Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54841 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #465 on: January 02, 2014, 11:00:36 pm »

Don't even mention Eragon.
Just ... no. No that wasn't a movie. No.

It might have been considered halfway decent.  If the books didn't exist.
Not really. The books may have been what they are, but at least they had an interesting magic system. The movie didn't even have that.
Also chickendragon.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 02, 2014, 11:25:02 pm »

It might have been considered halfway decent.  If the books didn't exist.
Not really. The books may have been what they are, but at least they had an interesting magic system. The movie didn't even have that.

True.

Also chickendragon.

If you are talking about the rendering of the dragon in the movie, that's not a chickendragon

Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 02, 2014, 11:29:50 pm »

That's another problem I had with movie Smaug. Smaug is not grey-brown. Smaug is red-gold. Why the hell do you think he's called Smaug the Golden? For that matter, why do you think red and gold dragons are among the most powerful in D&D?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 02, 2014, 11:31:10 pm »

Wasn't he red in the movie? I remember him being red.
Sig! Onol

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 02, 2014, 11:34:09 pm »

That's not what I remember at all. I remember a travesty of Anti-Color Syndrome being perpetuated against my being.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 02, 2014, 11:35:55 pm »

Well if he wasn't red then Imma be butthurt about that.
Sig! Onol

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 02, 2014, 11:47:24 pm »

I definitely remember him being red-brownish colored.

On a different note, that golden statue scene. I'm pretty confident they pulled that out of their collective asses in five minutes, because that was dumb.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 03, 2014, 12:09:16 am »

So how much does a good movie cost? Not with over-the top special effects or anything, just a good movie.

About $10-$14 depending on the theater. Though most of them want 3d so thats a few extra right there.

Trouble is finding a good movie
May the mass times acceleration be with you

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 03, 2014, 12:15:44 am »

So how much does a good movie cost? Not with over-the top special effects or anything, just a good movie.

About $10-$14 depending on the theater. Though most of them want 3d so thats a few extra right there.

Trouble is finding a good movie
Not sure if trolling, or unaware of context.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 03, 2014, 12:55:57 am »

I definitely remember him being red-brownish colored.

On a different note, that golden statue scene. I'm pretty confident they pulled that out of their collective asses in five minutes, because that was dumb.
My question's why wasn't there any gold outside the neat pool it formed? Bad CGI there.
Sig! Onol

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 03, 2014, 02:19:48 am »

Tonally they would be too dark to fit with the Jackson movies so far, maybe even to the point where they wouldn't be commercially viable, because the Jackson movies are aimed at a relatively broad audience.
I'd have to argue with you on that one... Peter Jackson has always said he makes his movies for himself, and if a wide audience likes it too, cool. His tone in LOTR was fairly dark, and it worked pretty well, but it doesn't work so well with The Hobbit. Some things he got really right in ways only a true fanboy could, like casting Arthur Dent as Bilbo, but others... well I think "story for a younger audience" let loose his inner 13-year old fanboy all over it.

Two of my most beloved franchises when I was younger were Eragon and Avatar: The Last Airbender. I am perhaps somewhat desensitized to mistakes in adaptations because of this.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 03, 2014, 11:11:55 am »

I'd have to argue with you on that one... Peter Jackson has always said he makes his movies for himself, and if a wide audience likes it too, cool. His tone in LOTR was fairly dark, and it worked pretty well, but it doesn't work so well with The Hobbit. Some things he got really right in ways only a true fanboy could, like casting Arthur Dent as Bilbo, but others... well I think "story for a younger audience" let loose his inner 13-year old fanboy all over it.
I don't doubt at all that Jackson is a huge fanboy who has put a lot of thought and work into his adaptions. Sure, I would have made some different choices, as everyone else who loved the books probably has something they would have liked to be different. But adapting a story into another medium is tricky (especially stretching the Hobbit into 3 movies), so I'm overall pretty happy with the results.
It's clear however that these movies are aimed at a broad audience, who hasn't read the books, and is completely unfamiliar with the world. That makes sense too because at that budget the studio will want to see a lot of money. It's not "lowest common denominator", but the movies are made to work well for an audience who's just watching for the spectacle.
With potential Silmarillion movies you'd have the problem that there are no hobbits, sometimes even no humans, in these stories, so the audience lacks someone relatable who explores the world with them. There is no humour really, which had a big part in the Hobbit and LOTR (both books and movies). And the stories are pretty dark, evil is never really defeated, everyone tends to die at the end of their story, Children of Hurin even has incest. The most filmable stories are much more straightforward storytelling than LOTR, but they are classic tragedys, they would not work as family movies and they would lack most of what made the LOTR movies so accessible for non-fans. So from a commercial point of view, I doubt a studio would sink as much money into the Silmarillion as they have with the other movies.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 03, 2014, 12:03:16 pm »

I don't know, I could see Jackson trying to milk the franchise some more by heavily distorting the Silmarillion (which will be even easier since less people read it/know about it). That's only if the Tolkien Estate give him the right though.

Or maybe some new, fresh adventure using the Middle Earth as a background?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 03, 2014, 12:15:20 pm »

I'd be okay with this, but if there was this much rage over a bad adaptation, imagine the hatred of anything new Jackson comes up with. Even if it's at least passable, the rage would boil oceans.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 03, 2014, 12:22:37 pm »

Maybe a film set 100-200 years after the events of Lord of The Rings?

With Sauron forever cut from interfering with Middle earth, he's no longer a threat.
So what else could threaten the stability of the world?
Perhaps a war breaks out between Mankind and the Elves?
Or some remaining Orcs manages to rebuild an army by themselves?
Maybe Smaug even returns as a Dracolich?

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40