Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54844 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #450 on: January 02, 2014, 09:32:13 pm »

So, what you're saying is that we need to peg a AAA director to film a Dwarf Fortress movie?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 02, 2014, 09:33:48 pm »

So how much does a good movie cost? Not with over-the top special effects or anything, just a good movie.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 02, 2014, 09:48:27 pm »

Know what my beef with Smaug was? He wasn't big enough. He was described in the book as shaking the mountain roots, but in the movie he was ... too small.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 02, 2014, 10:12:21 pm »

So, what you're saying is that we need to peg a AAA director to film a Dwarf Fortress movie?

Yes.  Or just make one ourselves.

Personally, I've been wanting to do an epic DF hypercomic for a long time.

And I very much agree that fantasy is severely lacking in film.  There are very few good examples.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:15:03 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 02, 2014, 10:19:45 pm »

Do animated films count as "film"?

If so, watch The Last Unicorn.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 02, 2014, 10:39:45 pm »

High fantasy / epic fantasy / sword & sorcery (discounting everything else that is advertised as fantasy) is extremely lacking in movies. The only big-budget film in that genre I can think of is Willow, but that wasn't a huge success at the time, so no more were made. Everything else is animated or B-movie stuff, mostly from the 80s. Many of these are very enjoyable, but in that genre there is nothing that can compare to the Jackson movies in terms of budget, design etc., which is probably why I like them despite all the (sometimes very viable) complaints. I mean, I actually saw this abomination in a theatre.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 02, 2014, 10:42:25 pm »

I can already see the gimmick line: 'See the movie that was very nearly banned upon the conception of the idea!'

So how much does a good movie cost? Not with over-the top special effects or anything, just a good movie.

I can't find an average figure, though if it is entirely volunteer work, and it is released without advertisement, then it could cost nothing, but a kickstarter could be set-up to serve as advertising, with all the money gained being donated to Toady afterwards.  Might want to get Toady's permission to make the movie, though.  Maybe put it up on a channel on some site, that after the movie is put upon it could host Dwarf Fortress Let's Plays.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 02, 2014, 10:46:08 pm »

(god help us, Galadriel was alive for the entire damn thing, not to mention Elrond's presence at the tail-end)

Worse man, Gandalf was alive the entire time.  Yeah he was overseas but do you see that mattering?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 02, 2014, 10:48:39 pm »

There is this relatively good-looking LOTR fan film, The Hunt for Gollum, that apparently cost only 5000 USD. It has no magma in it, so the figure probably doesn't apply for a DF movie.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2014, 10:48:57 pm »

Do animated films count as "film"?

If so, watch The Last Unicorn.

That is one I know I need to see.

And come to think of it, I wasn't considering animated films.  That does expand the list greatly.

High fantasy / epic fantasy / sword & sorcery (discounting everything else that is advertised as fantasy) is extremely lacking in movies. The only big-budget film in that genre I can think of is Willow, but that wasn't a huge success at the time, so no more were made. Everything else is animated or B-movie stuff, mostly from the 80s. Many of these are very enjoyable, but in that genre there is nothing that can compare to the Jackson movies in terms of budget, design etc., which is probably why I like them despite all the (sometimes very viable) complaints. I mean, I actually saw this abomination in a theatre.

I liked Schwarzenegger's Conan films.  Though I admit it's been a very long time since I saw them.

Quick glance at Wikipedia... I'd also count Legend and Excalibur (not high fantasy, but it feels like it fits anyway) among good examples.  Eragon and Chronicles of Narnia as not necessarily great, but big budget productions, at least.

And... yeah... that's all I can come up with at the moment for really notable live-action fantasy films.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 02, 2014, 10:50:50 pm »

Don't even mention Eragon.
Just ... no. No that wasn't a movie. No.
Sig! Onol

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 02, 2014, 10:53:06 pm »

Only mentioned as notable for being a big budget live-action fantasy film.  It could be worse.  I could have listed Uwe Boll's Dungeon Siege film.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 02, 2014, 10:55:41 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Sig! Onol

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 02, 2014, 10:57:50 pm »

Loved the Conan movies too, but I'd count them closer to B-movies than big-budget productions. That new Conan movie is horrible BTW. Legend and Excalibur can count, they definitely look great for the time. Eragon I haven't seen and what I've seen from the Narnia movies looked rather cheap.
If you haven't seen it, The Last Unicorn is a must. Has a bit of a unique look and holds up quite well.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 02, 2014, 10:58:04 pm »

It might have been considered halfway decent.  If the books didn't exist.

There is this relatively good-looking LOTR fan film, The Hunt for Gollum, that apparently cost only 5000 USD. It has no magma in it, so the figure probably doesn't apply for a DF movie.

As I had said, it strongly depends on how many people are needed to be hired.  If the entire thing could be handled by volunteers, then it would cost near nothing, if not nothing, to create.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40