marvel aren't they?" Said Simon. Johann looked over at them , eyes still
ablaze "Do you two want to stargaze, or do your job?" Start paying attentions, before I make you."   Johann then called Sean with his Communications console. "Mister Driscoll, is the warp core ready?"
"She is primed, and ready to go captain."Good, Chuzhhinsky, set course for P.L 609, warp 5."
Stanislaw gave the well dressed man a salute. "Yes captain, Hold on to your pants every one!"
He then pressed the big red button on his console., and in a instant, earth became a speck
in the distance.

ROLL FOR WARP SICKNESS![/b] 

Sean O'Driscoll End Rolls 3: Sean dose not feel to well, but he keeps it together.
                                         ( Minor warp sickness, -1 for all rolls next turn. )

Dr. Leon S Malard End Rolls 6: He is a doctor, he can't get sick.

Johann von Moltke End Rolls 5: He doesn't even need to sit down.

Simon Tallage End Rolls 6 -1: With all the gamma rays he was hit with over his life time as a
                                            scientist, mere speed is a walk in the park.

Amy Stanton End Rolls 4: She was not effected by the wiggly, wobbling space, and time.

Stanislaw Chuzhinsky End Rolls 3 : Look at that, he made a mass allover his console. You
                                                       would think a pilot would be used to this.
                                                      ( minor warp sickness, -1 for all rolls the next turn. )   

Six hours of warp drive later, the ship suddenly stopped. " What the hell, why has the ship stopped
moving?" Simon spoke up. " Uhh captain, I think you need to see this". He then turned the view
screen to an outside view. A massive cloud of red gas filled it. Lightning frequently penetrating its
dark haze. "What in gods name is that?" " A gas cloud sir, and it is in our way. We could go around
it, but its electrical  discharge makes warp drive too dangerous to use. So we are stuck with
impulse, making a round trip take weeks." " A delay like that would cost thousand of lives, that can't
happen!" Johann yelled. "Well we always could go through."       

Dr Leon S Malard

Wander down to the armory and look at whats in it then take 2 pistols, 1 rifle, 1 set of utility tools and 1 set of heavy combat armor back to the med bay and store it in an empty locker.

Wanting to be protected when he was in the med bay, (mostly from his patients ), He went too they
armory to get as much guns as he could carry. ( End Roll 1 ) Which, apparently was one laser pistol.
"Why are weapons so damn heavy?" Defeated, Leon started walk back too his med bay, but half
way there the ship started taking off. (Dex roll 1 ) The ship was shaking uncontrollably, and he
could not keep his balance. He tripped over his own feet, falling face first into the ground.
He immediately lost consciousness. His lucky day this was not.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20