Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dat Nether-Cap  (Read 2690 times)

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
Dat Nether-Cap
« on: December 21, 2012, 09:06:08 am »

I'm planning on making a Magma pump so I can get magma up to my Crafting level, instead of having to haul everything off from the magma layer.

I've already dug out all the pump levels, channels, made most of the components out of magma safe materials, but I NEED Nether-cap logs.

Iron and all those magma-safe materials are out of the question, as I am still trying to find iron ore. I've found nether cap in my caverns, and they're slowly growing in my underground pasture, but that's the problem. The Nether-cap saplings are taking their sweet time growing.

So, any tips on how to get Nether-cap logs? Do any caravans haul them in? Preferably Elves, so I have an excuse to go to war with them

...Not that I need an excuse...

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dat Nether-Cap
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12:27 am »

I don't -think- elves will bring them due to them being an undergound type of tree and elves are surface dwelling abominations. This would probably be true of the humans too, although the dwarves could bring some. I'm not entirely sure but someone can correct me if i'm wrong :)

Quick add. If you are after magmasafe materials for your pump, is imported magmasafe stone not also an option?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:15:05 am by usgreth »

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:19:31 am »

I don't -think- elves will bring them due to them being an undergound type of tree and elves are surface dwelling abominations. This would probably be true of the humans too, although the dwarves could bring some. I'm not entirely sure but someone can correct me if i'm wrong :)

Quick add. If you are after magmasafe materials for your pump, is imported magmasafe stone not also an option?

And don't forget that easy, easy glass.  :)
MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:23:03 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Magma-safe

I usually use gabbro blocks and glass tubes/corkscrews, since I usually embark on an aquifer with sand, and haven't had a map without gabbro in ages.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 09:36:41 am »

Dwarves use first cavern plants, irc. I bet I've read something like that on wiki.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:38:12 am »

I've got all the Bauxite, Mica, and Orthoclase in the world. Blocks are not a problem, though the corkscrews and tubes are a bit of a problem.

I was not aware that glass could be magma safe, though. I mean, think logically here. It's glass.

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I won't be needing Nether caps after all!

Helgrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:54:02 am »

I mean, think logically here.

Think logically? In Dwarf Fortress?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 09:55:25 am »

I've got all the Bauxite, Mica, and Orthoclase in the world. Blocks are not a problem, though the corkscrews and tubes are a bit of a problem.

I was not aware that glass could be magma safe, though. I mean, think logically here. It's glass.

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I won't be needing Nether caps after all!
Well, they are not truly magma-safe but will handle magma as long as no magma end up on the empty tile the pump operator uses. Basically, the solid part of the pump acts as a wall and doesn't get destroyed by magma as long as no magma gets on the pump. Glass pumps that is.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:07:38 am »

Well, they are not truly magma-safe but will handle magma as long as no magma end up on the empty tile the pump operator uses. Basically, the solid part of the pump acts as a wall and doesn't get destroyed by magma as long as no magma gets on the pump. Glass pumps that is.

Could swear I had a pump that was green glass get submerged before, and nothing bad happened... to the pump. The rest of my fort, not so lucky. Over-filled my magma reservoir, and backed up the magma into the magma defense system, burning the axles, catching the moss on fire, and decimating my farming area, crippling my defenses, and killing pretty much everyone in a blaze of smoke and liquid hot magma.

That was fun.

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:11:47 am »

Quote from: Urist McMontros link=topic=120757.msg3892576#msg3892576

Logically. You ain't from around here, are you?

;)

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:30:37 am »

Quote from: Urist McMontros link=topic=120757.msg3892576#msg3892576

Logically. You ain't from around here, are you?

;)
Yeah... Joined a few days ago. I guess the fact that you could store infinite amounts of items in a stockpile should have been a hint.

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:54:54 am »

Or the magma you're working with,  notice that only water can cool it.

And wait till you see your first soap tower! :)

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 11:08:56 am »

And wait till you see your first soap tower! :)
You say it as if everyone goes through a "soap tower" phase in DF. :D

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 11:42:00 am »

You say it as if everyone goes through a "soap tower" phase in DF. :D

I'm pretty sure we do, haha.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 02:16:32 pm »

Glass as a material is 100% magma-safe. The problem is that certain types of items, when made of glass, will simply vanish into thin air when dropped into magma under the (mistaken) assumption that they'd probably instantly melt/boil away.

Back in 40d, this sort of thing also happened with stuff like cloth, leather, and bones (but not raw skin, oddly enough). In 0.31.xx, the rule seemed to be that INORGANIC materials get all of the proper temperature checks while certain other materials (plants, creatures, glass, and some other miscellaneous materials) skip all of that and just vanish. I'm not quite sure how it is in 0.34.11.

If the item is in a building, however, then all of the temperature checks are done properly, so glass pumps are safe for transporting magma.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.