Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: The Morality of Killing  (Read 14498 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Morality of Killing
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2012, 12:10:38 am »

But why would you believe that the lives of those hundred where worth less than the one they where killing?

Yes, because the willingness to take an innocent life puts you at a damn low value.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2012, 12:14:46 am »

And who will judge whether that life was innocent? You?
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2012, 12:16:16 am »

But why would you believe that the lives of those hundred where worth less than the one they where killing?

Yes, because the willingness to take an innocent life puts you at a damn low value.
What if they where attempting to kill him because he killed someone?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2012, 12:18:49 am »

It's merely a question of justice. Killing must be accompanied with a just reason. If it is not, if I were able to prevent it, I would do all in my power to prevent the killing. If the killers continue to prosecute their murderous designs, then I would kill them. The difference is this. That one person had no choice in whether they die or not. The killers do. If they cease being a threat, they will be left alone.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2012, 12:21:13 am »

It's merely a question of justice. Killing must be accompanied with a just reason. If it is not, if I were able to prevent it, I would do all in my power to prevent the killing. If the killers continue to prosecute their murderous designs, then I would kill them. The difference is this. That one person had no choice in whether they die or not. The killers do. If they cease being a threat, they will be left alone.
Again, what if they killed him before you where able to tell them of the choice? To them, it's not a choice of not kill, or be killed, it's a choice of not kill, or kill. Would you still kill them then?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2012, 12:21:54 am »

(Weird, my only decent family is on my mother's side. In Canada.)
Y'know, I think there's a reason for this, and it's not so weird.

It's called being Canadians.

Also, I believe killing is amoral, unless there is no other option for self defense or defense of others.

And there is some discretion.  Executions make absolutely no sense to me, unless there is legitimate threat of escape that cannot be solved in another way.
But someone crazy asshole's trying to kill you and your family, and you don't happen to have a taser with you?  Go for the fucking jugular, or whatever it is you guys do to kill crazy assholes trying to kill you and your family.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2012, 12:27:00 am »

Again, what if they killed him before you where able to tell them of the choice? To them, it's not a choice of not kill, or be killed, it's a choice of not kill, or kill. Would you still kill them then?

If they had already killed the guy? I'd first assess if they were an active threat to anyone else. If yes? Kill. If no, Apprehend or subdue them if possible. Not possible? Kill them.

If they don't know about the choice, and my option was still to preemptively kill them, I still would, because by not understanding the consequences of killing they are an active threat to society.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2012, 12:40:06 am »

So, if they where killing someone for revenge, would you stop them?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2012, 12:59:08 am »

(Weird, my only decent family is on my mother's side. In Canada.)
Y'know, I think there's a reason for this, and it's not so weird.

It's called being Canadians.
I think we can all agree that this argument proves one thing: when people don't share your value systems, you can look at the same thing and see completely different interpretations, with no resolution.

So, someone brief me, where is this argument currently?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2012, 01:02:31 am »

Gamerlord left, Urist McDowner and Scelly are currently debating the morality of killing someone that was about to kill someone else, and most of the people posting have the same point that, "I'd kill if it were in defense of myself or another."
Other than that, I'm not sure.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2012, 01:05:45 am »

Gamerlord left, Urist McDowner and Scelly are currently debating the morality of killing someone that was about to kill someone else, and most of the people posting have the same point that, "I'd kill if it were in defense of myself or another."
Me and DZA seem to be in the borderline sociopath category.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2012, 01:07:19 am »

I'm still here, just lurking.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2012, 01:08:24 am »

Borderline?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2012, 01:10:59 am »

Borderline?
Does it count as borderline if you haven't killed anyone?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2012, 01:12:18 am »

As an actual sociopath, I find this interesting.

So. Self-defense. Even the Dwarf Fortress ELVES find that acceptable.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17