Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

On the off chance that the world ends by the end of tomorrow, how will it end?

Veloci-chickenraptor apocalypse
- 8 (9.6%)
CERN opens a portal to Xen
- 17 (20.5%)
Global war on a scale never before seen since scales were invented
- 7 (8.4%)
Cyborg uprising
- 0 (0%)
Quetzalcoatl smashes your faces in for not giving him corn
- 9 (10.8%)
Morgan Freeman reveals he is the Blood God
- 14 (16.9%)
Something about messiahs
- 2 (2.4%)
Self fulfilling prophecy
- 11 (13.3%)
Other [Penguins not allowed]
- 5 (6%)
Kamikaze Pingu
- 0 (0%)
Stephen Hawking becomes Skynet with lasers and relativity
- 1 (1.2%)
Moon leaves solar system, Earth develops abandonment issues
- 5 (6%)
Charlie Sheen awakens from the sunken city of party all r'lyeh
- 2 (2.4%)
It nyan'd from outer SPEHSS
- 2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: December 20, 2012, 09:30:27 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The day after tomorrow  (Read 4396 times)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: The day after tomorrow
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 11:00:29 am »

I still don't see how people keep talking about this in connection with the mayans; at this point, it's just a really stupid cultural fad.

But, if we're speculating, I'm going to with a Nyancat Invasion from outerspace. Remember all that harmless Nyaning you guys have done? That was really the signal for the rest of the real ones to invade. With rainbow farts.  ;)
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 11:16:57 am »

Hmm. On that note, a high fantasy apocalypse is the best apocalypse (as Martin freeman is the guy playing the hobbit, as well as watson in sherlock). I wonder who would win in a battle between those realities... placing bet's on Middle-earth.
I was talking about Gordon Freeman. But a three-way battle is even better i guess.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 03:15:55 pm »

Well, they did launch a satellite called skynet... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20781625. No news on Stephen yet.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 03:25:01 pm »

Hmm. On that note, a high fantasy apocalypse is the best apocalypse (as Martin freeman is the guy playing the hobbit, as well as watson in sherlock). I wonder who would win in a battle between those realities... placing bet's on Middle-earth.
I was talking about GMordogan Freeman. But a three-way battle is even better i guess.
Fix'd.
 :P
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 03:31:08 pm »

All the Mayan supercomputers will flip out because of a Y2K-equivalent bug, and all the ancient buried Mayan war machines will rise. If you think those temples look impressive now, just wait until you see them hovering in the sky, surrounded by a halo of death rays.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 04:51:45 pm »

Not to be a nitpicker but it's kamikaze. Kamakaze sounds like it would be a blast of air coming out a tea kettle, which is fitting since a kama is an iron pot used in Japanese tea ceremony. Then again it is also a Japanese sickle-like weapon as well as a city in Japan, but still.

Also according to research if the Mayans were right - which I doubt they are - then where I live the world shall end at 3:11 AM. When I will be sleeping and hopefully dreaming some kind of dream that isn't a horrific nightmare about being beaten with a spiked club while a junkie jabs dirty heroin-filled needles in me at the local recycling center. Especially not one that feels like HellMOO but plays like Goldeneye. In fact just to spite the Mayans I am going to stay awake until 3:30 AM PST tonight if possible just to see for myself that this is a load of crock started by conspiracy theorists and New Age hippies that don't think for themselves.

Which I believe would be one in every ten people. Not that surprising.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 04:57:23 pm »

Not to be a nitpicker but it's kamikaze. Kamakaze sounds like it would be a blast of air coming out a tea kettle, which is fitting since a kama is an iron pot used in Japanese tea ceremony. Then again it is also a Japanese sickle-like weapon as well as a city in Japan, but still.

Shit, maybe the kamakaze is the japanese version of "it's raining cats and dogs"?

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 05:08:04 pm »

Shit, maybe the kamakaze is the japanese version of "it's raining cats and dogs"?
I may not be Japanese but I highly doubt that. "It's raining cats and dogs" would be something along the lines of doshaburi de aru. That translates into earth and sand are falling. If you want to know how I know this it is because I just found it on Omniglot via a Google Search.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 05:21:46 pm »

I may not be Japanese but I highly doubt that. "It's raining cats and dogs" would be something along the lines of doshaburi de aru. That translates into earth and sand are falling. If you want to know how I know this it is because I just found it on Omniglot via a Google Search.

Haha, I was just suggesting that the idea of kilns flying in the wind might be a bit similar to how we say a big storm. Was a joke.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 06:37:30 pm »

Haha, I was just suggesting that the idea of kilns flying in the wind might be a bit similar to how we say a big storm. Was a joke.
Humor doesn't translate well over the internet seeing as 93% of all human speech is body language while only about 7% of it are the words themselves. And I wouldn't buy a webcam just to Skype with someone so they could make jokes with me that I still wouldn't understand due to my own problems understanding humor and subtlety.

Regardless of the circumstances though unless there is suddenly a major disaster in Japan that defies the laws of physics. Then again it is Japan.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 06:40:27 pm »

Australia reporting in; mild increase in social media posts, otherwise literally no effect. Going to work in a little while; we'll see if any nutters turn up to the supermarket.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 06:48:31 pm »

Logically speaking, we can assume that the world will end when it's midnight in the timezone the Mayan's were in. Maybe I'm just making up excuses at this point, but seriously. Let's get this whole "End of the World" thing actually rolling for once.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 06:53:57 pm »

Logically speaking, we can assume that the world will end when it's midnight in the timezone the Mayan's were in. Maybe I'm just making up excuses at this point, but seriously. Let's get this whole "End of the World" thing actually rolling for once.
Popular theory suggests that if the world does end it will be on 11:11 AM GMT. There is also a livestream where you can watch it happen in New York City.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

Russians are nuking us. UVB-76 just went off the air a few hours ago.  Many speculate that it's a dead man's switch.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 10:22:49 pm »

NIGHT OF THE FINAL DAY.

FOUR AND A HALF HOURS REMAIN.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6