Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flooding an area without muddy water  (Read 2446 times)

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
Flooding an area without muddy water
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:09:03 am »

Hey, new guy here. Got a decent start on my fort, wanting to build a bath house 'cause fuck it, why not?

Set everything up, made it so that the bath house gets its water from a river above using grates and floodgates, and everything works.

However, I made the mistake of making the bath only one tile deep, so now the water is classified as muddy water because of the layer of mud on the bath floor. I don't know if that makes it usable for bathing, but I want my dwarfs to be content in both bathing and drinking the water, regardless of how disgusting that sounds.

Also, the blood from the river above caused by a recent seige is seeping into the bathhouse, any ways to get rid of the blood? I heard you could smooth it out, but I think the blood covering the walls on the river is the problem.

Thank ye.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Flooding an area without muddy water
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:19:16 am »

He he, mud baths.

Use a well for drinking. That should be fine. Otherwise pave over the floor. As for the blood, try rigging up the river so that the bath house water is constantly flowing off the screen through a fortification carved into the edge of the map. The blood on the walls isn't an issue beyond aesthetic, but if you can get a Dwarf to clean one tile next to the wall it'll be cleaned.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:25:29 am »

If u want clean water keep it flowing via pumps. Pumps are like Filters for everything - even Saltwater becomes drinking water. So if you want clean water from the river pump into your bathhouse, and if want the water in there to stay clean keep it flowing through an other pump (or if operate with mult z-lvls the same pump).

Warning - this solution costs fps.

In case of the drinking: make booze so your dwarves get happy and dont need to drink water. Also you can make drinking zones for those that only can drink water (patients) and emergencies....

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:42:16 am »

Thanks for the replies guys.

So if I were to filter the river water through a pump, and pumped it right into the bath house, there would be no muddy floor?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:57:04 am »

It'd still be muddy, but the water would be completely free of impurities at least.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 08:28:33 am »

For some reason, water + surface = mud. Even if that surface is artificial. I was really pissed when I built a clear glass water reactor that still became muddy.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10:06 am »

Well, shit.

I guess I'll have to make my bathhouse one tile deeper then.

Thanks!

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 10:13:28 am »

that would make it a swimming pool - with possible drownings (urists are idiots!).

In the end a bathhouse is fun did it myself, i used a statue garden to lure the dwarves in good for cleaning the little drunks from blood etc - just clean the water every now and then....

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 10:37:23 am »

Fun fact: Mud is only spread by flowing water. This means you can get rid of mud in two ways, however both require DFHack.

Method one: Rig up your system so you don't feel like a cheater but don't actually activate it. Instead, use DFhack's "liquids" command to spawn 7 tile deep water where you want it. Do all this while paused and when you unpause the water will not flow, this will leave you with the desired water and no mud.

Method two: Rig up your system and activate it, causing mud. Once it has filled up and the water is stable. Use the "clean mud here" command (or something similar, I'm not great with DFHack) to remove the mud. Note: I have no idea if this idea will work, I'm assuming it will from theory.

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:39:07 am »

that would make it a swimming pool - with possible drownings (urists are idiots!).

Yeah, about that... Didn't really see that coming.

So, let's take a minute of silence to honor Alath Adilinal, Legendary Miner, who gave his last breath (or lack thereof) to mine out an aesthetically pleasing deep end to the community bathhouse.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 04:35:29 pm »

Well, shit.

Thanks!

You could go with a dwarven shower.  Let water fall over the dwarves, with a floor made out of grates or floor bars or whatever.

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 04:43:19 pm »

Well, shit.

Thanks!

You could go with a dwarven shower.  Let water fall over the dwarves, with a floor made out of grates or floor bars or whatever.

Yeah that a fun one especially if your waterflow is a bit to large... - again do only if fps is not a problem

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 11:43:59 pm »

How about make the floor a paved road and make the walls raised draw bridges? Then the cistern wouldn't have any muddy surfaces right?

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 12:34:01 am »

Well, shit.

Thanks!

Apparently there's a bug where the water flow causes dwarfs to slip through the grates. In my case, it'd be going straight into the underground caverns.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 02:59:55 am »

water needs to be more than 4? deep for drownings (and learning to swimming)
if you're clever you can rig up a system that fills up to a little over 4 then empties all automatically, then dwarfs learn to swim at the same time as getting clean. - if it's over 4 they wont go there, therefore wont learn swimming, you want it to empty down to below 4 not too quickly that they don't get enough swimming practice, but not too slowly that they drown.
Pages: [1] 2